Author Topic: What do you drive?  (Read 114918 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: What do you drive?
« Reply #330 on: March 26, 2011, 04:50 PM »
The thing I notice most in it is at highway speeds you really notice that you are driving something with a vertical windshield.  I have a gruelling 5 mile commute so it is not a major thing.

Hah, yeah...  I forgot that.

My gf's is red, and we call it the "little brick".  I don't know how bad wind can get down your way, but up here it can rip through the valleys pretty good on some days, and crossing the rivers on the high bridges can be a real experience when driving the "little brick".

And it's become almost a joke that every time I'm driving it, it's a wind advisory day...  But still fun for sure. 

Another thing I like about the Wrangler, it's the most maneuverable vehicle I've ever driven besides a US Mail truck...  the USPS uses S10's with aluminum bodies, and their front wheel width is shortened so it can turn on a dime to a point it easily will tip.  It's the only thing I've ever driven that is sharper to turn than a Jeep Wrangler...  They can fit into the tiniest parking spots because of that though.  In a city like Pittsburgh, it's helpful.  Not sure if that's something you'll care about down there though.  It helped in Chicago though, for certain.

Diane's is a 4.0, 6 Cy., 5-speed, it's pretty powerful...  What do they have now?  Hers really has a nice jump from a dead start.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 21, 2011, 10:55 PM »
Well, I finally decided to take on a new car payment and sold my beloved F150 and bought a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.  As soon as I get my cash for selling my pickup, I'll be adding some black rims and All Terrain tires to the Jeep.  I'd like to go with some hard core mud terrain tires, but I won't be off road every day, so ATs will do.  I'm planning to add a cargo rack, cold air induction, front bumper with grill guard and possibly a winch. Anyway, here's what I'm rolling in for now.

2008 model with only 29000 on it.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #332 on: August 21, 2011, 11:58 PM »
Nice score, Chris!

I almost bought one, but decided the Liberty was better with the baby (who was born a week later).
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #333 on: August 22, 2011, 02:09 AM »
I too, am now in a Jeep Wrangler as my 2nd car...  :)  My gf got a new used car (Mustang convertible), and didn't want her 98 Wrangler, so it's now mine.  Brought it home tonight...  I have some things to do with it that I've wanted to do but getting it off of her to take care of it isn't easy.  Now that it's mine, and a 2nd vehicle, I'll have time to just roll it in to do upgrades (and the same for my old car, which sorely needs some body work right now).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 22, 2011, 11:28 PM »
The Jeep looks awesome Chris.  Congrats.

Our car is paid off next month, we owe $90 on it.  I'm really excited.  We're going to keep making a car payment to ourselves for the next two or three years into savings so that we can put a big fat down payment on the next car.  We're thinking Subaru.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 3, 2011, 03:28 PM »
And now I have new wheels and better quality tires.  I'd love to build it into a rock climber, but the cost is a bit prohibitive.  Instead I'll stick with my hunting trips and light mud duty.  I'm probably going to put some spacers up front to level it out and possibly take off the step up bars.

Down the road I'm looking at a new bumper and fender flares.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 14, 2011, 11:01 AM »
So I traded in my 06 Eddie Bauer Explorer last week and the dealership I sold it to is selling it for $700 more then what I paid for it back in 08.  Just wondering how that is possible or is the dealership just insane?  All I did to it was put on a bug shield and some wind deflectors over the side windows.  Oh and I put 35k miles on it, needed new tires, was a MASSIVE gas sucker, and it had some hail damage.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 16, 2011, 09:20 PM »
It might be partly because it wasn't traded in on the cash for clunkers program that took a lot of those types of vehicles off the road, vehicles that couldn't be re-sold, making this more rare?  Plus, from what I've heard, used car prices were up somewhat because there was demand for them over new, partly due to the economy.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #338 on: October 18, 2011, 02:22 AM »
The latter part of what Eric said is my bet on that iFett...  Used cars are up right now, pretty high.  I was offered more than I paid for my car some time ago, and it's in rough shape now these days.  I'm taking it off the road actually to do major repairs to it now that it's kind of hit "beater" status.  I want to salvage it as best I can, get new top, doors, engine overhauled...  I paid $2400 for it about 8 years ago, and was offered $2500 for it just the other day by a guy who noticed I hadn't driven it since I got my Jeep.  Go figure.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 20, 2011, 02:23 PM »
Early this year we traded in our 2001 Citroën Xsara station for a 2004 Mazda 3 hatchback. Finally rid of that European piece of junk. Give me Japanese anytime (no offense to my fellow American JediDefenders).

And we got rid of our '96 Hyundai Excel and got a 2007 Suzuki Swift back. Funny little car with a harder suspension than the Mazda. That's just what I like  ;D

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 10, 2012, 07:33 PM »
Got REAL SICK of my pudgy stock tires and lame 16" plastic rim things....might throw them back on for the Winter though.

So upgraded to some stock 18" Maxima rims and tires....lost a few mpg, but looks pretty swell if I must say so myself...

Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 7, 2012, 11:04 AM »
I just bought a 2013 Hyundai Sonata with the navigation package, 18" wheels and 2.0 turbo. It will replace my ten year old Accent.

« Last Edit: September 7, 2012, 11:04 AM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 7, 2012, 12:24 PM »
Nice!  I almost bought a Sonata before I decided to go with the Altima.  Instrument cluster was very bright from what I remember.  Was kinda distracting on my test drives actually, but I'm sure it can be toned down unless the one I was driving was a freak.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 8, 2012, 04:13 PM »
It can be distracting if its all the way up. I turn it down a little. The thing that distracts me is the GPS and XM radio. I love being able to see title songs and traffic conditions. Of course, I'm coming from a car that has no eletronics at all. The Accent didn't even have automatic windows or locks! I was lucky to have air in that car. The Sonata is lot more plush. It reminds me of my old T-Bird.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 25, 2012, 06:08 PM »
My replacement car for my 1999 Windstar that was written off 2 nites before I left for CVI.   >:(

2012 KIA Forte 5.  8)