Author Topic: AT-RT - the walker army-builder  (Read 24653 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
AT-RT - the walker army-builder
« on: February 4, 2005, 02:35 PM »
I think this should be a very fun vehicle to army-build - and probably not too expensive either - who else likes this design?

:P

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: AT-RT - the walker army-builder
« Reply #1 on: February 4, 2005, 03:24 PM »
I don't army build.  However, it does look cool IMO. 

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #2 on: February 4, 2005, 06:28 PM »
It looks cool.  Anyone know if they're making a toy out of it?

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 4, 2005, 07:36 PM »
Hope it doesn't cost too much.

SilverZ

« Reply #4 on: February 4, 2005, 07:39 PM »
Where's that pic from, Chewie? That's the clearest shot I've seen of the RT. Thanks for posting it.

I love the design and will definitely be down with building a nice army of 'em.

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 4, 2005, 07:41 PM »
In all my worries about price I forgot to mention how much I like it. :-[ Silly me. :P

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 4, 2005, 08:59 PM »
Where's that pic from, Chewie? That's the clearest shot I've seen of the RT. Thanks for posting it.

I love the design and will definitely be down with building a nice army of 'em.

Someone had a link to it over at scum I think.

They would be idiots to not make this, and in decent quantities... as for price, I would say this would go for about $20.00 - I would like to get several of them.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 4, 2005, 10:03 PM »
I love this thing! I'll take just as about as many I as I can get!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 4, 2005, 10:16 PM »
They would be idiots to not make this, and in decent quantities... as for price, I would say this would go for about $20.00 - I would like to get several of them.

That would almost seem like too much to me. It looks like the Ep 1 preview STAP - and that cost like $10 when it was released, I think.... maybe $15 at most. If these can be produced for like $10 each, you can put me down for about 20. That clone looks really cool, especially if Hasbro uses the SA Clone body for the figure.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 4, 2005, 10:23 PM »
Well, I'd be all for it being under $20.00 - the cheaper priced the better...

But I think that the Preview STAP retailed for $14.99 - and I think this would involve a bit more tooling with the legs and hopeful articulation.  Who knows, I hope you are right.   :)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 4, 2005, 11:06 PM »
Well, whatever it retailed for originally, I can remember picking up a few for like $2 on clearance, so we'll see what happens...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 4, 2005, 11:21 PM »
Damn, I think the cheapest I saw them for was about $5 - I'm sure the AT-RT would be a bit more popular and that wouldn't happen.  But if it did, I'd go crazy on army-building.   :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: February 4, 2005, 11:36 PM »
I dig the AT-RT for the most part...  It's cool, and a bit of a throwback to an AT-PT as far as walkers go.  Personal, kind of an anti-infantry weapon or a heavy fire support weapon that walks itself around (An E-Web with legs, if you will).

I like how this same discussion "elsewhere" is fixated on this being a precursor of sorts to another design...  The same thing was said of the AT-TE when it was unveiled.  It's like one can't just be independant of the other...  Designed for a completely different purpose.  Rather it HAS to be the evolutionary step towards something else...  it has to be connected to walkers from the classic trilogy in some way, as if this technology just SUDDENLY existed when the Republic got Clones. :)

AT-RT doesn't even imply the same job that AT-ST does, so I'm not even thinking of these as being remotely the same or related...  They have 2 legs, that's their ONLY similarity to me.  The AT-TE and AT-AT didn't even have that, haha.  People still drew an analogy to those two though which I simply don't see at all.  Different vehicles for different purposes as I see it, and may both be in use by the time of ESB.

If this thing reminded me of anything it's the AT-PT which looks like an evolved version of this because it encases the driver in armor on the AT-PT and adds a different gun (duel cannon) to the nose..  More squat (stable) too.  If one looks like it lead to another, I'd say that's the more likely.  The AT-ST's a much larger, much heavier design...  Comparing the RT to the ST is like saying the jeep lead to the Abrahams rather than the jeep helped loosely lead to the Humvee I think...  for a military analogy.

Anyway...

As far as a toy goes, completely doable in a to-scale version.  Hasbro's got no excuse not to.  It's a personal walker that I dig...  needs made, and no reason a simple one (IE: No action features) can't be done for a $15 on the low end or $20 on the high end.  The pilot doesn't appear to have the same body as any other Clone...  Armor looks different, so I'm guessing a reused figure isn't cool to me, but I woudl dig it either way.

What other companies can deliver for $15 - $20 is pretty impressive so this should be no different given how relatively tiny it actually is. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #13 on: February 5, 2005, 01:42 AM »
I'd buy one. Maybe more depending on its role in the film.

IF the toy gets made.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 5, 2005, 02:05 PM »
I like your thoughts on the evolution of these JJ - I agree, no reason why these couldn't have still been in use during the reign of the Empire during the Galactic Civil War.  If memory serves me correct, there are a few Empire Comics where the Stormtroopers use AT-TE's against a tribe of Amanaman aliens.

I do see though that the AT-TE/AT-RT may have been created prior to the designs of AT-AT's and AT-ST's - and could have in theory influenced the designs of future Imperial military machines, but think that these earlier designs could have easily still have been in use during the later Empire days, as they were built for different military strategies.

Besides, I believe it is the Juggernaut/Turbo Tank that was really the precursor to the AT-AT - which looked entirely different but served a similar purpose as huge armored transport that scared the hell out of the enemy.