Multimedia > The Prequel Trilogy

The biggest "missed moment" of the prequels:

<< < (3/7) > >>

Lestat:
I think the biggest missed opportunities of the prequels were the opportunities to explain things. Instead of showing us senate hearings why not show us a jedi going through the trials of knighthood? They are mentioned but never explained. Explain the prophecy of the chosen one. Give us a firm answer about Anakin's birth rather than some vague Christ metaphor that may or may not have involved Palpatine. Explain why it makes sense to leave the two potentially most powerful force sensitive children with caretakers who could neither train them or steer them clear of the dark side. I shouldn't have to check wookiepedia or read a novel to know these things. Most of them are (or should be) major plot points.

Ryan:

--- Quote from: Jesse James on May 21, 2011, 02:05 AM ---X-Wings in the EU always got the "they're new" kind of treatment, but I totally agree on Y-Wings...  YW's were always a CW era ship that found its way, stripped to the bones, to the Alliance.  While the cartoon tried to squeeze them into the CW, the films didn't, and I think Lucas **** the bed on that.

And the ARC-170 is anything but an X-WIng predecessor...  Z-95's though?  Again, another moment where Lucas could've given a fan wank with that ship, and to the EU, and to Ralph McQuarrie.  They too may be sneaking into the CW series, but it's not the same as showing them in the PT...

INstead, 100% new designs like Jedi Fighters and the V-Wing.  *shrugs*

--- End quote ---

Dusting off this thread just a bit...

I really agree with this as well. I'd really have like to see the ship designs from the CW era tie in A LOT closer with the OT. Don't get me wrong, for the most part they are all cool designs, I just don't find them particularly logical for the timeframe.

The Republic had been around for what 20000 years or so? That is a hell of a long time for a spacefaring culture to be around. At some point they had to have come to a technological plateau. I'd think that they'd likely keep the same designs for much longer than the 20 year gap between ROTS and Star Wars. Hell even between AOTC and ROTS ship designs change drastically. By today's standards we tend to keep fighter aircraft in service for 20-30 years at least. The F-16 was debuted in the late 70s and it is still in active service and production today. Considering how much technology has changed since the 1970s, that is really saying something about the longevity of our modern fighter aircraft. There is no way that in the Star Wars universe spacecraft would be phased out service faster than we phase out our fighters today. 

Darby:
I agree, and I think the technological plateau would have been something of a motivator for some of the varied interests in the Clone Wars in terms of using the war as a means to push innovation.  Some of it is backwards.  The Vulture Droid for instance - far more advanced than anything in the OT, but missing in those films - wouldn't the Rebels have been digging these things out of storage?

Phrubruh:
Well there was a bias against droids in the galaxy. R2 and 3po weren't let into the cantina. Maybe the bias came from various droid invasions. Smart droids were really looked down on.

JediJman:

--- Quote from: Darby on February  5, 2012, 03:12 PM ---I agree, and I think the technological plateau would have been something of a motivator for some of the varied interests in the Clone Wars in terms of using the war as a means to push innovation.  Some of it is backwards.  The Vulture Droid for instance - far more advanced than anything in the OT, but missing in those films - wouldn't the Rebels have been digging these things out of storage?

--- End quote ---

I got the impression that these things were crazy expensive and not all that smart without a control ship.  The rebellion had money, but I don't think they had that kind of money or any real manufacturing capabilities outside of the shipyards around Dac.

I agree on the ships.  Every time someone does a prequel (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.) they seem to want to spice up the tech to be even better than what clearly comes after it.  I don't get it.  You could have some awesome space battles with headhunters and Y-Wings instead of these brand new ships.  Likewise, I wish they had focused more on OTC aliens than all the new ones they created.  I'd much rather see more Rodians, Ithorians, Trandoshans, Dresellions, etc. in the background or even as main characters.  Imagine Maul as a Trandoshan.

I also like Lestat's idea of showing more background on big issues.  I'd much rather see Jedi trials or better understand how they find and train Jedi versus a 30 minute pod race or vast tour of the Gungan underwater city.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version