Multimedia > TV-9D9

Upcoming SW Live-Action TV Show Discussion!

<< < (25/30) > >>

darth broem 2:
If the series ever even gets made.  They can say "it's like this and like that" all they want but they have not even started casting or filmsin.  Yeah, they have "scripts" that will be changed a bazillion times until they finally start on this thing.  I don't hang on much of anything that Rick says. 

Phrubruh:
I find it funny they say each of the scripts is costing the same as a feature length movie. Why? Are they so ladden in CG that the entire budget is taken up by that? What we need is great stories not huge special effects. It is entirely possible to do a sci-fi show with a small budget if you have a story. Look at the Star Trek series or Firefly or Doctor Who or BSG. They were successful without huge movie like budgets why can't Star Wars do that? If they are going to use virtual sets, why not do it like Santuary did? They used virtual sets but didn't have a huge budget.

If Lucas's excuse for not doing this show right now is because is costs too much then he needs to come up with better scripts that rely more on story and less on CG. Maybe he needs to outsource ILM?

Qui-Gon Jim:
Part of this likely stems from the fact that until/unless they partner with a major studio, LFL is on the hook for all the costs.  While LFL is big, they are not big like Fox or Paramount or one of those other mega-conglomerates.

And we see what happens to quality SF when the costs get too high for even the big players (we miss you Firefly and Terminator:TSCC).

Phrubruh:
Too many special effects and not enough audience means early cancellation. I'm looking at you Terra Nova.

I agree. Without a major studio behind them, Star Wars on tv will never happen. Lucus burned too many bridges in the last 35 years to get someone other than Disney to do it.

Nicklab:
Star Wars has the benefit of a brand recognition that's tough to match.  I mean, we're STILL talking about it 35 years after the release of the first film.  The only other franchise that has had that kind of longevity is James Bond.

Rick McCallum really hasn't been saying anything crazy about what's holding up the show.  Simply put, it's money.  And advertising money in TV is down because of both the economy and the dillution of the audience by cable TV, Direct TV and services like NetFlix.  Disney might be the right fit if the show can get onto the ABC television network.  That might lead to big enough ad revenues that could cover production budgets of $5 million per episode.  But other networks could make just as much sense.  NBC Universal brings together the resources of a film studio, a broadcast network and multiple cable properties.  If they could set up a schedule where the episode premieres on NBC, and then it has repeat airings on a network like SyFy, they might be able to generate enough ad revenue to make this show happen.

And then there's the creative control issue.  McCallum has said that HBO would probably sign on for the show, but the degree of creative control and show ownership that HBO wants is a deal breaker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version