Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 106360 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2009, 09:50 AM »
An early review is up at one of IGN's sites, and it is pretty positive.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2009, 02:22 PM »
The special-effects and action from the trailers seems tons better than the past several Star Trek films.  It actually LOOKS entertaining instead of stale and dullish.  We'll see of course but that's one of my impressions just from the trailers themselves.  I know trailers are deceiving but it's looks decent.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2009, 11:11 AM »
I agree. But it could be all style and no substance, and given the writers, I'm not expecting the substance I would expect from Star Trek.  :'(
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2009, 03:28 PM »
That could be a plus.  No random remodulating to fix a situation or sitting around a conference table discussing their feelings on the current crisis.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2009, 11:40 AM »
Got my tix's for ST Saturday nite.  8)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 4, 2009, 06:03 PM »
A very positive early review over at Newsarama.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 8, 2009, 09:22 AM »
Ah, the Trek vs. Wars comparisons begin...in an interview with the new Scotty, Simon Pegg:

You're a Star Wars fan, but are now in Star Trek. Where do you fall on the irreconcilable divide between those two worlds?
Well, I was seven when Star Wars came out, and it had a seismic effect on me, the same as it did on many, many kids of that era. The generation before me, possibly, was the Star Trek generation. Star Trek, in the end, seems to have won the war, because it maintained its integrity, and now the effects are catching up as well. So you sort of get your Star Trek cake and eat it, too. I'm sure Star Wars fans around the world will want to kill me for saying that, and see me as a traitor, because I've always been a very outspoken fan of Star Wars, but I've never been publicly keen on the new ones.

We'll sort this out right now: Who wins in a race between the Millennium Falcon and the Enterprise?
Well, I think probably the Enterprise, because the Falcon can only make .5 past light speed. But the Enterprise can go like warp ten.

It can time travel by slingshotting around the sun.
It can outstrip the Falcon in a second. The Falcon would fall to bits.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 8, 2009, 12:59 PM »
I don't like the ST vs SW debate.  You can be a fan of both without having to compare the in-universe science/power/myth/etc. 

I will say, though, that the new ST film is ******* awesome.  Loved it.  I can't say enough good things about it at this point. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 8, 2009, 02:55 PM »
I've never quite understood the comparisons between the two either.  Despite being set in space, there really doesn't seem to be a whole lot in common between the two.  However, to the "general public", I think they get lumped together as the same type of thing.  I can remember a number of times, from high school to college to now, where friends of mine - knowing I'm a fan of Star Wars - will say Star Trek on occasion, and I'll correct them, to which they reply "aren't they pretty much the same thing?" :).

Anyways, just reading through some stuff about the new Trek, and saw another mention of Star Wars - mainly how it was sort of an inspiration for J.J. Abrams more than the original Trek stuff was (which I had heard before):

Following the pattern of the original show, the "Trek" movies often had long stretches of dialogue and discussion between action scenes. In fact, the first movie was derisively called "Star Trek: The Slow-Motion Picture" by some critics. Abrams says that as a kid he was more a fan of "Star Wars," and he credits the faster and more intense tempo of that series as the reason. So for his version, he has taken the space battles, fist fights, and even slapstick moments that have been part of "Trek" from the beginning, but speeds them up and packs them together to make his film a more thrilling ride.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 8, 2009, 07:02 PM »
I was deluged with calls and text messages last night from all my friends who saw the movie. They said - DON'T. The consensus was, they liked the movie, but it's not Star Trek. About what I expected. I couldn't see it this weekend anyway, so I'll wait and see it for free in two weeks.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 8, 2009, 11:05 PM »
I was deluged with calls and text messages last night from all my friends who saw the movie. They said - DON'T. The consensus was, they liked the movie, but it's not Star Trek. About what I expected. I couldn't see it this weekend anyway, so I'll wait and see it for free in two weeks.

The Onion had an article about Star Trek getting good reviews from everyone but hard core trekies.  Apparently die hard Trekfans are complaining that the movie is too fun & watchable.

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/trekkies_bash_new_star_trek_film?utm_source=a-section

;D
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #86 on: May 9, 2009, 03:27 AM »
I've never been a big fan of Star Trek.  I watched the originals when I was a kid, but, not trying to offend any trek fans here, there was never any character development.  The same could be said for TNG, DS9 and the Lost in Space rip-off.   ;)

That being said, I really enjoyed the new movie!  They did a really good job telling a good story.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #87 on: May 9, 2009, 03:56 AM »
I'd agree on a lack of character development in TOS...  It seemed to deal more squarely with "issues" a lot I felt, than devleoping deep characters. 

I disagree, however, on TNG and DS9...  TNG was ALL about character development mixed in with storylines that tried to relate to the times.  DS9 was practically ALL about character development I thought.  TNG though explored Data's struggle with becoming Human, Picard's distance with relationships, Picard/Crusher's sexual tension/relationship, Worf's being a Klingon in a predominantly human culture...  TNG was really quite deep, especially where Data and Picard were concerned.

That's a big reason First COntact was such an insanely cool film to me...  It largely dealt with a big part of Picard's character traits and past.  It's still my favorite ST film, and I'll be shocked if I feel different after this new one (even though I'm expecting much coolness).

BTW I find the ST Vs. SW debate simply retarded...  People can, and should, see the good in both... 

I'm not personally a big fan of TOS actually...  Just didn't dig it.  Doesn't mean I wont' love this movie though.  I like a LOT of the original ST films too.  There's some pretty decent movies there.  There's also some utter **** in there too though, like the original film which I feel is dismal, personally.  I think Star Trek improved with age, but ironically the newer movies didn't all do too well.  Nemesis wasn't attrocious, but really the only good film with the new cast was First Contact I think...  Generations wasn't even good.

In contrast though, I feel that TNG and DS9 were really excellent series that trumped TOS...  Voyager holds its own but barely.  Enterprise I find horrible to watch, but that's me.

Star Wars was really at its height with the original trilogy to most people I think, me included, but I liked AOTC, I liked the 2D CLone Wars micro series, and the 3D Clone Wars series/movie now are pretty great to me.  Likewise, I think ROTS was on par with the Original Trilogy, but ONLY ROTS...  I really feel TPM was an unnecessary film at this point, but basing a distaste for the whole prequal trilogy over one film (which has its charming parts too) is a lame way to judge.

AOTC is a 50/50 film...  Not perfect by any stretch, but an improvement.  I feel ROTS really was excellent though.

In my mind though, I'm a fan of both...  I doubt I'm ever as "involved" a Trek fan as I am a SW fan, but hey...  I'm buying the new toys now.  If this new take on Trek continues, I'm open to what they can roll out at least.  Star Wars will always be my favorite, but I don't miss TNG reruns if I can avoid it.  I'm just a fan of both.

I'm a big LOTR fan too...  COmpleting the trifecta of dorkdom.  Or the geek hat trick?
« Last Edit: May 9, 2009, 04:05 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #88 on: May 9, 2009, 07:26 PM »
My wife and I got back from this this afternoon and ho-ly crap is it good.  Granted I'm not a devotee to all things Trek but if I could have walked out of TPM, AOTC and even ROTS with the satisfaction I got from this prequel I think my head would have exploded.

The acting is fantastic and the action is frenetic and the special EFX again beat the prequel films hands down. When you see it you'll know what I mean.

Chris Pine felt more and more "Shatner like" as the movie progressed and Zachary Quinto really does Spock justice. Both actors bring a lot to the characters, making them their own as do the other cast members and Eric Bana's portral of Nero is what Ricardo Montalban did for Khan. He's just that good.

I could have done with out some of the present day music on the soundtrack, but aside from that, the movie was flawless.

How does it rate against the previous Treks? This for me is easily on par with Khan/Search for Spock and First Contact.

I'll be seeing this a couple more times in theaters I think as I'd like to catch the next viewing on a digital presentation.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #89 on: May 9, 2009, 09:19 PM »
I didn't really like the movie as a Star Trek picture, too "new" feeling and I think perhaps catered too much to your average moron citizen- perhaps too commercialized.

Parts of nostalgia were present which was very nice, the fights were cool, but I thought the plot was horrible. The actors did well with what they were given, I will say that.

When I stopped caring or thinking about the plot and enjoyed the movie for nothing more than fights and odes to prior days I liked it a bit more. Don’t go expecting too much and you should be fine.