Community > JD Sports Forum!

2012 Summer Olympics

<< < (2/4) > >>

Spirit of MAC:

--- Quote from: Paul on July 29, 2012, 12:09 AM ---If it involves "judges", I don't care...
--- End quote ---

Well said.  I used to love watching a lot of those judged Olympic sports over the years, but the BS that goes on within and "behind-the-scenes" of each one of them (including the Winter games) has just become too aggravating to invest my time and fandom in anymore.  I usually go into each new Olympics telling myself to take it little easier on the Medal Tracker watching, but somehow I always find myself getting dragged back in.  Then I get thoroughly annoyed with the U.S. team if we're not leading in the gold and total medal counts, as if it's some god-given right for us to do so, which it is obviously not.  It seems the rest of the world is really catching up and/or surpassing the U.S. in many of these sports now (like swimming today).  Maybe they all work harder than we do now, while our athletes (and fans, like me) are getting too arrogant/spoiled/coddled/distracted/entitled/etc.  Or maybe I've just lost the proper understanding of the Olympic Spirit in my old age!

I'm still wondering if McCartney really choked up from emotion at the beginning of Hey Jude last night in the opening ceremonies as the media's suggesting, or if he just temporarily couldn't kick his vocals into high gear at his age.  Hopefully it was just a case of the former, though watching it, it seemed sadly more like the latter.  At least he finished relatively strong.  Pretty good ceremonies, and the James Bond/Queen bit was amusing, but it was definitely lacking the WOW factor of Beijing's performance (as expected).  Hopefully the Brit's weather cooperates over the next couple of weeks though, or we could be in for some less than stellar competitions.

JediJman:
Must be disappointing for GB to walk away with zero medals thus far, especially as the host.  We watched a little swimming and gymnastics yesterday. There really isn't a BAD performer in any of these - it is amazing what some of these people can do.

Paul:

--- Quote from: SpIrIt Of MaCe on July 29, 2012, 03:24 AM ---
--- Quote from: Paul on July 29, 2012, 12:09 AM ---If it involves "judges", I don't care...
--- End quote ---

"behind-the-scenes" of each one of them (including the Winter games) has just become too aggravating to invest my time and fandom in anymore. 
--- End quote ---

You will have to come back in 2 years (and of  course enjoy the JD.com community until then) to hear my Winter Games rant... it gets worse.....

I'm so used to JediJman posting in the NFL thread, I read GB as "Green Bay".... and thought he was just poking the packer fans with a stick.

Men's Handball right now.  It appears there is are 3 rec-league handball courts played on local indoor soccer fields within 15 miles of the house.

P-Siddy:
I thought Sir Paul was off for most of "Hey Jude."  As they showed the crowd (usually the Americans), they didn't seem too enthralled to hear a legend.  I'm sure their parents would have been more ecstatic than they.  Plus, they didn't even seem to know the words.  I guess they needed the Spice Girls in order for it to be classic for them.

Scott:
I read a few weeks ago about how Twitter is showing the world how the younger generation has no idea who Paul McCartney or the Beatles are.  Same goes for other old acts like The BeeGees etc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version