Author Topic: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)  (Read 363027 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)
« Reply #660 on: November 22, 2010, 01:57 AM »
No surprise here E...  They sell out EVERY year, down to pretty much nada on the shelves.  Around me the buildings have sold out, the Chinese tank has sold out, the towers have gone from (literally) 60 to about 10 of them, the Chinese AFV and Dune buggies are down to their last 1 or 2 of each, the single figure deluxe sets (horse, camel, etc.) are sold out here, the figure 3-packks have gone from (again, literally) 50 or so to 3 pegs worth and they're all mostly SWAT now.  No more Hedgehog sets for me. :(  I'm depressed over that because I intended to buy more of that set.

There are about 10 or 15 Humvees, about the same ammount of littlebird choppers, and about 3 of the new Chinese helicopter.

My store went from over half an aisle, plus a full endcap of stuff, to not much left at all really.  I'm getting a couple extra towers once I see how my Christmas spending decimated me this weekend, haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 22, 2010, 09:21 AM »
Wow, that's a big sell through.  The reason I was surprised is because of the local market.  Ithaca is a big liberal/hippie/anti-war/politically correct haven for nut jobs and anything related to the military or war usually doesn't do well here. 

The watch towers actually haven't sold that well here, but the vehicles all have and, like I said, the $3.50 boxed sets.  The carded figures have also moved but I wasn't really interested in them.  I'm still debating a couple of those towers, but don't know if I'll end up with any or not.

Still, I'm happy to have picked up the camel and horse sets.  If I had infinite space and money I'd probably wipe out a good portion of my store's stock.  The jets, Humvees and helicopters, not to mention the tanks, are all excellent pieces.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #662 on: November 22, 2010, 09:31 PM »
I think some of it is kind of like the history of GI Joe...  War toys have times when they're up, and when they're down.  I think right now, they're up.  The secondary market for 1:18 military is pretty insane, to the point I've pondered selling all my planes.  I mean, my Spitfire alone would pay quite a few bills in one month.  I have the Avenger Bomber, P38, Stuka, BBI's Donald Duck Mustang, P-47, Spitfire, and the original ME-109...  plus the original BBI BLackhawk and Littlebird.

That's a lot of air power, and it's almost all worth more than what I paid for it, and some of it's worth 5 times its original price.  It's kind of insane.

Unfortunately WW2's taken a backseat to modern in the eyes of mass retail.  It's depressing because, Modern just isn't my thing really.  WW2's armor was vastly more interesting and varied.  MOdern armor's got variety, but it's limited in recognizability to most.  WW2 though, almost everyone "knows" it when they see it.  Fortunately there's 1:16 RC stuff which is just disturbing with the level of variety, plus it's RC...  I mean, the tanks even smoke.  It's too cool.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #663 on: December 6, 2010, 08:36 PM »
If you had a rewards card to Big Lots, they've got a 20% off $10 or more on toys coupon floating around the net.  Not bad to pick up PTE items since the towers and whatnot are above $10 and it's not hard to pick up $10 worth of PTE you can enjoy.  My store has tons of the SWAT Deluxe figures right now, 3-packs, towers still lingering, and a few armored Chinese FAV's.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #664 on: December 15, 2010, 09:15 PM »
BIG PTE sets are on BIG discount at JC Penney's this week...  Sets that were $60 are now $15, and good sets too like the bridge.  I picked one of it up but if it weren't Christmas time and other stuff needing bought/done financially, I'd probably have bought 3 of that set alone.

Good stuff for the price...  Hell, the Chinese AFV is $15 with a bunch of other stuff in the set, and that's $5 cheaper than even the AFV by itself with a couple figures at Big Lots.  Can't beat that with a stick folks.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #665 on: February 10, 2011, 02:33 AM »
Early word is that Toy Fair maybe is going to unveil some new 1:18 this year...  Heard it before though, so believe it when I see it.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 10, 2011, 04:22 PM »
From what companies?  Although they won't be at TF, I'm hoping the S.K. Omega line debuting online sometime soon.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #667 on: February 11, 2011, 05:35 AM »
That's the catch, nobody's saying who beforehand, which makes me somewhat skeptical.

All-Go is the restructured 21st Cent. Toys...  I talked to them prior to last year's Toy Fair and they said they HOPED to attend in 2011.  A year's a long time though.

Then there's BBI...  They attend but what they show tends to be older molds, and there's a whole story there...  Kind of nutty stuff.  And they have something going on with this other company, or they are this other company, and having 21st's older molds like the Panther and things.  They've put some 21st stuff out as their new label, but also have questionable quality.

There's Forces of Valor, their parent company attends, but they've cut WW2 back and more or less resold the same modern stuff at Target last year.  WW2 was online only and I don't think it did great.

Our friends with Black Sheep Toys introduced the "Our War" line of modern US infantry to us last year, and supposedly there's World War 2 on tap from them, but I'm not thinking their company will be attending Toy Fair.

You never know who's going to see that, if managed properly, the 1/18 military market is ripe for people to jump into it.  Just about every piece I own in my collection I can sell for a significant profit.  I have some things that had quadrupled or more in value...  It's gotten to the point it's hard to hold onto some of it, honestly.  Should be interesting if something turns up, but I have my doubts is all.  The hobby's full of people who seem to like to tease with prototype images and rarely deliver.

At this stage, guys doing garage kits out of resin are vastly more reliable and the quality's outstanding.  I got an awesome MG tri-pod from a guy.  A tiny little item like that is great because nobody did one, and yet here's a guy doing them in resin.  Then the resin sidecar for the Indiana Jones bikes...  Outstanding stuff!

The one guy did an entire German armored car kit...  The crummy thing is the cost.  Resin work costs an arm and a leg.  One guy did a Nebelwerfer artillery piece and it just cost too much to afford for me, but it's really outstanding in every way.  I just couldn't justify it...  I had to just dream of owning one because that's a bad ass piece of German equipment.

Another cool one was the Whirbelwind kit you attached to a Panzer (if you had one extra lying about).  It's too cool.  A quad machine gun in this goofy turret that got slapped onto a tank's hull as a mobile AA gun.  Really cool looking, kind of odd and different. 

Gotta give a tip of the hat to the guys doing these resin kits because I work in resins and it can be a bitch to do sometimes.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 11, 2011, 09:19 AM »
The Wirbelwind does make for a cool tank.  When I was a kid I did a lot of models and I built a small one of these.  I think I probably still have it somewhere.  I just remember thinking it was cool looking and not really knowing much about it.

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, comes out of TF.  As I said, I'm actually kind of excited to see if Molten Monkey gets thier website up and has some protos of their S.K. Omega line.  All they've shown so far is some concept art.

I still see the Forces of Valor stuff at Target but it doesn't really seem like it ever moves. But, GI Joe is a slow seller here also and I think I've said before that military stuff really isn't popular with the local crowd of consumers. 

But, they did clear out all the PTE stuff from Big Lots at Christmas time.  They're down to like two camel sets and one or two of the larger APC vehicles.  The training towers, building, and smaller vehicles were cleared right to the bare shelf.

E...

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 12, 2011, 07:10 PM »
True Heroes or whatever the cheapo 1:18 line is at Toys R Us has a cool Apache that I've never seen before.  It's molded in black and the cockpit seats two.  I picked it up to doctor into a 25th style GI Joe Dragonfly.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 13, 2011, 01:54 AM »
I think there was just a thread on Hiss Tank about that.  They're the same company that makes that F-22 aren't they?  And they had a coll A-10 a couple years ago.  The vehicles from that company always look decent, but I've never bought any.  Probably should have picked up a couple things here and there but never bothered to.

E...

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 13, 2011, 02:23 PM »
Yes, that's the company.  I've thought of getting the F-22 to convert into a Skystriker, but now Hasbro's saved me the trouble.

I have the Blackhawk from the line, it's decent.  I hate myself for passing on the A10, though.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #672 on: February 14, 2011, 05:52 AM »
Those are actually Power Team Elite items...  Keep your eyes peeled as they turn up at Big Lots, Ryan.  The A-10 wasn't around this year but was around last year.  It's the only remotely close to 1:18 Warthog around. 

Not sure on an Apache though...  Got pics you could post in here?  PTE made a Blackhawk, LIttlebird, a Chinese one from this last year, the Raptor/F22, A-10...  That's it for aircraft that I was aware of.  This could be a new mold or from another company/line.

Forces of Valor's stuff does ok I guess.  OK enough that they phased out WW2.  They're big problem is a lack of diversity.  They had new stuff like SWAT and Firemen lined up to add into the modern line with their USMC and Army figures, and their Spec. Ops/Navy SEALS they did in the last series...  Then not a peep from them.  No commitment to any new sculpts.  Target will suddenly restock, and they slowly tend to sell through, sometimes have a sale/clearance, then restock again...  It's a very weird deal.  And the company's not overly talkative. 

They're doing some licensed stuff right now (Crysys 2 stuff, and Assassin's Creed Figures soon).  I think their production capacity is limited.

Their WW2 figures were pretty decent.  Americans were so-so, but the Germans were cool as ****, and to me they seemed to sell great.  Then poof, they went to online only and no new sculpts as well.  They even made a really nice Tiger-I with Zimmerit coating, and a later-production Sherman compared to the 21st Cent. Toys version.

Anyway, everything went to online that's WW2, and nothing new, and so its sales have to have slowed...  My targets couldn't keep Germans in stock and certain US sold out probably just for the gear and customizing (Paul always hated their pants.  I can't blame him as they weren't accurate but they had potential and rockin' WW2 gear).

At least FOV still puts stuff out...  21st Century is "restructured" and doing nothing but sitting with its thumb up its ass making claims as to what they're going to do, someday.  BBI/Merit/whoever the hell it is that I guess is involved in a dispute with 21st that they lifted some of their molds from the factory, have put out some recast 21st Cent. stuff, but nothing real exciting and all online...

Our War figures are the only thing current.  They're nice basic modern infantry, but non-removable headgear.

And so far out of Toy Fair not ONE thing has happened.

Bad Cat Aviation (a retailer) was making bold predictions that they somehow knew someone was going to come out of TOy Fair with new 1:18 scale news...  Nothing.  There's always rumors that don't pan out, the collectors get annoyed (like I said, 21st Toys stuff is selling for anywhere from its full retail price to many hundreds beyond its original price on Ebay, so there's a market there with money) because someone lied to them that something was gonna happen... blah blah blah.

To me, I am focused on 1:16 RC tanks to satiate my desire.  The figures match the tanks perfectly and the support stuff goes great with it.  I'm amazed more GI Joe guys haven't latched onto these considering there's some good sized modern tanks (not 1:16 but inexpensive customizable big-assed RC tanks since modern tanks are pretty huge compared to WW2 ones).  I'll collect these though, and if 1:18 has any life I'll get it.  To me, too many companies tried to make lines live on these huge uber detailed models.  They don't grasp that smaller things that sell in greater quantities and are less initial costs are what you need (and to keep fresh) to keep the lines going.  Instead of doing 5 planes a year, do 1, but put out 3 waves of figures in a year and keep them fresh with repaints and head variants and such.  Put out a couple tanks, but not a bunch.  Just maybe one larger armor piece and a smaller one.  Look into smaller vehicles like motorcycles and Jeep-sized vehicles or artillery.

Don't paint yourself into a financial corner by sinking tons of your money into multiple plane molds that you're going to rely on repaints to make up that cost.  Instead do your one, then another one next year, and again next year, then maybe repaint one and make another new one, and so on.

Sorry for the digression.  I just get frustrated since I actually really enjoyed collecting these lines, the figures and armor/ground gear anyway, and I really aim a lot of blame at the planes for why the lines lagged.  They're just too costly to do as many as they did.  And Forces of Valor didn't do planes and here they are still making figures and armor.  Hmmm...  Correlation? 

My collection room/office ceiling is FILLED with planes, and I wasn't vaguely a hardcore aircraft collector.  I bought some I liked and if I saw one on a great clearance I'd buy it (My Avenger was only $35, never even put out at full price.  Went right from the stock room to clearance, originally $70, and it's MASSIVE.  It puts every Star Wars vehicle to shame, in every capacity...  Even the AT-TE, AT-AT, Big Falcon...  They really just look like toys by comparison to this behemoth that's riddled with model-like details and features).  I somehow have more plane diversity though than tank diversity.  They're the most expensive items but more were made.  It's kind of obvious to me what at least one major issue was.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 14, 2011, 07:44 AM »
My favorite part of the guys over at Warbirds is that Sunday before Toy Fair proper opened they were whining that nobody was covering anything but Hasbro.

Begin rant...

Um dear Geniuses, Toy Fair doesn't start till Sunday,Hasbro is the only show in town Saturday,so go back to your collections of incorrectly adorned WWII Germans, your WWII US GI's with wrongly colored Vietnam era pants and your P51 with the wrong number of exposed rivets.  Oh and mix in some research on topics besides which paint 'huffs' the best, like maybe some actual pictures taken during the war not just an artist's rendition.  

Fin...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:07 PM by Paul »

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 14, 2011, 06:08 PM »
Perhaps the Mortal Kombat figures from Jazzwares were the new 3 3/4 in figures that were being "rumored"?