Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 350412 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #225 on: June 30, 2005, 01:07 PM »
As far as the sappy ending, I'm glad the Speilberg sticks to his guns. It seems that people these days want down endings, but he doesn't care, and does it his way.

*****SPOILER*****

I think people want realistic endings, one fitting of the film just viewed. We had just watched 90 minuties of the human race being exteminated starting with big cities like Boston. Everyone was on a run for their lives, and here are four people who looked like they just stayed at home and watched the caos from the windows. Definately a questionable artistic decision, but not a questionable studio decision. I'm not arguing that the familiy should have died, I just think they could have at least showed that they had gone through hell too. I expect better from Spielberg.

*****End Spoiler*****

Overall I liked it though, very intense for me.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 30, 2005, 01:52 PM »
WOTW was underwhelming to me. The Tri-pods did nothing for me, Dakota Fanning was relegated to being a whiny kid which is uncharacteristic, it had some moments of good humor under pressure to break the tension, and some nice cinematography in the sweeps, but overall, Iwas really let down.

The Byron Haskins version runs circles around this one.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 2, 2005, 04:12 PM »
I finally saw Batman, I was very impressed. I thought it was very tight and very well done. I have no complaints.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 2, 2005, 05:19 PM »
Against my usual policy, I'm going to repost my post from another message board on the subject here:

It was a tense movie, but it was a VERY tense movie because it put you back into a similar place to where you were on September 11th; under attack, no idea what's going on, no idea when it will stop, learning about the serious reality of your situation as you go along, our cities being destroyed etc... A lot of the images of people doing anything they can to survive were similar to what we saw on that day, like people jumping off of the pier to drown in the water because they had no choice with the aliens behind them was remniscent of the people who were jumping out of the trade center when it was on fire behind them.

Obviously it is a totally difference scenario than 911, but the story has enough basic parallels that on some subconscious level it freaks you out by reminding you of how you felt on that day. I'm pretty sure that (at least for me) people wouldn't be as freaked out if that movie had come out 5 years ago.

Also, did anyone catch what I'm convinced was a Christian Boltansky reference when the clothes were all falling from the sky?

I enjoyed it a whole lot, the plot holes were minor and inconsequential as far as I'm concerned. 

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 3, 2005, 01:53 AM »
I really hope the Thing suit doesn't look this bad in the rest of the movie.

in a still he looks ok, but when he moves around he doesn't lok like a rock man.
btw that scene was pretty funny.

I have mixed thoughtfor this movie, I want it to be good but don't think it will be.. i hope I enjoy it nonetheless

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #231 on: July 3, 2005, 03:36 AM »
I'm of the same mind. As long as I enjoy it, it's good.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 3, 2005, 07:47 PM »
I just watched Enki Bilal’s “Immortel”; a film based on his “Gods in Chaos” graphic novel and it was wicked. This is kinda one of those dream movies for me, as I admired the original source when it debuted in the 80’s and always thought Bilal’s surreal images would make a great film. Bilal’s designs are as original now as they were 20 years ago and his story is still fresh as well, be forewarned that the effects are slightly better than some video games as this is a meager-budget effort… but the attention to detail and faithful adaptation really set it above the rest in the cyberpunk film genre. Recommended to those who dig Blade Runner and 1980’s Heavy Metal comics.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 3, 2005, 08:42 PM »
Glad to hear that you thought Immortel was good.  I'd seen a trailer a year ago and just picked it up when it came out the other week.  I'd planned on watching in sometime this week.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 5, 2005, 01:32 PM »
WOTW was underwhelming to me. The Tri-pods did nothing for me, Dakota Fanning was relegated to being a whiny kid which is uncharacteristic, it had some moments of good humor under pressure to break the tension, and some nice cinematography in the sweeps, but overall, Iwas really let down.

The Byron Haskins version runs circles around this one.

I would agree (can't comment on the last sentence though).

I was underwelmed - really not much happened throughout the movie.  Maybe I would've enjoyed it more if I had seen the original first.

Some of it may be related to Tom's publicity stunts - it's hard to watch the movie because I was constantly thinking of his views on scientology, his obsession with Katie, etc. etc.

It's pretty bad when you can't even watch a movie to escape reality because of the actor's behavior outside of the movie realm.

Nobody cares that you're in love and that scientology rocks - leave it behind closed doors.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 5, 2005, 03:50 PM »
It seems like WOTW reviews are kind of all over the place.  Most of the "official reviewer" reviews have seemed generally positive, although Roger Ebert didn't seem to like it much.  From casual viewers, it sounds like many liked it overall, although they weren't big fans of the ending.  Not sure if I'll catch this one in the theatre or not, but will definitely rent it.  Hope to go see ROTS again this weekend, and I definitely want to see Fantastic Four as well.  It seems like the general opinion is down a bit on F4, but I'm really looking forward to it.  Just to see the movie make it to the big screen is exciting to me.  Like some of you mentioned, I'm just looking to be entertained...it doesn't have to be Shakespeare :).  Hopefully it turns out pretty good and does well so we can see at least one more in the future.  I guess I'm just a sucker for a comic movie most of the time though.  With Spidey, X-Men, F4, Batman...and coming up Superman...most of my childhood favorites are being brought to life on the big screen.  Makes me feel like a big kid :P.

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 5, 2005, 04:05 PM »
It seems like WOTW reviews are kind of all over the place.
A friend of mine had this to say, "it's a good movie... if you're an old housewife"

It seems like the general opinion is down a bit on F4
No surprise there, trailer looks like solid matter discharged from an animal's alimentary canal.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 9, 2005, 03:21 AM »
I just saw WOTW tonight and it was better than I expected.  :o   8)  I'll be seeing it again.  :P

When they come out with the model kit of the Tripod ship, I'll be all over it and it will look nice next to my 1953 version.  ;D

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 9, 2005, 03:25 AM »
Any thought on Fantastic Four? I've been hearing mixed reviews so far. Some people on other forums I visit have enjoyed it, others have trashed it. Nobody thinks it's better than Batman though.

I'm still looking for time to go see both of them (B:B and F4).
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 9, 2005, 08:29 PM »
Fantastic 4 was...dare I say Fan-I'll stop.

But, it was enjoyable, and I loved it. Just like the comics.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...