Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 349676 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1695 on: December 19, 2016, 11:01 AM »
Blade Runner 2049 Teaser

#want

Please God, let this be my chance to get a 3.75" Rick Deckard action figure.  Police Spinner would be a bonus. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: March 21, 2017, 11:44 AM »
Went to Japan for work and had a chance to catch up on "comic book movies" while sitting on the plane.  I'm not a comic book guy, so I don't have built in biases based on a childhood love for certain characters and story lines.

Saw:
  • Dr. Strange - very solid
  • Captain America Civil War - meh.  Glad I waited to watch it while trapped on a plane for 12 hours.  Didn't like how the used the bad guys.
  • Suicide Squad - unwatchable.  I made it about 30 minutes in and then decided taking a short nap would be far more entertaining.

I think my threshold for good movies lowers while sitting on a plane (what else are you going to do?).  I'm guessing if I had rented/streamed these movies I would have rated them lower.

Saw a bunch of others as well.  Pete's Dragon was decent as was The Accountant (surprisingly).  Watched a documentary movie on The Beatles by Ron Howard that was enjoyable.  The Secret Life of Pets was pretty bad.  There are probably a few more I watched too but am blanking on.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #1697 on: May 8, 2017, 02:34 PM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: May 20, 2017, 07:40 PM »
Saw Alien Covenant last night...was probably one of only 10 people worldwide who loved Prometheus, so I had high hopes. Wasn't bad but didn't really wow me. Fassbender was excellent. I liked the "protomorphs" too, kind of reminded me of the Demogorgon. 

Looking forward to the next one to close out all the loose ends. Hopefully.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: May 20, 2017, 10:17 PM »
Haven't seen Covenant yet, but I'm one of the ten people who thought Prometheus was great.  It had a few warts, but overall I loved it.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: May 21, 2017, 08:43 AM »
I think Prometheus lost credibility when one character was running from the rolling ship in a straight line when she could have easily avoided being crushed by turning left or right.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1701 on: May 21, 2017, 01:30 PM »
The problems with Prometheus can be summed up in two words: Damon Lindelof.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: May 24, 2017, 09:41 AM »
Saw Covenant last night. I was expecting the worst movie ever based on reviews, but it wasn't THAT bad. A lot of the fight scenes, plus the shower scene, felt really out of place for the Alien franchise.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: May 24, 2017, 01:17 PM »
Are the reviews bad?  EW actually talked it up quite a bid and I've heard good things from the few people I know who have seen it.  I heard it's much more closely mapped to "Aliens" than any of the other installments, which suits me just fine. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1704 on: May 24, 2017, 03:06 PM »
It has almost nothing to do structurally with Aliens, and creates a massive plot hole (which I won't spoil) having to do with that movie that sort of sinks the whole thing. It very nearly parrots the first Alien movie. It's decent, and often visually dynamic, but is very tired. I personally don't care at all about the xenomorph's origins. Clearly they think there's too much money to be left on the table by not exploring these things, but evidently not. I think everyone would like to see some return to form with Ripley and the proposed do over for Alien 3 that was floating around for a bit.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: May 26, 2017, 03:12 PM »
I felt Covenant  was overall bad..not helping was  that the trailers and prologues revealed too much of an already predictable storyline (especially if you've read anything about unused concepts from previous movies). The characters were stupid, like b-horror movie level.  Like you wouldn't trust these people to go to the grocery store, let alone in space. I mean, for the crap AvP movies got, most of Covenant  is about the same level of b-movie . I heard Scott was aiming for a b-movie feel.  But wasn't this franchise once held in some esteem (I guess that was 30 years ago at this point).

Can't even blame Lindelof for this one. Some blame fans for wanting the more traditional alien in movie after Prometheus.  My problems with Prometheus had nothing to do with not seeing the traditional creature.  Covenant made Prometheus look better because at least it tried to do something...even if I didn't care for what it did.

The effects were good...except maybe one part that reminded me of the SPACEBALLS diner scene...maybe that was intentional. Fassbender's performances were good, though noticeably older looking for an android that doesn't age.

I'm not sure what can be done to make the franchise interesting or engaging again. It's like the Terminator franchise.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: October 4, 2017, 07:50 PM »
I am super pumped that Blade Runner 2049 is getting such good early reviews!
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1707 on: October 4, 2017, 08:43 PM »
You know, when they first announced this I was like WHY but it looks great. Reviews are good. Fingers crossed.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: October 4, 2017, 09:14 PM »
I haven't seen a movie at the cinema since Dunkirk, so I'm down for it.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1709 on: October 9, 2017, 08:09 PM »
Saw Blade Runner 2049 in IMAX Saturday night.

Amazing film.  If you have a chance to see it in IMAX or RPX or any type of large format theater...you won't be disappointed!
This is the way.

I have spoken.