Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 587335 times)

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
Re: Rebelscum Spam Mail? WTF???
« Reply #1590 on: April 12, 2005, 01:53 AM »
there's a slogan for ya.  ;D
Got Clones?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1591 on: April 12, 2005, 01:57 AM »
Camera phone?

Huh? ???

Kevin

Take a pic of any girl stalking you through the toy aisles, ya' doof!  ::)   :P

Nice idea on the can of Spam though, Kev.  8)

And Justin, I think it's finally starting to sink in to all of us here...  Philip honestly doesn't care.  At all.  Period.  :-\

What's very strange to me though, is that Philip does appear to care that JediDefender is some kind of threat to Rebelscum since many of his longtime members have switched over to JD, to the point where he's summarily banned all of our staff members here from his boards.  But then he turns right around and says he doesn't care about any of the many top members of theirs that have moved over here.  It doesn't really add up, and his flip-flopping on this issue is quite confusing to me, to be honest.  He's upset that his members are coming over here, but at the same time, he's said he could care less that they're leaving RS.  Go figure...  ???

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: April 12, 2005, 02:00 AM »
HE FLIP FLOPS ON ISSUES MORE THAN JOHN KERRY! (ZING!) :-*

Anyway, now I get what your saying Matt. You have to be a bit clearer with me at 2 am. Busy day and I'm tired.

You need to get on AIM more often man.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1593 on: April 12, 2005, 02:04 AM »
In the end, Rebelscum is like Wal Mart. It has a lot of everything, and you take the good mixed with the bad.  JD is more like a corner drug store where everyone knows your name and they make an awesome milk shake.  ;D

Not a bad analogy Josh.  Not sure if it's as good as the one that Burn (Apok) gave though, a while back, which was:

GH = A mellow evening at a sophisticated Martini Lounge

JD = A wild night out with your buddies on a Friday night at the happening bar in town

RS = They middle school playground at recess

Or something along those lines.  Can't recall now.  Can't recall if he said that here, or at GH either.  Anyone have the link?  Good stuff from Burn though...  8)

You need to get on AIM more often man.

More often?  How 'bout never.  I haven't been on AIM in a good year or two now.  Doesn't work too well on my wife's laptop at home, and we all know where my current computer situation stands these days...   :-[
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 02:06 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: April 12, 2005, 02:08 AM »
Didn't know you had a bum PC.

How about hitting the JDChat room?

(Sorry to sidetrack this thread about spam)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: April 12, 2005, 02:09 AM »
HE FLIP FLOPS ON ISSUES MORE THAN JOHN KERRY! (ZING!) :-*

Who's John Kerry? ??? ::) :P

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1596 on: April 12, 2005, 02:13 AM »
I'd be careful with those Kerry comments guys.  Lots of his supporters roam these parts, from what I've seen...  ;)

Didn't know you had a bum PC.

How about hitting the JDChat room?

The PC is kickass.  Just haven't hooked it up for the past year is all...  ::)

Chatroom doesn't work on the laptop either.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1597 on: April 12, 2005, 02:30 AM »
I'd be careful with those Kerry comments guys.  Lots of his supporters roam these parts, from what I've seen...  ;)

For all the good it did us.  >:( ;)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Ian_C

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Bothan Spy
« Reply #1598 on: April 12, 2005, 03:23 AM »
BUT, consider the members they're in the process of losing there right now...  Guys like Darth Anton, Ian_C,  Matt_Fury, Sith Lord Chaos, ruiner, Pete_Fett, etc.  In addition to the other top notch guys they've stuck the final nail into the coffin of lately, like Jesse James, Kneel Before Zod, CHEWIE, etc...

When you look at those names listed there, it's a veritable "Who's Who" of most of the better members that were still left over there, so that's got to hurt RS's "quality" somewhat, no matter how you slice it.  If I could've hand picked some of the mature stragglers still left over there, it would've been those guys.  

Wow, and here I was thinking that I was suffering from anonymity over there. 

I've made a decision about RS.  Despite a few posts there tonight, I'm gonna drop them.  I'll stick around their vintage section, simply because for the most part it's like a different world there.  I'll also keep checking their classifeds section, although that's not really participating as a forum member.  The rest of it, though, can stick it. 

Ian_C, aka Barada, at RS.

12-23-01 to 4-12-05

R.I.P.

May the jedilerious' and matkanadam's rule over there indefinitely.  Wise and them deserve each other.

Ian
Moderator - www.thebothanspy.com
Former Admin - www.snowtroopers.ca

Offline Herbert_Ackermans

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: April 12, 2005, 04:17 AM »
There is something about (fan)-sites with forums that, once they start to grow, they in time reach a point where they start to crumble and buckle under their own weight.

Either that weight is actual bandwidth and traffic, or that it is that the site becomes something of an establishment, both seem to have negative effects on the creator/owner of the site.

I've sait it over at RS and I keep quoting Uncle Ben:
"With great power comes great responsibility"

In effect, being a forum-moderator is almost Godlike, as a mod has supreme power over even what people are allowed to say, and can "kill" (ban)  a member in that community.

The sheer fact PW is so oblivious to what he is doing, and the impression we have here now that he prefers morons over intelligence, fits this category.

Many times, people in command of such forums/sites, prefer the easy, numb, following herd of sheep over the few that actually have and voice their opinions.

A site is not your own little world where you can rule your own rules and ignore common decency and real world laws, morals and values.

As others have said, RS isn't going to sink due to this, as there's oodles of morons signing up daily.

But, like the Titanic, RS seems to be on course for disaster, and the cause is lack of respect and overconfidence on one's own.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1600 on: April 12, 2005, 05:21 AM »
Wow, and here I was thinking that I was suffering from anonymity over there.

You were, Ian.  But not over here though, where we had noticed you were one of the more upstanding members at RS quite a while back.  But like I've already said, folks over there don't care who the hell the other guys are that they're chatting with in there.  That's why that site sucks, if you're looking for any type of personal bonding, or recognition for being a decent and respectful member.  Ya' just ain't gonna get those things from RS.  You should've come over here to JD where you'd be properly appreciated long ago!

But I think you'll find things quite a bit different 'round these parts here now that you've arrived.  Even moreso since we've got some pretty kickass Canucks roaming these parts, eh.  ;)

In effect, being a forum-moderator is almost Godlike, as a mod has supreme power over even what people are allowed to say, and can "kill" (ban)  a member in that community.

Well, at some places, yeah.  Not over here though.  Our mods pretty much just blend in as average members around here.  Hell, to be honest, we rarely even have a need for moderators around here, especially since we showed Jimmy_/Jimbo the door long ago...  8)  We already banned Matkatnadam too, when he showed up briefly as "fahqmac".  Clever kid, he is...  ::)

Other than that, we'll occasionally move, or MERGE a thread (a great feature here that RS is desperately lacking), but that's about it.  When you're dealilng with mature adults, they pretty much just moderate themselves.  All too easy, really...

As for RS...  The Titanic, indeed.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 05:25 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1601 on: April 12, 2005, 07:34 AM »
I've been reading through things, and this is just a side comment I want to make because we are seeing an influx of new membership.  First I'll say we're happy to see all the new faces, we're happy you're here, and we're hoping for bigger and better conversation.

With that said, make no mistake that "quantity" increasing over at Jedi Defender isn't going to require a decline in quality either.  We have our rules established here, and we're (dare I say) even more strict than Rebelscum...  at least in some instances anyway.

A topic discussing an issue like this goes smoothly, but we've had our share of "trolls" too, and that's something Rebelscum rarely ever touches but which Jedi Defender will act swiftly to handle.  You can ask the people that are on our "banned" list how swiftly we act to behavior we deem inappropriate...  Condescending attitudes, name-calling, and  the like has earned more than one person a swift kick in the ass out our front door, not a doubt about that.

I know I came to Jedi Defender because my friends had come here, but also because i wanted to ESCAPE the post-padding, "kiddies", arrogant, rude, and condescending people who were allowed to basically walk on other members over at Scum, or run the show over there...  So needless to say, we run a tight ship here on some level as well, and definitely are more strict in our own ways.

So did we lock this thread once?  Yes, but it's not "close-minded" as Matt mentioned, but rather it's our way of saying "move along"...  The topic had new reason to be re-opened, but if things die down again and we feel it's time for people to move onto new discussion and forget about what's in the past, then it'll get another lock...  You can't dwell on the past forever, basically.

I do hope everyone enjoys their stay here, enjoys the format, enjoys each other's company, and most of all has as much fun as they possibly can in a completely different setting.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #1602 on: April 12, 2005, 10:57 AM »
Add me to the list of ladies, gents and otherwise that have decided to give RS the boot.  :)  It's really too bad, as I been a part of that deal since CSW first started up, but the place has really gone downhill in the last couple of years and frankly I'm glad to be rid of it.  Aside from the friends I've made there it serves no purpose to me.  I feel confident that I can be a part of intelligent convesations here, and not have idiots like matkatanadam (or whatever his name was) telling me I'm an idiot for not appreciating George Lucas' genius prequel trilogy.

Anyway, I know who many of the mods here are, and I'm glad to be a member.

John

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: April 12, 2005, 12:16 PM »
This really has been a turning point.  All of the quality posters are now over here, or gone completely. I'm including Josheee too, and others who still haunt the Scum. Vintage doesn't count because that's like its own republic, and only worthwhile section now. You people are the type that kept me coming back for a good post once in a while, and real collecting analysis.

I'll still go to scum for a glance at news and vintage, but man, that Wuher's lost its way a long time ago.

I just realized something about the Spam:

1st spam came to an old email address, that I had forgotten I had removed until:

2nd spam came, and that one arrived at my currently registered email.  So the first one, as is obvious now from everyone else, was sent to an email database he's been collecting. OK.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1604 on: April 12, 2005, 01:16 PM »
...and not have idiots like matkatanadam (or whatever his name was) telling me I'm an idiot for not appreciating George Lucas' genius prequel trilogy.

Indeed, on both accounts.  I think I like you already, John.  Welcome to JD!  8)

- Matt