Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 587299 times)

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
Re: RS deletes accounts
« Reply #2175 on: December 15, 2005, 04:52 PM »
The thread he's referring to is the one that suddenly disappeared... so I tried to get onto scum a minute ago and I'm banned.  Awesome, eh?

You were probably banned for the "mods have their head up their asses" comment, and not so much for pointing out how Matt has been granted a lot of leeway over there.  It seemed to me like you threw that one in there just to get banned.  ;D

I knew that thread wouldn't last, but it would have been interesting if it did.   Man...the drama over the last couple of days has been exciting I guess (and I've missed most of it apparently).
Got Clones?

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: December 15, 2005, 05:23 PM »
Hmmm..after reading this I'm temped into going over there, signing up ,with alot of info and trashing the inept staff members and that uh..azzhole to no end until I get banned too!

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: December 15, 2005, 05:39 PM »
Hmmm..after reading this I'm temped into going over there, signing up ,with alot of info and trashing the inept staff members and that uh..azzhole to no end until I get banned too!

Go for it!  Challenge all the MODS by posting the same post in as many forums as you can!  Revolt! Rally the noobs!

Gotta love the COPY/PASTE function
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: December 15, 2005, 06:10 PM »
While I like the amount of people there and the amount of traffic, but I'm getting tired of the scum myself. Especially the heavy handed rulings!! When a troll like Matt can get others banned but not himself, then there's something wrong. Especially if they have coniving people as mods!!
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: December 15, 2005, 06:14 PM »
Matkatandshat should have been banned within his first month at that site between bragging about scalping to calling little Webster a homo to a plethora of other egregious offenses.

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2180 on: December 15, 2005, 06:17 PM »

Go for it!  Challenge all the MODS by posting the same post in as many forums as you can!  Revolt! Rally the noobs!

Or don't, and be mature and stop posting there.

Offline Killer185

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: December 15, 2005, 06:36 PM »

haha I love how how the to most problems are the easy ones...
"Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus. " - Lester Burnham, American Beauty

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: December 15, 2005, 07:13 PM »

I love you, Chris. :-*

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #2183 on: December 15, 2005, 10:57 PM »
If this place suddenly became the juggernaut that Rebelscum is, you guys would need 4 or 5 more full time moderators just to keep the newbies contained.  I think Rebelscum needs at least that many more

Hey, I'll put in my application. 

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #2184 on: December 15, 2005, 11:25 PM »
Well, I think it was Bertha who said that it has everything to do with the volume of traffic they see... but I don't really agree with that. I don't think that if JD had X hundreds more people roaming around in here, we'd have the same problems as RS... because I think most of RS' problems lie with their administration.

I've actually mentioned this before. I think a very large part of the reason this site is so cool and mellow is because it doesn't have a lot of readers. When a troublemaker comes in, he's easy to target, watch and eventually remove.

If this place suddenly became the juggernaut that Rebelscum is, you guys would need 4 or 5 more full time moderators just to keep the newbies contained.  I think Rebelscum needs at least that many more, and that's probably their biggest problem is that they've never had it.  Crazy trolls would never be allowed to survive as long as some of the ones over there have.   

I do agree with you about the feedback forum though.  Recently, I actually thought "Misterkenobis" idea about having noobs unable to post new threads was a great one. I visit some other forums that don't let you start new topics until you've been there for a little bit  and they are much easier to find info on.  It was quickly dismissed, maybe because Matt started it and he's not exactly a beacon of common sense over there.  I thought it was a good idea though.

But yeah, it seems like (ironically) some of the most constructive feedback for Rebelscum happens over here.  Over there, good ideas, complaints or comments get locked, buried or completely removed.  If they're in the feedback section where they belong, they are usually just locked...which is better than Wuher's where they often get completely hidden.  The last really big suggestion I remember getting pushed through was the removal of the post count, and that was quite some time ago.  These days, I think they need more staff, a more watchful eye on the scalpers in the community, and a few more sections to help sort out the clutter.

That's one reason why JD is really cool.  I have a feeling if there was a problem over here, we'd be able to talk about it openly.  However, I have a feeling that instead, we'll end up talking about problems over there indefinitely, because this site is probably going to remain a cool hangout like it is now.

By the way....it would be really cool if there was just a big "Rebelscum talk" topic that could always house this sort of conversation.  I find that it's a never-ending topic, but it continues from thread to thread over here as each one is eventually locked.    ;D

I agree. Say there is 1 troll for every 100 people that sign up at a board. The traffic at Scum alone attracts more trolls than here.

Plus, we get rid of them very fast  8)

I definitely think they should hire some more mods. There just is too much threads and members for the staff to handle. I mean, LJ was mod in some of the mods high traffic sections, and now that she's gone there is this void that hasn't been filled.

I was talking with another veteran member yesterday, and we noticed that most of the people that are there now have only been there for a year or two....look around; its rare to see someone pre 03 even. Luckily, most of the older members have just migrated here so I can still chat with you.

I agreed with Kenobi's thread on newbies needing to wait to start threads...it was getting crazy for a while. One member made 17 threads that needed to be locked....17. All were easily answered questions, and at least 2/3 were duplicate threads. I know not all new members are like this, but it seems to be an epidemic of new, usually young, users lately who right after they register go nuts and make 20 threads then in their ADD madness don't stop to listen to advice or spell correctly. I was annoyed that the thread was closed with a blunt "not going to happen anytime soon", and no reason as to why  :P

I agree, the #1 way to get banned is to make a thread in the feedback section. 9/10 out of ten, if the thread isn't deleted outright it is locked. Its getting very annoying...whats the point of the section if nothing is going to be discussed or thought about? I know I've personally PMed the admins many times in the last 6 months, and NONE of my PMs were responded (for the record, Dave Myatt and Curto did respond, so kudos to them). People are calling for change and I've notified the admins of the unrest, but apparently it doesn't matter.
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: December 15, 2005, 11:48 PM »
I definitely think they should hire some more mods

Me too.  Infact I nomintaed MisterKenobi just yesterday.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2186 on: December 16, 2005, 12:08 AM »
I think you guys would be surprised at A) just how little anyone there actually gives a ****, and B) just how much the staff here actually DOES give a ****.

I can safely say that yes a massive influx would be handled appropriately here...  Our staff are very vigilant about who's here, who's saying what...  And of course where they're saying it.  It's an underestimation to assume we couldn't handle ourselves with a larger population than we currently have.  Would we hire new?  Good chance we would just for our own ease, but I can tell you we would still run a better forum than Rebelscum, and I 100% firmly believe every word of that to be true.  It's not a matter of how many people, but a matter of how much you actually give a **** about what's going on at your site.

Case in point, it appears to me fraud and scalping are increasingly bigger problems there day after day...  No action = No Importance, not  their being "overwhelmed".  We've had our fair share of trolls, "newbs/noobs", douchebags, and instigators.  They're gone...  They're not tiptoed around, they're not sided with...  Some get a brief shot to improve and are gone, others are gone with their first foot-in-mouth asinine words.  There's people there to deal with it...  They just choose not to.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #2187 on: December 16, 2005, 12:45 AM »
I think you guys would be surprised at A) just how little anyone there actually gives a ****, and B) just how much the staff here actually DOES give a ****.

I can safely say that yes a massive influx would be handled appropriately here...  Our staff are very vigilant about who's here, who's saying what...  And of course where they're saying it.  It's an underestimation to assume we couldn't handle ourselves with a larger population than we currently have.  Would we hire new?  Good chance we would just for our own ease, but I can tell you we would still run a better forum than Rebelscum, and I 100% firmly believe every word of that to be true.  It's not a matter of how many people, but a matter of how much you actually give a **** about what's going on at your site.

Case in point, it appears to me fraud and scalping are increasingly bigger problems there day after day...  No action = No Importance, not  their being "overwhelmed".  We've had our fair share of trolls, "newbs/noobs", douchebags, and instigators.  They're gone...  They're not tiptoed around, they're not sided with...  Some get a brief shot to improve and are gone, others are gone with their first foot-in-mouth asinine words.  There's people there to deal with it...  They just choose not to.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely can tell a difference in the staff.

I mean, how long did Greenday last here?
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2188 on: December 16, 2005, 01:14 AM »
Not long...  With any account he forms.  He makes his presence known then a ban comes.  People like him do the same, and they are given their shot to be a part here and if they can't do so by our rules and standards they are gone...  We like for people to be given a chance but when they prove they can't be a harmonious part of the community they're banned, and rebanned as much as is necessary irregardless of how persistant they are.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: December 16, 2005, 11:58 AM »
Just for the fun of it, whoever has JJ as their Secret Santa should sent him some Rebel Fleet Troopers - Merry Christmas from Scum.   ;D

:P