Author Topic: The Spider-Man Movie Series  (Read 121469 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: The Spider-Man Movie Series
« Reply #240 on: May 7, 2007, 09:17 AM »
If you've seen the trailer, skip the movie.

Too long, mediocre acting - definitely the worst of the three.

Hopefully this will be the last of the franchise, nobody wants to see Spiderman go the way of the Batman movies.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 7, 2007, 09:48 AM »

Hopefully this will be the last of the franchise, nobody wants to see Spiderman go the way of the Batman movies.

I think they can redeem themselves. The Studios actually learn a major lesson from how bad they screwed up the pre-Bale Batman movies. As long as they let Rami and Sargent flesh out the story, the next Spiderman film could be just as good as 2.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 7, 2007, 11:54 AM »
If you've seen the trailer, skip the movie.

Too long, mediocre acting - definitely the worst of the three.

There was an announcement of sorts this morning suggesting Sony is up for doing another THREE Spiderman movies.  I like them, but that doesn't bode well for quality. 

I saw the movie on Friday as well.  I turned off my brain, suspended reality and enjoyed the movie.  That said, in retrospect there are so very many flaws in this movie it's kind of apalling.  Stray from the comic book much? 

I can't really complain too much without going into spoilers but I have lots of issues (with the movie).  Gwen Stacy.  Sandman's role in Ben Parker's death.  Venom.  Variable effectiveness of pumpkin bombs (or not). 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 7, 2007, 12:35 PM »
Freeze Dried Movies.com has a rumor up for who will be the villains in Spider-Man 4.  Its probably way too early to know who will appear, but I thought I'd post the rumor for who's interested.  I don't know if listing the characters is spoiler material for some people or not, so I'll just leave the link.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #244 on: May 7, 2007, 12:55 PM »
I think both choices for villians in the next movie are logical. Regardless if they got the info from an inside source or not.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #245 on: May 7, 2007, 03:24 PM »
I think the biggest problem with 3 was that Rami didn't want to include Venom, and as a result the Venom story elements fell flat.  It's hard to do things well when you have nothing but contempt for them.  The whole black costume thing was bad.  The way it was introduced.  The way it changed Peter's personality.  The fact that we only saw one relatively short battle with him in it, and in that battle it didn't really help him at all.  The movie could have been much better if had been all red-and-blue Spidey against Sandman, with Osborn thrown in the mix.

Spoilers...

I'm actually happy Rami killed Venom at the end, because this ensures Venom isn't in the next one, so Rami can focus on the villains he's actually passionate about.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2007, 03:25 PM by BillCable »
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 7, 2007, 04:00 PM »
I think the biggest problem with 3 was that Rami didn't want to include Venom, and as a result the Venom story elements fell flat.  It's hard to do things well when you have nothing but contempt for them.  The whole black costume thing was bad.  The way it was introduced.  The way it changed Peter's personality.  The fact that we only saw one relatively short battle with him in it, and in that battle it didn't really help him at all.  The movie could have been much better if had been all red-and-blue Spidey against Sandman, with Osborn thrown in the mix.

I think that's a good point.  I have nothing against Venom, and like him as a villain, but it might have been better to give him a movie to himself - or at least with just one other villain.  I don't necessarily believe in the "Batman theory" that you can't have more than one villain, but I did notice it seemed like there wasn't enough "room" in this movie for everything involved.  Obviously you want to see the Harry storyline wrapped up, and I liked the inclusion of Sandman, but you could see that there could have been a little more backstory built up for him if there was more time.  Like you mentioned, it has been said before that Raimi wasn't necessarily a big fan of Venom, so I think he was shoehorned in a little bit.  The character in the movie was fine with me, just a little brief.  Honestly, I would have rather seen more Venom in another movie instead of Carnage or other symbiote business.  I never got into the other symbiote stuff quite as much in the comics.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 7, 2007, 04:16 PM »
Yeah, you could tell Venom was thrown in the mix just to 'throw him in the mix.'  And why not introduce the symbiote as it was in the comics (or at least as I remember)?

Didn't John Jameson accidentally bring it back with him upon returning from a space mission? 

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 7, 2007, 04:25 PM »

Didn't John Jameson accidentally bring it back with him upon returning from a space mission? 

Nope.  In the comics, Spidey got the symbiote during Secret Wars after his red and blue costume got trashed.  However, in the cartoon (the 90s one, not Spider-man and his Amazing Friends and not the ****fest MTV one), Jameson's son did bring it back from a shuttle mission.  I haven't seen Spidey3 yet, so I don't know how the symbiote was handled, but I've always maintained that Jameson bringing back the symbiote was a perfectly acceptable alternative, even though it's not comic book accurate.  We know he was an astronaut and just got back from space in Spidey2 and it has nothing to do with Secret Wars.  Try explaining that to the average movie goer.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 7, 2007, 04:56 PM »
Many have probably already seen this, but I just saw some of these "Marvel and DC" parodies today (in the style of the Mac/PC commercials).  They are kind of funny, and the third one covers the new movie a little bit.  Here's the links if anyone is interested:

Marvel and DC #1

Marvel and DC #2

Marvel and DC #3

Marvel and DC #4

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 7, 2007, 05:19 PM »
Those are funny.  DC sucks.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 7, 2007, 06:03 PM »
Random thoughts with *SPOILERS*

Saw it on Friday, I'd rank it below 2 (honestly, how can you beat SM2?) but above 1. I did think Venom didn't get enough screen time but what they DID do with him was very cool. I can look past him speaking in first person too.

They did well with Sandman, I liked his whole story. At first I was pissed that they were going to have him be the one who murdered Uncle Ben but I think they pulled it off nicely, and I was pleased.

Topher was great as Brock, and I enjoyed Gwen Stacy... I thought she'd be way too much for the plot but they handled her nicely. I wouldn't mind seeing her return.

Evil Peter RULED. I need those dance moves. Now.

SPOILER response to BillCable's earlier post:
Venom isn't dead, we never saw a body, and in comics if you don't see a body he ain't dead. Even if he's dead, that piece of the Symbiote Conners has could go to the site and get Brock's DNA and become Venom again.

Freeze Dried Movies.com has a rumor up for who will be the villains in Spider-Man 4.  Its probably way too early to know who will appear, but I thought I'd post the rumor for who's interested.  I don't know if listing the characters is spoiler material for some people or not, so I'll just leave the link.

Oh dear, I hope that's just a rumor. Lizard would be cool, but Carnage was a completely different symbiote (plus they'd need a full movie with at least an R rating to do Carnage right). And Black Cat does nothing for me.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 7, 2007, 06:17 PM »
I used to watch the spiderman cartoon in the early 70's as a youth-one of my favorite cartoons as a kid
(now you can see most of them again on youtube).

So, as many episodes Spiderman had that included villian Mysterio(my fav, duh) how is it this many episodes gone through without him? Even Rhino was in alot of episodes too. So I wonder at how(and this just speculation based on rumors of next movies villians) villians are determined for the movies? Do they just have to have a good backstory? I admit though I didn't see Lizard much, he does have an interesting storyline to use-hopefully it would not be botched for the movie IF he is used.

DS

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 7, 2007, 06:33 PM »
Random thoughts with *SPOILERS*
SPOILER response to BillCable's earlier post:
Venom isn't dead, we never saw a body, and in comics if you don't see a body he ain't dead. Even if he's dead, that piece of the Symbiote Conners has could go to the site and get Brock's DNA and become Venom again.

From what I recall....Brock partially re-merged back with the symbiote before being blown up and I remember seeing a lil piece of black wiggly stuff on the ground before the the story pressed on.  I thought the piece in the lab would lead to Carnage in the next movie.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 7, 2007, 09:36 PM »
It was okay, but it really was clogged up with too many characters and too many subplots.  I would've kept Venom and developed that storyline a little more, and completely left Sandman out of it.

The thing I liked (well, loved) about the first two movies was that each had a theme that was well developed and firmly rooted in the comics.  SM3 tried too hard to force the whole vengance/forgiveness theme, and Sandman seemed shoehorned in just to make that theme all the more explicit.

The same theme could have been more effectively carried out simply between Harry and Peter, and the Venom/Eddie Brock subplot could have been used as a counterpoint if it had been developed a bit more.  The elements were there, anyway (like Eddie vowing revenge for Peter wrecking his career, etc.)

The retrocharacterization stuff that generally wrecks sequels was completely missing from SM2, but was relied on too heavily in SM3.  How convenient that Sandman was retroactively written in to have been the cause of Uncle Ben's death, and how much more convenient that Harry's butler finally comes clean about cleaning Norman's wounds and whatever.  Too convenient, too contrived.

I did like the bad Peter stuff, and Bryce Dallas Howard is ******* hot.  If they do continue with this series, I hope that MJ gets killed and Peter marries Gwen instead.
"Really?  Sorry."