Author Topic: The Spider-Man Movie Series  (Read 121463 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Spider-Man Movie Series
« Reply #300 on: January 6, 2010, 10:12 AM »
A number of reports online that Spider-Man 4 production has been delayed, primarily due to script problems.  Some are reporting that Sam Raimi was really unhappy with the script, so changes are being made.  Making the original May 2011 release date is now in jeopardy, although they still hope to get it out that summer.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #301 on: January 6, 2010, 10:35 AM »
Good to hear.  Vultress was an abomination.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 11, 2010, 06:21 PM »
Well that stinks - I guess.  I never read the comics, but enjoyed the cartoon in the 90's as a kid/teen.  The movies were fairly decent minus #3, but Toby just never seemed like a good fit for Spidey IMO.  Hopefully the reboot will be good for the franchise.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 11, 2010, 07:16 PM »
Blah.  F Hollywood.  The Hulk, that was a film in dire need of a reboot.  Spider-Man, not so much.  It just needed a script that didn't suck...and not the Vulture as the villain.

New model?  Make an excellent film.  Make a better sequel.  **** up part three.  Reboot. 
I guess they're doing it with the Resident Evil films also.  So, X-Men reboot next I guess? 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 11, 2010, 07:19 PM »
Blah.  F Hollywood.  The Hulk, that was a film in dire need of a reboot.  Spider-Man, not so much.  It just needed a script that didn't suck...and not the Vulture as the villain.

New model?  Make an excellent film.  Make a better sequel.  **** up part three.  Reboot. 
I guess they're doing it with the Resident Evil films also.  So, X-Men reboot next I guess? 

E...

I really don't get why they need to reboot a franchase every few years.  How many Star Trek films were there all pretty much in continuity?  Even the last "reboot" could be interpreted as in-line with the other movies.  I didn't love them all, but it's a better way to go than restarting every 2-3 movies.  Ridiculous.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 11, 2010, 09:25 PM »
Sort of disappointing to hear.  Aside from Spidey 3 (which the studio/etc. meddled with a lot), I really enjoyed Raimi's take on the Spidey world.  At the same time, I hope they do a great job with the reboot.  I can sort of see wanting to start Spidey younger (they mention him being in high school in the "reboot"), and although I really liked Maguire in the Parker role...its not like I don't think anyone else can play him either.  I'm disappointed we'll have to wait until 2012 for a new Spidey movie, but I hope it is a good one.  The whole "reboot" thing is getting out of hand though.  It is difficult with Sony being involved, but I do wish that they could come to some sort of agreement where Spidey can be a part of this shared world with the Avengers and other Marvel Studios things.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 11, 2010, 09:26 PM »
I'll agree with you there: I don't see the need for all manner of rebooting for films.  I'll disagree in a sense with Trek - I think it was desperately needed if only because the actors are now so damn old.  

But just move on for most of them, forget about the crap and carry on.  

X-men - I like the actors in the characters they play for the most part so just write a better script.  Here's a novel thought, try to stay truer to the comic origins - you might be surprised how well the general public would receive that.  

Spidey - same deal here; for the most part I like the actors or at least have gotten used to them.  Good script = good story = good $$

I can handle them getting new actors for any role, particularly if any given actor is being a dick about it. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 11, 2010, 09:35 PM »
I'll agree with you there: I don't see the need for all manner of rebooting for films.  I'll disagree in a sense with Trek - I think it was desperately needed if only because the actors are now so damn old.  

My point on Trek was that they made 6 or 7 movies with the same cast and even movies with next gen and the latest were in the same continuim.  That was meant as an example where you don't need to reboot the franchise to be successful.  OBviously with the latest flick, they did a reboot, but it was a long time coming before that.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 11, 2010, 09:58 PM »
What next? The Matrix Rebooted?

I can kind of see why Spidey's being redone. All of the main adversaries are killed off (that I know of. I'm just a casual fan of the cartoons). Kind of like Tim Burton killing the Joker in the first film... and no more multi-villain movies. Just one-per please... unless you make a cameo or something to that effect to allude that this will be the baddie in the next movie.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:03 PM by Darth Vlad »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 11, 2010, 10:17 PM »
Well this sucks. Yeah, Spidey 3 kinda sucked, but 1 and 2 were done PERFECTLY. Nobody wants to sit through yet another Spider-Man origin movie when it was done just about perfect 8 years ago. Oh, and don't get me started on seeing the same villains again.

I know it doesn't work this way, but now that Disney owns Marvel, anyone else think we get Zac Efron as Peter and Miley Cyrus as Mary Jane?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 11, 2010, 10:46 PM »
I know it doesn't work this way, but now that Disney owns Marvel, anyone else think we get Zac Efron as Peter and Miley Cyrus as Mary Jane?

OH HELL NO!!

Yeah I agree with whats been said, Spidey dont need a reboot and having to sit through an origin movie again is going to suck, the first spidey was ok the second was well close to perfect, Alfred Molina was made to play Doc Oc.

The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Biffette

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 11, 2010, 11:19 PM »
'SPIDER-MAN 4' SCRAPPED; SAM RAIMI & TOBEY MAGUIRE & CAST OUT; FRANCHISE REBOOT FOR 2012

Mike Fleming and Nikki Finke have just confirmed that Sony Pictures decided today to reboot the Spider-Man franchise after franchise director Sam Raimi pulled out of Spider-Man 4 because he felt he couldn't make its summer release date and keep the film's creative integrity. This means that Raimi and the cast including star Tobey Maguire are out. There will be no Spider-Man 4. Instead, Mike Fleming is told, the studio will focus on a Summer 2012 reboot from a script by Jamie Vanderbilt with a new director and a new cast. All this took place today at meeting on the lot today. An official Sony Pictures news release about it is expected out now

Tobey Maguire just released this statement to me: “I am so proud of what we accomplished with the Spider-Man franchise over the last decade. Beyond the films themselves I have formed some deep and lasting friendships. I am excited to see the next chapter unfold in this incredible story.”

And on top of that, Bill beat me to it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 12:13 AM by Jeff »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 12, 2010, 09:48 AM »
Agreed about the Trek reboot, I think that was a good idea too.  They can work in certain situations (the new Hulk movie was a great improvement over the first I thought too), and I'm willing to see where this Spidey one goes as well.

I'm all for Spidey being a little younger as well.  I liked Tobey Maguire in the part just fine, but he was starting to look a little older I thought.  I do hope they keep some things that worked with the movies though, particularly the costume.  I thought that was one of the better superhero costumes transitioned to the big screen, and hopefully they keep that (or something similar).  The casting will be most interesting (I certainly hope they don't go the "Disney" route), and hopefully we'll start hearing more over the coming weeks/months.  It sounds like a "starting from scratch", but I also hope they could keep J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson though.  Out of all the movies, I think that was one of the best casting choices overall.

I also don't think we need to see another rehash of the origin story, at least not taking up the majority of the movie.  I think most people, even the general "non fan" public, knows how Spidey got his powers.  If they wanted to do a condensed version (similar to the opening of the rebooted Hulk movie, or even last year's Wolverine), I think that could work.  Start off the movie when he's already Spidey, and go from there.  I wonder if the villains already used are "off limits" as well, or if we could see them again eventually as well.  I don't think we need to see them in the first movie obviously (I wouldn't mind seeing the Lizard), but down the road possibly.  I'm really interested to see where the series will go from here.  I was a big fan of the movie series itself (particularly the first two, some of my favorites of all-time)...but at the same time I'm not totally against recasting/rebooting before Spidey was 40 years old.  I do think Raimi had a pretty good take on Spidey's world (except I'd like to see more humor/banter from Spidey himself), so I hope whoever takes it over next can bring that same respect and love to the character as well.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 12, 2010, 06:02 PM »
Apparently Michael Bay is telling people he wants to direct the rebooted Spidey franchise. If that ends up happening, I'll be skipping the next few Spider-Man movies until the next reboot.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks