Author Topic: Army Building - PT vs OT  (Read 8165 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Army Building - PT vs OT
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 05:59 PM »
Cool topic Brian.

While I do like the OT stuff a bit better, I army build more with the PT stuff. 

My reasononing might be a bit different than others, but what drives me to buy more PT army builders is the fact that we see larger battle in the PT, with more of an emphasis on large armies going all out.  We see thousands of troops in so many different scenes... The troop battles in the OT seemed more confined with smaller fights going on (of course because of the limits of technology those days) for the most part so I guess that's why I don't go as crazy with my OT armies.

:P
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 06:02 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 09:12 PM »
Cool topic Brian.

My reasononing might be a bit different than others, but what drives me to buy more PT army builders is the fact that we see larger battle in the PT, with more of an emphasis on large armies going all out.  We see thousands of troops in so many different scenes... The troop battles in the OT seemed more confined with smaller fights going on (of course because of the limits of technology those days) for the most part so I guess that's why I don't go as crazy with my OT armies.

Yes, I have to agree with this as well.
I tend to build how you see them on screen.
There were MANY Utapau troopers, hence I have a huge Utapau army.
Many 501st troopers.
MANY MANY AOTC styled troopers.

While I have a lot of Stormies, I don't need a huge army for each scene. Only really big land based battle with Stormies is Endor. Snowtroopers only appear on Hoth, and at that you don't really see too many of them, so while still an army, it is much smaller. Biker scouts even less as they were only on Endor and not seen too much during the big battle.

What I do like about that though is that you can convey the scene very well with a dozen or so troops and still make it look good. Exception again being Endor. Nearly any given OT scene with troops can be done with a dozen of so troops and will look like it's fleshed out well. Heck with the Death Star there are Officers, Gunners, Death Star Troopers, Stormtroopers, and TIE fighter pilots to fill scenes. With that kind of variety we really don't need to have tons of each. (Though trust me I understand the desire to want a lot.)

But to do something on the order of Utapau or better yet Geonosis, well a dozen just doesn't cut it. Well, not with what I have in mind, mind you my diorama plans call for each of those to be LARGE dioramas at 8ft wide, 5ft tall and 4 ft deep each. So it stands to reason I need more troops to fill those dioramas up.

Large OT dioramas just don't call for that kind of amount of figures. True enough a multifacted Death Star diorama would need many Stormies to fill it out, but that's more like many smaller diioramas put together than one big one. I have plans for this too, but it is modular in design to allow for change.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 09:22 AM »

The problem I see with why PT sells better than OT is that the PT has an "Ultimate" sculpt as pretty much it's only sculpt.  The #41 Clone was very near perfection (articulation and sculptwise) right out of the gate.  So they can just re-do that all day long, also as mentioned previously, RoTS had to be written by hasbro just to sell the various colors of clones...

Another problem is...Aside from the Death Star Gunner, VOTC/Tantive/TAC Stormtrooper (I know different sclupts) VTSC Biker Scout and the VTAC SnowTrooper, there aren't Definative Sculpts.  The Death Star Trooper is TERRIBLE, inaccurate, out of scale and like Rob said..only has one head sculpt (therefore it is not very Generic).  The Tie Pilot is missing arm Articulation, the Rebel pilots have the same problem (aside from being scaled to about 8 feet tall), The Rebel Fleet Trooper Sux (just ask JJ), The Endor Trooper has not been done correctly despite recent attempts and the Hoth Rebel hasn't even had a recent enough attempt to consider it part of the same line.

And I will admit to a bit of less interest to massively collecting OT troopers if they have a Jango Head underneath.  Yup, I can leave the helmet on and I do, but after 30 years of imagining it is very hard for me to accept that All stormtroopers are Jango clones...maybe if I had liked the prequels even one iota it would be different, but as the old saying goes "it is on the inside that counts"...well if Jango is inside..I don't necessarily want it.

Well said Paul.

I had been wanting to chime in on this, but haven't had the time to sit and think out a logical answer beyond my personal preference of OT Army building. What Paul said more or less sums my feelings, but it doesn't stop me from doing less PT army building.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 05:24 PM »
Cool topic Brian.

Yes, I have to agree with this as well.
I tend to build how you see them on screen.
There were MANY Utapau troopers, hence I have a huge Utapau army.
Many 501st troopers.
MANY MANY AOTC styled troopers.

While I have a lot of Stormies, I don't need a huge army for each scene. Only really big land based battle with Stormies is Endor. Snowtroopers only appear on Hoth, and at that you don't really see too many of them, so while still an army, it is much smaller. Biker scouts even less as they were only on Endor and not seen too much during the big battle.

What I do like about that though is that you can convey the scene very well with a dozen or so troops and still make it look good. Exception again being Endor. Nearly any given OT scene with troops can be done with a dozen of so troops and will look like it's fleshed out well. Heck with the Death Star there are Officers, Gunners, Death Star Troopers, Stormtroopers, and TIE fighter pilots to fill scenes. With that kind of variety we really don't need to have tons of each. (Though trust me I understand the desire to want a lot.)

But to do something on the order of Utapau or better yet Geonosis, well a dozen just doesn't cut it. Well, not with what I have in mind, mind you my diorama plans call for each of those to be LARGE dioramas at 8ft wide, 5ft tall and 4 ft deep each. So it stands to reason I need more troops to fill those dioramas up.

Large OT dioramas just don't call for that kind of amount of figures. True enough a multifacted Death Star diorama would need many Stormies to fill it out, but that's more like many smaller diioramas put together than one big one. I have plans for this too, but it is modular in design to allow for change.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Great explanation there, I concur 100%.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 11:36 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 11:54 AM »
So why is this posted in this thread?

Anyway, back on topic.  I'm in the process of moving and have been boxing up a lot of my collection.  A good deal of it is going into storage for the next year, and the remainder is going into rubbermaid bins until I can get situated in my new place. 

What have I found?  My armies are geared much more towards the PT.  My AOTC Clone army is very considerable.  The ROTS Clone Army is up there, too, but I think because of the unit markings on the ROTS Clones they don't stand out as much as the AOTC Clones.  There's also a good deal of Battle Droids, Super Battle Droids and the like.

I think the best estimation of what I have is going to come in about a year or so.  That's when I'm moving into a place that's big enough that I'll finally be able to display all the armies in their glory.  I think the OT Imperials are going to be well represented.  At least well enough to make for a good Emporer's arrival diorama.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 11:56 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 02:02 PM »
Just a heads up that I split off discussion about the repainted Stormtrooper into the More from The Force Unleashed? thread so it's all in one location.  Thanks!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 02:07 PM »
Yeah good idea to split it.  I should have posted the image in that thread probably first. 

I'm considering this to be more EU-OT army building.  If there is such a thing... which is what I consider the McQuarrie army builders I suppose.