Author Topic: 2008 Wave 1 - Revenge of the Sith  (Read 84493 times)

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Wave 1 - Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #225 on: January 31, 2008, 04:01 PM »
Yeah
Small Soldiers was the movie name I think
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #226 on: January 31, 2008, 04:22 PM »
I can remember the Boba Fett in particular being quite impressive to us, and its funny now looking at that figure compared to the VOTC version.  It doesn't seem like figures can get a whole heck of a lot better than they are now, but I'm sure that we thought the same thing back then.  There are always improvements in paint and all that, so you never know.

I have the same memory when I picked up Boba Fett and Luke X-Wing. I was knocked on my ass by Luke's helmet details and Boba's armor scratches. I said it does not get better than that.
Man I was wrong.

I am sure improvements will be made but I think these will hold up longer than the previous series. I will catch up with you on this topic in 10yrs. Sound like a plan?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 04:22 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 31, 2008, 05:50 PM »
I know, I know i went over the top with the whole playsets statements.

Lol, I was with you with the flying cars and intelligent ape leaders, but then you had to go ahead and say Hasbro will make SW playsets.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 31, 2008, 08:28 PM »
Man oh man, 2-1B is short.  Just opened all my wave 1 loot up and 2-1B just doesn't look right next to Bacta Luke.  I don't really have a problem with the Kasyykk Trooper, but 2-1B... 
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #229 on: January 31, 2008, 08:46 PM »
I was reading some conversation on this elsewhere...

A point was brought up that, "you can't fault 2-1B because the original figure was made during POTF2 and they didn't care about scale back then", which really isn't a good point in the slightest...  Here's why.

These folks are citing a figure's possible "inaccuracy" based on the timeframe he was released, not the "facts" on what a to-scale 2-1B figure would look like compared to other figures in the line...  Essentially they are using the argument that anything prior to, let's say 1999, is inaccurate because Hasbro didn't focus on accurate figure sizes at that time...

Wouldn't it be smarter though, to say that 2-1B's POTF2 figure could easily be to-scale compared to a VOTC Han, or SA Clonetrooper because the actual droid prop from Empire Strikes back isn't a dinky little thing compared to a normal person?

The prop's on tour with the Science Meets Imagination tour (In Philly this upcoming month I do believe)...  Saw it in person in Columbus myself.  I'm 5'10", not short and not tall, and this wasn't a SMALL piece of prop, let me tell you.  It wasn't big either, but 2-1B seemed to be an average-sized man to me...

I dunno, it just seemed very silly to me that people would so quickly discount POTF2 figures just because, well, they're POTF2 figures...  So clearly they mustn't be the right heigh, eh?   ::) 

But whatever it takes to "accept" the figure's diminutive size, that's fine by me.  I don't honestly consider this droid to be the same model that was in Empire Strikes Back, actually.  To me they were in the same family, but not the same model...  Kind of like an R1 and R2 unit.  So with that, I am not terribly bothered by the height at all with the droid.  So 2-1B's ok to me, if not a little smaller than I would've preferred.

On the Clone, the height difference isn't as bad, but still...  A clone is a clone.  He's shorter than Gree, and I'd guess he's shorter than the basic Clone sculpts like the SA one, or #6 clone, or the AOTC SA one...  That's a little annoying to me, and just a quality oversight on Hasbro's part.  It annoys me with Cody too.  I believe the argument for people to be happy about that issue is that "you can't compare him to the original 41st figure, blah blah blah", but really...  That figure's "average" height, so yeah, you sorta can...  It comes up short, and that's that.

I guess for many it's just easier to cover for Hasbro when they do something wrong because they make the thing you like, so people get "personally offended" or something when you cite there's something wrong with it, but it just seems silly.  Like burrying your head in the sand on it just so you can't see its faults or something.  To each his own of course.

The 41st's such a great figure overall it seems (even removable pouches!), that the height thing really sticks out like a sore thumb more to me now.  They came real close on that one for sure though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediTray

• Banned
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
    • JediTray's Website
« Reply #230 on: January 31, 2008, 09:20 PM »
Hasbro = Cheap Ba$tards.

It is most likely a move to save on plastic since it is petroleum-based.  That really sucks.  I'll stick to the POTF2 2-1B.  That's just ludicrous.  Maybe some answers could come from a future Q&A.
"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

My Website

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #231 on: January 31, 2008, 09:57 PM »
I honestly don't agree with the issue being a matter of cheapness.  Raw materials that produce SW figures aren't such a delicate balance in the cost scheme...  Plastic's a funny thing.  Many cite it as something that's skyrocketing, and over a great number of products produced it is a more major impact, but shrinking 2 figures here and there really isn't something that would make a financial dent in the overall cost.  Really nothing they would've done would've GREATLY impacted the bottom line short of selling x number of an existing tooled figure, like mixing in a repaint or some such.

Most of the cost-cutting measures are something done across the board, to lessen the financial burden.  Less articulation, less paint applications, etc.  I think these two figures are really just a quality issue no different than a lop-sided leg on Stormtroopers we got throughout 2007, or the design of the Marine's feet so they're a little difficult to stand.  They're just that kind of little thing that's not caught in time, and collectors are stuck dealing with it.

Now, if the line overall went from say a 3.75" to 2" scale, I think you'd see a materials cost impact to the line as a whole (not to give Hasbro ideas, heh), but that's a whole other story.  It's one wave with 2 seeming flaws.  Just like Cody was a little short in 2006, or Dutch Vander's figure is too tall in 2003, I think it's really just a goof on Hasbro's part.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #232 on: January 31, 2008, 10:08 PM »
Very true Jess... also if plastic costs were going to be an issue in 08, why go back to the plastic stands rather than continue on with the aluminum coin pack-in?

And just to touch on the 2-1B underscaled discussion. I don't see an issue with it being "underscaled", I look at this figure as the definitive ROTS 2-1B, not the ESB 2-1B.

Edit: The 2-1B in ESB is, to me, a different model altogether model year:

Different color, Different height, Different chest. Different arm. Different figure.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:28 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 31, 2008, 10:32 PM »
Hmm... I have mixed feelings about this. 2-1B... I don't know, I thought he was taller, but then again droid height shouldn't matter that much. Troopers, I'm fine with some height differences but Clones are supposed to be the same. I don't know, I'll have to wait and see when I see them in person.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #234 on: January 31, 2008, 10:36 PM »
I agree with Jayson on it being a completely different character...  A clone is a clone, like I said.  The height's more important because of the character not really changing.  The 2-1B is not the same figure...  If it's comparison is the POTF2 figure, or it's intended to be a resculpt of that, it's not right, but really to me I am in the camp it's a completely different droid series is all, and thus the height doesn't bug me too much.

Part of that probably is that I just don't have a ton of interest in the character/figure either.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2008, 10:51 PM »
The 2-1B model in ESB is, to me, a different model altogether: Different color, Different height, Different chest. Different arm. Different figure.

Different height?  Hmm...if you really want to get technical, sure, there's a timeframe difference between a ROTS-era 2-1B and an ESB 2-1B, and as you mentioned, the coloring, chest and arm are different.  But the height?  The droid model is still the same.  Using a different example, you could argue that R2-B1 isn't R2-D2, but it is still the same droid model, regardless of the timeframe difference.  Should R2-D2 be any shorter than R2-B1?  Hasbro scaled this newest version of 2-1B off.  Way off.  2-1B wasn't a munchkin of a droid.  And this newest version of 2-1B is small.       

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #236 on: January 31, 2008, 11:09 PM »
I think the R2-D2 / R2-B1 example is slightly flawed. What physical/exterior differences, other than color, are there? None.

To clarify my point, let's try this example:
A Chevy Camaro (from 1967) represents the ROTS-era 2-1B and a Chevy Camaro (from 1988) represents the ESB-era 2-1B. The Camaros are the same "make and model", but with drastically different exteriors.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:17 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 31, 2008, 11:40 PM »
But see, I don't think there's a real difference between a ROTS-era 2-1B droid and an ESB-era 2-1B droid.  Cars change over the years, but droids in the SW galaxy?  There are minor differences (color, detailing) between both eras of 2-1B, sure, but for there to be what seems like a big height discrepency? 

Of course, according to the SW database, 2-1B is supposed to stand about 4 1/2 feet tall.  Didn't seem that short in either movie (ROTS or ESB).       

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 31, 2008, 11:45 PM »
I agree with the different models of 2-1B to differentiate the RotS and ESB models and I think Jay's analogy of the Camaros is good.

As for the different sizes of clones, I think one could chalk that up as different ages. Between AotC and RotS, we saw 3 age groups of clones, the Daniel Logan as the young clones, Bodie Taylor as the red jumpsuit trainees, and Temuera Morrison as the older clones we see, like Cody. So I would say the shorter clones are more the younger Bodie Taylor clones.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #239 on: February 1, 2008, 12:37 AM »
IMO the droids head should be the same size...which should replecate the size of a human head...this figure looks like a pea brain while the POTF2 is at least in scale to the other figures.  Height I can see could be different but not everything else...