Author Topic: Realistic Clone Wars 3D Figures  (Read 51591 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Animated Clone Wars 3D Figures
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 09:18 PM »
If things went the way of the animated style, I'm out...  It's, essentially, a new toy line at that point, and I'd take the opportunity to basically step away without regret.  If it's just Clone Wars that's "animated" in its sculpting, I'll simply pass on it... 

I'll also be disappointed greatly by the choice to go that route, but I'll save a ton of money not buying it...  Goes for vehicles and the like.  Either realistic or nothing, that's my philosophy on it anyway.  I didn't have much of a problem passing on the animated figures from the first series, and honestly I guess I just don't have the nostalgia for Droids/Ewoks others do. 

I guess the end result is that either I'm disappointed that there's no good CW stuff I want or will collect, or I'm disappoitned at what an outrageously expensive year 2008 is. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 09:48 PM »
I kind of like the idea of having the figures styled in the way the first appeared. If the new Clone Wars line was done in that style I'd be happy with it, as long as they didn't re-release them in the future in the realistic style.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 07:54 AM »
I kind of like the idea of having the figures styled in the way the first appeared. If the new Clone Wars line was done in that style I'd be happy with it, as long as they didn't re-release them in the future in the realistic style.

The problem is that is exactly what Hasbro has done (and continues to do if the Wave 3 list appears to be true).

Durge, Ventress, Dooku, Cody, Grievous, Nelvaan Anakin, Yavin Battle Anakin, Red Arc Trooper Commander - all of those characters have a realistic version and an animated version. Not to mention the fact that the Yoda we got in the animated line was translated into a realistic figure WITH the Kybuck just last year and we've continued to get figures in the realistic styled line that we never saw in the animated line: Obi-Wan w/Clone Armor (hopefully getting an improvement soon), Foul Moudamma, Roron Corrob, Voolvif Monn, Arc Heavy Gunner...

Like I said in my post below - having the new line also realistically styled allows Hasbro to re-use toolings that they already have.

I guess I should had to one of those "pros" for realistic styling that we won't be subjected to animated versions in 2008 and then in 2011 realistic versions due to the fact that the Clone Wars animated style figure line crashed and burned.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 10:56 AM »

Are you saying that you would have preferred these figures only being animated style instead of what we have?

I think in a way on the TAC ones at least, Hasbro has kind of put an animated flair into them with the eyes...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 12:21 PM »
Add the Hawkbat Battalion Clone to the mix, too because that's a Clone Wars figure as well.  I think that all of these Clone Wars figures are a likely indication that we're getting real-world style figures, and not something stylized.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 02:16 PM »

Are you saying that you would have preferred these figures only being animated style instead of what we have?

http://www.yakface.com/TGuide2004/ActionFigures/tac/58/lf5sm.jpg
http://www.yakface.com/TGuide2004/ActionFigures/tac/32/lf21sm.jpg
http://www.yakface.com/TGuide2004/ActionFigures/tac/31/lf4sm.jpg
http://www.yakface.com/TGuide2004/ActionFigures/tsc/029/lf2sm.jpg

I think in a way on the TAC ones at least, Hasbro has kind of put an animated flair into them with the eyes...

No, I'm saying that for the new Clone Wars figure line, I wouldn't mind having it stand apart from the other basic figures in the TAC08 line by being sculpted in the animated style. The upcoming "cartoon" character designs have a unique look that (for me) will be lost in the translation to the "realistic" style sculpt.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 02:17 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 04:43 PM »
I see what you mean, but I think that the line would bomb pretty bad if it were in the animated style... there are some people that like it, but as a whole it doesn't fit into what most of us see as Star Wars figures.  They would be doomed for the clearance section... not that I don't think it might be nice to see some sort of subline offered online, but I don't think there's a big enough niche for Hasbro to try it again at retail.  Just my opinion, and it could be wrong.

And oh yeah, the Hawkbat clone should be considered too.  Good catch Nicklab.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 06:07 PM »
I see what you mean, but I think that the line would bomb pretty bad if it were in the animated style... there are some people that like it, but as a whole it doesn't fit into what most of us see as Star Wars figures.  They would be doomed for the clearance section... not that I don't think it might be nice to see some sort of subline offered online, but I don't think there's a big enough niche for Hasbro to try it again at retail.  Just my opinion, and it could be wrong.

And oh yeah, the Hawkbat clone should be considered too.  Good catch Nicklab.

and shirtless Ani...and the grevious battle pack...
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 02:28 PM »
I think they will be realistic.  But it is odd that if wave 3 is true that's quite a few main figures from Clone Wars in that wave - Kenobi, Tiin, clones, etc.  I thought they would have saved those for Fall.  I guess they can always repack them or make something new.  Kenobi in that armor will probably get repacked 5 times at least.  But it almost makes me afraid they may be pushing a last wave in realistic style?  We'll see of course. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 02:38 PM »
Yeah, from past indications of sales and Hasbro's comments, I would really think they would be realistic style as well - but some things are starting to make me wonder.  Like it was mentioned earlier, Hasbro's cryptic responses lately, plus the fact that "animated" seems to be sort of popular right now (a point made in this week's GH Q and Ai I believe).  Looking at the action figure lines, we have The Batman, Justice League Unlimited, the new Pirates line, upcoming Transformers Animated, upcoming Spider-Man animated, Ben 10, etc. - not to mention the maquette stuff that has gone on and the other "cartoony" stuff like Mighty Muggz, Galactic Heroes/SHS, and even things like the 25th Joe line that have a bit of a cartoon influence in a way.  Not that I hate the animated style at all, but as far as a "big" line, I'd just as soon they fit in with the other realistic stuff we've gotten from the movies.  It will be interesting to see, we should know in a few weeks I guess.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 02:46 PM by Brian »

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 04:29 PM »
I just can't justify buying these characters AGAIN, just because they are in a new style. Cool as they might be.

I know I'll be itchin' to buy the clones, too, but I've got to pull back somewhere.

If the Clone Wars line later this year is animated, I'm going to pass.

I REALLY hope they don't go the animated route with the vehicles either.

I DEMAND a realistic AT-TE. I've said so with my dollars over the years as have many others. This is a MOVIE vehicle FIRST!

(sorry for the rant, it's just the talk of animated style is really starting to bother me.)
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 04:34 PM »
I just can't justify buying these characters AGAIN, just because they are in a new style. Cool as they might be.

I know I'll be itchin' to buy the clones, too, but I've got to pull back somewhere.

If the Clone Wars line later this year is animated, I'm going to pass.

I REALLY hope they don't go the animated route with the vehicles either.

I DEMAND a realistic AT-TE. I've said so with my dollars over the years as have many others. This is a MOVIE vehicle FIRST!

(sorry for the rant, it's just the talk of animated style is really starting to bother me.)

well based on the pictures of the AT-TE we have seen it doesnt look to be animated...
didnt hasbro say in the QnA that the "action features" would be very different this year. maybe by that they mean animated...but thats just a guess.
In the end though i too kinda hope not all the figures are animated. i like the realistic type figures and i dont need a different type mixed in with them.

School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 04:34 PM »
That's the thing though, I think - at least from what we've seen in the Clone Wars Animated trailer - that the vehicles could probably be used either way.  They are realistic enough in the animation that they could just make them in realistic style and it could still pass for a "Clone Wars Animated" vehicle.  I'm more concerned about the figures' style changing than the vehicles, but we'll see.  If they were doing vehicles in the other "2D" way (like the previous Clone Wars), the difference is more noticeable.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 05:37 PM »
I like how we refer to certain SW toys as "realistic."  ;D  Not sure what else you could call them, but that just strikes me as funny. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 10:40 PM »

No need to apologize Sal - I feel the same way.

I am going to be one VERY unhappy camper come February 17th if the Clone Wars figures turn out to be done in any style OTHER than the current 3.75" 'realistic' style.

I like how we refer to certain SW toys as "realistic."  ;D  Not sure what else you could call them, but that just strikes me as funny. 

Yeah - it is funny, I guess what we're saying is that we'd rather have something like this:

than this:

I look at the bottom image and all I can think to myself is "my god, that design SUCKS, there's not one redeeming quality to that design from the stubby legs to the bulbous chest to the pea-sized head" - it's not really even aesthetically pleasing.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 10:42 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!