Author Topic: 2009 JD CUSTOM CONTEST DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 33621 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: CUSTOM CONTEST IS HERE PLEASE READ
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 12:17 AM »
And in case anyone is having trouble finding it here is our Top 30 List once again:

1. Bom Vimdin16. Emperor Palpatine (Senate Duel)
2. Weequay (Skiff Master)17. Endor Rebel Soldier (Super Articulated Resculpt)
3. Bespin Han Solo (Super Articulated Resculpt)18. Fozec
4. Torryn Farr19. Kithaba
5. Doctor Evazan (Super Articulated Resculpt)20. Lumat/Wompus
6. Ponda Baba (Super Articulated Resculpt)21. Nien Nunb (Super Articulated Resculpt)
7. Hoth Princess Leia (Super Articulated Resculpt)22. Nikto (Vintage version)
8. Rebel Fleet Trooper (Super Articulated Resculpt)   23. Sim Aloo
9. ANH Grand Moff Tarkin (Super Articulated Resculpt)24. Zam Wessel (Super Articulated Resculpt)
10. Hoth Rebel Soldier (Echo Base)25. Tonnika Sisters (2-Pack)
11. Hoth Luke Skywalker (Super Articulated Resculpt)26. Joruus C'baoth
12. Mosep27. Admiral Pellaeon
13. Sergeant Doallyn28. Imperial Commander (SA Black Tunic)
14. Admiral Ackbar (Super Articulated Resculpt)29. Guri
15. Cliegg Lars30. Bastilla Shan

(Note once again that Jocasta Nu isn't on the list... :P)
"This is the way."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: September 9, 2009, 04:47 AM »
We had a few questions about the contest rules that I'd like to post so we can clarify things a bit:

1) is the contest going to be "anonymous"? Will we be emailing the photos to you (or someone else) and then the voting will take place without knowing how made what? Or will it be like "Here's my custom: photo" type thing?

1) That's up to you guys. If you want to submit it publicly we are totally cool with that. Same goes for any WIP pictures. If you are worried about people copying your figure or attempting the same thing you guys don't have to show anything publicly. We are still figure out exactly how we will run the voting procedure, but we will probably do it leave it up to you guys whether you want your name atached to the pictures or if you'd like to remain anonymous for the voting. When we announce the winners we'll also disclose who made what.

2) does it have to be a figure that has not been shown/seen before on this website or any other website?

2) Yeah we are looking for new figures. It always has kind of bugged me when people submit a figure they made a few years ago in any customizing challenges just because it fits the theme. For me the entire fun of the custom challenges/contests is making a new figure. That really is the point of having these anyways. While it is fun to show off old customs, only new figures will be eligible to win any prizes.

I hope this clears things up a bit. Keep the entries coming. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: October 3, 2009, 04:08 AM »
2) does it have to be a figure that has not been shown/seen before on this website or any other website?

2) Yeah we are looking for new figures. It always has kind of bugged me when people submit a figure they made a few years ago in any customizing challenges just because it fits the theme. For me the entire fun of the custom challenges/contests is making a new figure. That really is the point of having these anyways. While it is fun to show off old customs, only new figures will be eligible to win any prizes.

We have decided to drop this little caveat. If you have any old figures that fit the theme and you feel you'd like to enter, by all means submit them. Enter as many figures as you want, but remember each participant is only eligible to win in one category per contest.

We've had a few great entries submitted via PM so far. Keep 'em coming! :)
« Last Edit: October 3, 2009, 04:42 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: October 3, 2009, 04:25 AM »
I'll second the promo here too...

I can't enter, but it's a shot at freebies so get your figure in.  Paul is really doing this just to give some stuff away and get people involved.  Give it a go folks!  Hell, half of you probably already have one of those figures on the list sitting in your coffer already.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline darth_sidious

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 3, 2009, 07:54 PM »

We've had a few great entries submitted via PM so far. Keep 'em coming! :)

I'm in - PM sent with my submission. :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 03:30 PM by darth_sidious »

Offline QUANTUM 7

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • figurerelam.com
« Reply #20 on: October 4, 2009, 04:23 PM »
I AM IN...........

Hey gang,

I am new here. I have been a long time fan of the site and I am very happy to be a part of the community now. I look forward to sharing my custom Star Wars action figure work with everyone. I have seen SO many awesome customs here and I'm excited to get to show some of mine...

Thanks for letting me be a part of this Killer site!!!

QUANTUM 7
QUANTUM  7 customs

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: October 5, 2009, 03:01 AM »
Welcome aboard QUANTUM7, and I'm anxious to see which figure you're entering.  I'm anxious to see everyone's figs they've entered, actually. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 5, 2009, 04:15 PM »
Well, a very important part of my Sim Aloo custom arrived last week, so he's currently in progress! 8)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 5, 2009, 05:23 PM »
I'm in.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 06:08 PM »
Ok, I'm in. Because the "new figure" rule has been cancelled, I'm currently ready to paint one of my WIPs from earlier this year.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 06:17 PM »
Question: any specifics concerning the pictures? Should the custom be photographed in front of a neutral background? Two pics is the limit (no problem), any specific poses, i.e. one 'neutral' pose and one 'action' pose (for the SA customs, for instance)?

Offline darth_sidious

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2009, 08:34 PM »
Well, a very important part of my Sim Aloo custom arrived last week, so he's currently in progress! 8)

I'm looking forward to seeing how your Sim Aloo turns out - he's definately a figure I want Hasbro to get to.  Its too bad Ackmena didnt make the top 30 list!  :P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 03:44 AM »
Question: any specifics concerning the pictures? Should the custom be photographed in front of a neutral background? Two pics is the limit (no problem), any specific poses, i.e. one 'neutral' pose and one 'action' pose (for the SA customs, for instance)?

There aren't any specifics to what your pictures have to look like. The only real rule is that the figure can not be photoshoped at all. You can add a glowing lightsaber blade or something but you can't digitally alter the figure in any way.

Do keep in mind though that good photography always makes your figure look its best, and that may help swing a few more votes your way.
"This is the way."

Offline darth_sidious

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2009, 06:28 PM »
With only a couple weeks left, I'm really excited to see all the customs people came up with - hopefully our customs will inspire Hasbro to make the figures themselves!  ;)

Offline tonphanan

• Jedi Initiate
  • " Has anyone seen my wits?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 12:04 PM »
Here are my WIP pics

Throw an Ewok at him