Author Topic: 'Star Wars' in 3-D?  (Read 50560 times)

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
Re: 'Star Wars' in 3-D?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 01:08 PM »
well maybe in two years' time they will have come up with better '3D glasses'; I wear regular glasses as well and hope it doesn't hinder the 3D effect. Just imagine jar jar's tongue in 3D LOL.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 02:31 PM »
I could see Palpy's force lightning in RotS when he takes down Mace in 3D.

I just hope that they don't tinker with the movies by adding things that were never there just to have 3-D in there.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 02:38 PM »
Maybe they'll put in one or two of the OT deleted scenes?  Or is that too much to hope for/sacreligious for the OT purists?
I am not the Stig

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 02:44 PM »
About the only thing I am excited about is my boys getting a chance to see them all on the big screen.  I won't let them watch ROTS yet...they'll be 10 and 8 in 2012...they should be getting close to able to when ROTS3D comes out.

Who else expect even further "tweaks" ::)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 03:29 PM »
I'm sorta excited I guess...  Like Brian said, I like seeing them on the big screen, and this is new and interesting to me, to see them in 3D.  Then again I've never seen a 3-D film.

So I'm definitely interested, and I'll go see all 6.  I don't know that I'll make an event out of it like premieres were, but I'll go happily.  Then again I tend to enjoy all 6 movies for one reason or another.  It'll be a painful wait for the OT though, since that's what I really want to see.

I could imagine more tweaks too...  Good and bad.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 03:38 PM »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 03:04 AM »
I'm excited, just to enjoy SW on the big screen again.  And now I can enjoy it with my kids!

I'm rather indifferent to the 3D aspect of things, I just want to see Vader enter the Rebel Blockade Runner in life size again. 8)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 03:07 AM »
Exactly...  3-D or no, I'm geeked to once again see the Tantive IV streak over my head again, then followed by the massive Destroyer following it.  I'm geeked to just have Star Wars in a theater again...  all 6 of them really will appeal to me in some capacity.

If the 3-D is cool though, then bonus points.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 10:32 AM »
I was just just reading some reactions over at IGN as well, and it seems similar to here - sort of mixed to "meh".  Like I said, I've personally never seen a 3D movie - and those who have seem to say the ones that are converted later aren't anything too great.  That said, for all of Lucas' detractors, you can't say the guy skimps on the tech side of things.  I'm sure it will look as good as it possibly can, at least for that time.

Like we've discussed here already, I'm excited just for the fact that they'll be in theaters again.  Heck, I think I'd be about as excited if they were just doing a straight re-release (even if it was just the OT).  Like Jesse said, to experience the Trilogy (or the Saga) on the big screen again is spiffy enough.  Although I can see why they are starting with TPM, it makes you wonder if they shouldn't have started with the OT.  That's likely what everyone is "waiting for" the most anyways, and who knows what will change/advance in movie viewing in the time following TPM's re-release.  It is sort of funny to see such a lukewarm reaction to news that has been talked about for so long now.  I don't know if it is the general apathy towards 3D in general (likely), or if it is just people not caring about Star Wars as much anymore.  Like I said, I'll be there - likely for all of them - but I would be if they were just doing straight re-releases as well.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 12:27 PM »
I'm certainly not in the camp of being excited about this.  I've yet to see a 3-D movie I wouldn't be perfectly content to watch in 2-D. 

By the time these roll out in 3-D they'll be charging over 20 bucks to see a movie and I'll have my home theater finished in my basement.  So I'm supposed to drop that much money just to have some jackass talk the whole way through the movie (seems to be a given in any movie these days)?  No thanks. 

I hate the glasses with a passion and find 3-D TV to be an utterly retarded concept.  Get the hell out of the house and get some exercise for heaven's sake. 

Can't see myself spending the money to go see the PT.  I could see myself going to Star Wars and ESB just because I'm a fool but doubt I'd go see Jedi. 

3-D strikes me as a fad still, just like it was back in the 1950s.  Certainly the technology is waaaaaaaaaay better but I ain't digging it. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline dave in the basement

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 02:57 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing 3-6 on the big screen again, but I am only going to 1&2 if my son drags me there.  Which he is very likely to do.

By the time they get to ANH, Greedo probably won't even be packing.   >:D

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #26 on: October 2, 2010, 01:48 PM »
A couple of articles said there wouldn't be any tweaking to the movies. Just a conversion to 3D. I hope that isn't true. Since so much of the prequels was filmed with the actors in front of a green screen, couldn't ILM completely redo a lot of the CGI. Perhaps even film it in true 3D and HD like Avatar? I think AOTC lends itself the most to this treatment. The arena scene, in my opinion only, is probably the weakest looking "set" in all 6 movies.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 09:32 PM »
I bet we will see the Yoda puppet in Ep1 replaced with CG. They've already shown that footage during Star Wars in Concert.

Muppet or CGI?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 09:36 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 5, 2010, 06:01 PM »
By the time they get to ANH, Greedo probably won't even be packing.   >:D

Nope - they're going to digitally replace his gun with a flower and change the translations to him being an intergalactic hippie who wants Han to join his commune. Then he's going to smoke a blunt and pass out in the smoke, spilling Han's drink. From there the movie will pick up as usual. Han will feel bad about the mess the hippie Rodian made and pass Wuher the credits and still apologize for the mess....

:-\

A couple of articles said there wouldn't be any tweaking to the movies. Just a conversion to 3D. I hope that isn't true. Since so much of the prequels was filmed with the actors in front of a green screen, couldn't ILM completely redo a lot of the CGI. Perhaps even film it in true 3D and HD like Avatar? I think AOTC lends itself the most to this treatment. The arena scene, in my opinion only, is probably the weakest looking "set" in all 6 movies.

Well, I for one hope this isn't true. Having the movies in 3D isn't enough of a draw to get me to go to the theater again. There better be something "new" about all six movies to make it worth checking them out. Like putting some of the deleted scenes back in or finishing up scenes that they started to film but abandoned due to problems - like the Wampa attack on Echo Base, etc...

« Last Edit: November 5, 2010, 06:03 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 3, 2011, 02:10 PM »
Phantom Menace now has an official release date of February 10th, 2012.  I would guess we'd see each additional movie around the same timeframe each year then.