Author Topic: Vintage 3.75" ARAH Figures  (Read 16989 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Vintage 3.75" ARAH Figures
« on: March 4, 2010, 07:33 PM »
Figured this new area needs some attention.  I had tons of Joes as a kid, but stopped collecting in 88-89 as Joe stuff started getting strange and I was getting more into girls.  I had all my Joes stored until 96 or so when I finally decided that I didn't need to hold onto these things anymore so I sold off about 200+ vinty figs for $100 and was happy to be rid of them since I had no interest.

Come 00 after TPM was released - I started collecting SW figs again and got hooked on the Joe TRU reissue 2 packs, but ultimately clipped them in 03 as I only wanted to focus on modern SW and vinty TF only.

The return of the 25th Anniversary stuff totally hit the nostalgia bug in me and I've been hooked on them eversince.  1 carded and 1 loose...That got expensive, but luckily/unfortunately that line didn't last too long.  One of my local SW buds decided to sell off his vintage collection late last year and I've been picking up chunks eversince August of 09.  Thanks Stevey!  

I remember laughing at the comparisons of vinty to 25th.  These things were truly toys!  Was difficult to get them to hold there weapons (with fear of breaking off thumbs) and all of the recent broken o-rings and t/j bars I've been dealing with.  These things are really out of proporation with the 25th stuff, but I grew up with these things and they were my life for a good portion of my childhood.  What a trip!  Haven't seen these guys in almost 15 years.

Good times..
« Last Edit: June 6, 2010, 03:37 PM by Jeff »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
Re: ARAH figures
« Reply #1 on: March 4, 2010, 09:52 PM »
It's never too late for ARAH toys. 

Be careful.  Once you repurchase all the stuff you had as a kid then you may expand from there.  That's what happened to me. 

Starting in 2001 I began buying the 1982-1986 toys that I had as a kid and sold off in 1988.  Then once that was complete I started army building.  Then while army building  I decided to buy the 1987-1992 toys that I didn't have and army building some of those as well.  I didn't have to buy 1993-2001 because I already had those but I did army build some of them. 

Finally, I started to go to Joecon starting in 2005 and buying those sets, older sets and other Club exclusives.  I even took it one step further and started buying foreign Joes.

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
VIntage G.I.Joe action figure identification question
« Reply #2 on: June 6, 2010, 07:24 AM »
Hi there,Found one of the characters I had in my childhood collection on AU ebay and bid and won - yay!

The character I had was 'Mercer' however in the auction I won there's two others who I never did have and wondered if any members here could assist me in identifying them:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330438435933&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

(or... if there's a site out there for reference that anyone knows of either that'd be great help and much appreciated)
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: VIntage G.I.Joe action figure identification question
« Reply #3 on: June 6, 2010, 10:29 AM »
That is Red Dog and Taurus.

The other 2 members of Sgt Slaughter's Renegades.

http://yojoe.com/action/87/87card/slaughtersrenegades.jpg

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
Re: VIntage G.I.Joe action figure identification question
« Reply #4 on: June 6, 2010, 12:04 PM »
oh wow! Thanks heaps Paul  ;D ;D ;D
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Vintage 3.75" ARAH Figures
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 03:55 AM »
Received a v1 Shipwreck today. It only took me 25 years to acquire one, and man, am I glad to have it.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 02:57 AM »
Here are some of favorite army builders.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:58 AM by spiderpumpkin »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 09:54 PM »
Wow. Them's a lot of Stardusters. All yours? If so, nice.

Went to Chicago Comic Con and Quake in Lincoln Square this weekend. My haul:

SDCC Sgt. Slaughter (original deco)
vintage Duke, complete
vintage Lift-Ticket, needs microphone but was too good to pass up
vintage Range Viper, complete with FC
vintage MOTU Modulok, complete.
25th Bazooka Trooper

I could have spent thousands at both places if I had it. But then comes the trouble of getting them back to the hotel on the train...

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 06:47 PM »
Wow. Them's a lot of Stardusters. All yours? If so, nice.

Went to Chicago Comic Con and Quake in Lincoln Square this weekend....

Yes, all those Stardusters are in my collection.  Right now I have 2x version 1, 1x version 2 and the rest are version 3.  Two version 3 are incomplete but the rest are complete.  All of the Steel Brigades are complete except for one.  I saw a backpack on ebay the other day but missed it unfortunately. 

What is Quake in Lincoln Square? 

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 07:02 PM »
Just Googled that Quake store and I drove right by it back in April according to where it's located on the map.  May swing by there this fall if I go to Chicago.  Do they have a lot of loose complete ARAH toys?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:03 PM by spiderpumpkin »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 08:07 PM »
I'll let Ben describe Quake  :o but they do have A LOT.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 01:49 AM »
Yeah, it's kind of like that show American Pickers. A couple hundred square feet stocked full of completely random toys, some loose, some carded. There's an absolutely incredible selection there. There was a Terror Drome for sale that had seen better days, but was nonetheless tempting. Hundreds of loose figures, so you have to dig through them to find something. I do wish I'd have asked how much this MOTU Slime Pit with box was now, since I've been thinking about it ever since.
There weren't many complete ARAH figures. I was kind of disappointed about that. I bought Duke, Lift Ticket, and Modulok there, and IIRC, Duke was probably the only 100% complete ARAH figure in the store at that time. It was better the last time I was there, about a year ago. I'm sure the stock changes all the time.

And the owner is really cool; willing to deal. And the prices on things were fair for everybody. I recommend checking it out when/if you're in Chicago.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 01:52 AM by inadvertent imitation »

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 10:54 AM »
Cool - I have never heard of that store.  I just live a hop skip and a jump away in South Bend, Indiana.  I may have to check that out the next time I head that way.

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 07:32 PM »
I sure wish they would have shipped these tanks by Thanksgiving in 2007.  Unfortunately the Maulers were canceled.  Really wish Hasbro would make new molds for the missing turret so they can be released someday. 

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 07:46 PM »
Wow - nice repaints!  I sure hope we continue to see vintage stuff sprinkled in from time to time that's not too overly butchered, not to mention 25th figure throwbacks like Lowlight.  Would like to know if we'd see a few more nods before the new movie stuff hits.  I dig that Steeler's visor/helmet dealeo.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN