Author Topic: SDCC 2010  (Read 26300 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
SDCC 2010
« on: June 30, 2010, 04:22 PM »
So...SDCC is less than a month away and this guy is excited to see some new toys.  It will be interesting between this and CV what gets revealed at which Convention.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC 2010
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 04:48 PM »
Yeah, at the rate we're going, I wonder if they'll have anything noteworthy left to "reveal" by then...LOL.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 07:11 PM »
I'm geeked to see new stuff too...  Something we've not seen, like 2011 products, which will show eventually.  Always like SDCC, though my attending is not likely to happen ever.  ;D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jono

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 1, 2010, 07:34 AM »
I don't know if we will see anything  vintage passed the Jedi wave( if that).

Most of it is being saved for Celebration.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 1, 2010, 11:59 AM »
Most of it is being saved for Celebration.

Yeah, I wouldn't count on that.  Hasbro, and other companies, consider (rightfully so) SDCC the pinnacle of geek and save a lot of news for that event, even at the loss for an event like Celebration.  I always assumed that a dedicated Star Wars event would be better to unveil stuff, or save the cool exclusive for, but we've seen before that that's not necessarily the case.

I would assume that by the time both SDCC and CV arrive we will have seen leaks for most of the product they've been saving for the shows.  Like Jabba, according to Hasbro, was for a CV showing, but we've seen in-hand pics already.  They may be able to spring a couple exclusive items on us (although, not the Slave I now) and maybe a figure or two, but mostly the reveals will be less exciting than most people want.

The slideshow presentations that Hasbro should have for both events may have some news for 2011 product that we haven't seen, but I would expect we'll know about or have seen most everything they physically bring to SDCC and CV.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 1, 2010, 12:14 PM »
Agreed.  At Toy Fair the word was that they were saving stuff for SDCC.... no reason to save stuff for Celebration, which is only for Star Wars geeks and press interested in Star Wars.

Comic Con gets MUCH more attention.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #6 on: July 1, 2010, 01:35 PM »
Yeah, at the rate we're going, I wonder if they'll have anything noteworthy left to "reveal" by then...LOL.

that's what I was think. Jabba and Slave One were supposed to be the big reveals. Outside of the Jedi/EP2 Waves,  Ultimate Battle Packs and unnamed EE Comic packs  I wonder what really is left to see.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: July 1, 2010, 01:37 PM »
At Toy Fair the word was that they were saving stuff for SDCC.... no reason to save stuff for Celebration

At Toy Fair they said they'd have new stuff to show at both SDCC and CV.  That is why Toy Fair was lacking since they had to save stuff for both shows.

My guess is SDCC gets us a look at the full line of Fall 2010 stuff and Celebration V is where they will tease the Spring 2011 stuff (instead of the presentation during SDCC like they usually do).
« Last Edit: July 1, 2010, 01:38 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #8 on: July 1, 2010, 02:00 PM »
Yeah, I agree that we've seen most of the interesting stuff.  Y'know, Hasbro really should get in control of their images.  One of the team should simply start a blog that updates whenever photos are ready.  While I do understand that many big companies move at a snail's pace, and everybit of copy might need to be signed off by a higher up, having a simple blog could help them control the flow of the images, and get the applause when the stuff is good. 

Instead, they always seem a bit late the the party.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: July 1, 2010, 03:08 PM »
Yeah, they definitely were holding for both shows...  I think Jeff's predictions are a pretty good bet, and that C5 will just have later stuff displayed, which we'll wind up seeing at Toy Fair next year with the early part of 2011's stuff.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 1, 2010, 03:43 PM »
Yeah, I agree that we've seen most of the interesting stuff.  Y'know, Hasbro really should get in control of their images.

Maybe they secretly like the leaks...

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #11 on: July 1, 2010, 06:35 PM »

Maybe they secretly like the leaks...

Oh!  Of course they do.  We do all of the work for them.  I just wish that they'd acknowledge that we've seen the stuff early, and that it's not wrong for us to do so.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 2, 2010, 12:59 AM »
At Toy Fair the word was that they were saving stuff for SDCC.... no reason to save stuff for Celebration

At Toy Fair they said they'd have new stuff to show at both SDCC and CV.  That is why Toy Fair was lacking since they had to save stuff for both shows.

My guess is SDCC gets us a look at the full line of Fall 2010 stuff and Celebration V is where they will tease the Spring 2011 stuff (instead of the presentation during SDCC like they usually do).

I'm not so sure about that.  There have been some feelers put out about what sites are sending staff to which events this summer.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 2, 2010, 01:10 AM »
My prediction is that the Fall 2010 product will be in cabinets for SDCC, but during the presentation, 2011 product will be teased.

Then during C5, there will be the actual 2011 product test shots to look at.

So both shows get SOMETHING - SDCC gets the announcement which makes sense 'cause it's the best venue to support that kind of thing, and then C5 lets the predominantly Star Wars audience actually view the product in person.

From a marketing perspective, it makes the most sense.
« Last Edit: July 2, 2010, 01:10 AM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #14 on: July 2, 2010, 10:53 AM »
From a marketing perspective it also makes sense to release new prodcut all year long, without 3 month dry spells.