Author Topic: Tron: Legacy  (Read 10420 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Tron: Legacy
« on: July 23, 2010, 07:16 PM »
Not sure if this had its own thread already or not, but the first full trailer was shown at SDCC, and is on Yahoo Movies.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Tron: Legacy
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 09:44 PM »
OMG   ;D

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 01:47 PM »
Old Flynn and young Flynn!!! I hope this does as well as I think.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:24 AM »
This is gonna tank.  Tron is not familiar enough with most people to make it popular.  Hell, I saw the original twice in the theater, played the games, and had the figures, but the film was so dull that I don't even remember the story.

This will be "Watchmen" all over again.  A huge opening, fan driven weekend, and then a huge drop off and eventual flop.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 12:08 PM »
I never saw the original in the theater, but caught it on some movie channel a few months ago and was like WTF happened?  The story was boring and the action was honestly really, really slow.  Not to mention the super cheesy special effects.   But I'm not going to bag those simply because it was the early 80's and a completely new technology.

I agree that the fan base for this movie probably isn't very big and could be a potential disaster.  But on the flip side, it could also be a sleeper hit...although I'm leaning more towards the former.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 12:51 PM »
For some reason I loved Tron as a kid and I too caught it on HD Movies a few weeks ago...man is it terrible.  The graphics for their day were totally ground breaking but are badly dated.  This new one looks OK.

Little known fact, Tron Guy lives a few miles away from me...not sure how he feels about the new Tron

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 01:48 PM »
I'm kind of in the same boat as the rest of you. I remember thinking it was pretty cool as a kid as well, and wanting the toys (had a friend that had some) - but I also re-watched it within the past couple years and thought it was pretty boring.  The new version's trailer looks spiffy, hopefully the movie will be as well.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 02:58 PM »
Little known fact, Tron Guy lives a few miles away from me...not sure how he feels about the new Tron

You should go over and ask him.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 10:37 PM »
I don't even remember the story, that's how lame it is.  Did Flynn get out if the computer at the end?  And the technology should have nothing to do with the story.  Maybe I would have better memories of that film if it hadn't come out in the mighty summer of 1982...

ET
Poltergiest
Blade Runner
Wrath of Kahn
Conan the Barbarian

and my personal fave...

The Road Warrior

Jeezus, what a great year to be a geek!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 02:43 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 5, 2010, 02:14 PM »
I've been debating about answering this one but I've got say, Tron is one of my favorite movies of all time! Its the reason I choose to become a software developer. It was my first look at how and were programmers work. I use to live in the local arcade that looked a lot like Flynn's in the movie. I would love to see that kind of arcade return someday. Also, this is the only movie that does a great job at using video games as a subject. Video games have been made into movies but the subject of video games in general has been very rarely used. The Fred Savage movie "The Wizard" sucked. This is also the first movie to use CG heavily thoughout the move. It paved the way for the effect used in "The Last Starfighter" and eventually "Toy Story". Sure the CG can be done in about a week by one programmer but that goes to show how far we've come. Most of the CG in that movie wasn't even CG. It was handdrawn animation but it flows so nicely into this unique environment. It's really something we never saw before. The story has some neat ideas about programs looking like their creators and a kind of religious aspect the Programs have. The Users are considered gods because they created the Programs. The Users sent in Programs to take down the OS. This is a total precursor of viruses and malware. Its very forward thinking. Granted the story isn't action oriented and can be slow at times but so is the first half of Star Wars. Besides it is made up by Cindy Morgan in a skin tight outfit! Finally, the only reason this movie is being made is because of the huge fan reaction from ComicCon. If this does well, Disney will do more viral marketing like this. I'm hoping it does since there is a promise of a huge E-ticket Tron ride at Disneyland to fix it's crappy Tomorrowland.  
« Last Edit: August 5, 2010, 02:15 PM by Master_Phruby »

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 6, 2010, 10:12 AM »

and my personal fave...

The Road Warrior

Jeezus, what a great year to be a geek!

I finally got around to watching the Road Warrior a few weeks ago.  I just plain old didn't get the appeal.  It was ok....but not great. 
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 6, 2010, 11:13 AM »
Me too. I liked Beyond Thunderdome the best.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 9, 2010, 02:27 PM »
New Trailer is up for Tron: Legacy.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 9, 2010, 03:09 PM »
Um...wow.  That's a completely different story direction than I expected from the initial teasers.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 9, 2010, 04:30 PM »
Great new trailer. As I remember, the plot is suppost to be like Conrad's Heart of Darkness.