Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 556336 times)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #960 on: October 22, 2013, 02:34 PM »
The two actions are essentially in direct opposition to each other. The idea with the rats seems to be to get the walkers in and make things crazy dangerous, whereas killing Karen and the other guy is more like a preemptive mood to STOP things from getting crazy dangerous if they were in fact to turn. (Although since they were already locked up maybe the fear was that they would somehow end up exposing more people)

I didn't interpret it that way - I just assumed they were burned after they died to help stop the spread of the virus.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #961 on: October 22, 2013, 05:42 PM »
Hah @ Scockery

I am thinking maybe carol killed Karen and Decatur David (we hardly knew ya).  It's just a guess because she's so hyper aggressive at the moment.  Putting Daryl and Tyrese against one another would be an interesting story dynamic too...  Like Daryl all you want, but he's a dude riding a Harley with SS runes on the tank.

I felt worse about the pigs dying.

I think I liked seeing the girls dad die because it kept with the Zombieland theme that fatties won't survive the zombie apocalypse. (Do your cardio).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: October 22, 2013, 05:59 PM »
I feel like it was Sasha that killed Karen. Can't prove of course.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #963 on: October 22, 2013, 06:32 PM »
A good choice....  She maybe was being defensive of Tyrese...  Noticeably absent from the episode as well.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #964 on: October 22, 2013, 06:53 PM »
I think the rat feeder is probably just sadistic, not trying to destroy the prison.  Might even be the daughter who's messed up and naming zombies.  "Does little Nicky want a snack?  Yes he does!  Nom nom nom nom."

I don't have a clue if the virus folks were preventatively murdered or disposed of post-death.  Seemed like a lot of blood on the pillow... but I suppose it could be from being attacked instead of from aspirating. 
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: October 22, 2013, 07:30 PM »
I read some theory that Karen is the culprit and faked her own death with the bracelet on the burnt body.

That's better than my spontaneously combusted theory.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #966 on: October 23, 2013, 01:32 AM »
Bursting into flames...  yet another threat.  Nice twist.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: October 23, 2013, 07:16 AM »
Still getting a kick out of this pic

http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #968 on: October 23, 2013, 07:27 PM »
Fox News: America's obsession with 'The Walking Dead' is hurting our society

By Dr. Manny Alvarez

Dr Manny's Notes
Published October 17, 2013
FoxNews.com

Is watching “The Walking Dead” seriously hurting American society?

I would argue ‘Yes.’  Hate me all you want, or call me paranoid and misinformed, but there is one common theme that is pervasive in American pop culture today: violence.  Even more specifically, zombie violence. The idea of a zombie-infested world inspires fantasies of monsters possessed by an uncontrollable rage to kill, and viewers get a thrill imagining what it would be like to participate in this new world order.

We also see this zombie obsession in many videogames.  Even more disturbingly, these games create environments for young children, in which they are exposed to an imaginary world where they get to play with firearms and place themselves in dangerous situations that they find exciting.  And studies have shown that these videogames can sometimes condition people, especially young children, to be apathetic towards violence.  That’s why they’re labeled M for Mature.

This obsession with the undead in television and other media is quite puzzling.  The concept of zombies has been around for decades, and their mythology has even been studied by scientists to prove that such an outbreak can never occur. Yet, whether it be in books or film, zombie popularity has only increased after having originally been popularized by the 1960s film, “The Night of the Living Dead.”

Now, it seems that zombies on television are part of our daily routine.  The obsession also permeates into other facets of our lives, such as with so-called Zombie Runs, in which people dressed as zombies chase other “civilians” to make them run faster towards the finish line.  Even scientists at the National Institutes of Health have spent time creating an apocalyptic how-to guide on dealing with a zombie outbreak.

Give me a break. As a doctor and scientist, I know one thing for sure: When you’re dead, you’re dead.  Our brains should be less focused on imaginary zombie hordes and more focused on harnessing the tools that we need in order to enhance our lives, whether it be music, education, science or the classics. Entertainment should help us soothe our brains so that we can ease our minds of some of the stress from our daily lives. 

With this country heading towards a socialized system of government, in which officials don’t want you to think or focus on what is important for your own personal growth, I’m sure they’re more than happy to let you obsess over something as stupid as zombies. 

And in turn, you ultimately become the zombie.

Wake up and smell the coffee.  Stop obsessing over eating brains, and focus on cultivating your own.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #969 on: October 23, 2013, 08:44 PM »
Hate me all you want, or call me paranoid and misinformed

It's ok, I already took your advice when I read where you work. :)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: October 23, 2013, 09:44 PM »
LOL, well said.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: October 24, 2013, 02:28 PM »
If you take TWD and change it for Keeping up with the Kwhorda$$hian$, then he'd have a point.  TWD isn't a huge deep drama, but it does have some social commentary. 

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: October 24, 2013, 05:54 PM »
What entertainment is there beside sex and violence?

Humour...some of that has sex and violence.

Gambling. That's healthier, right?

Drugs.

Watching other people play sports? *yawn* Some of those are violent. People get seriously injured in football. Maybe it's hurting American society.

Seriously, violence has been American entertainment for a long time. We don't have heroes shooting guns out of people's hands much anymore...though we still have one-punch knock-outs in pop culture.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #973 on: October 24, 2013, 07:14 PM »
I would disagree that TWD isn't a thinking series...  I think the fact that the series setting in a zombie apocalypse is widely regarded as nothing but secondary to the story's character development is a direct contradiction to that view of the series...  It's maybe not THE deepest TV show and/or dramatic story told in history, but I think it's a very intellectual and well written show...  Gratuitous violence doesn't diminish that.

You could take the zombies out, and make it some other dramatic situation which the characters are in, and it would be just as good...  People fixate on the zombies and the gore a little too much I think.  You could center it around a major historical event like the World War I or the Fall of Rome, and get similar results I think.

I've always said it, but the zombies are really just secondary...  they're like the weather.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: October 25, 2013, 09:47 AM »
I completely agree, Jesse.  The zombies are a conceit to examine what could happen when societal structures fall apart.  I always get a kick out of the gore, but the character moments are what keep me watching.