Author Topic: The Hobbit - Toy Line  (Read 140131 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Hobbit - Toy Line
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2012, 03:52 PM »
That is...  wow...  :(  Guess they're being cautious.  Or their abilities are limited compared to a Hasbro, obviously, and they're not able to crank out a lot steadily.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 2, 2012, 02:05 PM »
I did not collect during the Toy Biz LOTR era.  I had a question about the Treebeard figure from that line and how it might compare scale-wise to this line.  I see on ebay there were 2 versions of him, a 7 inch and a 15 inch. 

Which version would be more accurate to this line?  Can anyone post pics of either Treebeards with figures from this line on him?  I guess preferably putting a Bilbo figure on him might be the best for a comparison.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 2, 2012, 02:20 PM »
I did not collect during the Toy Biz LOTR era.  I had a question about the Treebeard figure from that line and how it might compare scale-wise to this line.  I see on ebay there were 2 versions of him, a 7 inch and a 15 inch. 

Which version would be more accurate to this line?  Can anyone post pics of either Treebeards with figures from this line on him?  I guess preferably putting a Bilbo figure on him might be the best for a comparison.

I'm guessing the 15-inch might be better, since the ents appeared to be huge in the movies. Unfortunately I don't have either figure so I can't really help you out.

Anyway, I picked up my first two figures from the line: Gandalf and Grinnah. Great figures all around, though a bit expensive. The crappy part though, is that I'm hooked. I plan to pick up the rest of the line over the next few weeks, and hopefully catch some sales along the way. Hopefully the line doesn't get scrapped before all 13 dwarves get made.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 2, 2012, 02:37 PM »
I just went to TRU.com and they still have most of this line in stock.

If you get:

Fimbul/Worg
Gandalf/Bolg
Bilbo/Gollum
Thorin/Goblin King
Kili/Fili
Single Carded Gandalf - to return later with your original purchases receipt

you would be at $107.94 putting you close to $125.  If you spend $125 you get 20% off the entire order plus free shipping.  The only figures you would need to track down would be Dwalin/Balin and Legolas/Tauriel - both of these are not available at this time.  Legolas is available right now if you don't care about Tauriel.

also, I still have a real hard time believing we wont see a wave 2 until summer, but I guess they would have no reason to lie now, would they?  Just seems so odd with figures like Yazneg and Invisble Bilbo popping up.

Perhaps even The Bridge Direct was caught off guard when Jackson made the change from 2 movies to three?  Maybe The Bridge Direct intended to release more, sooner, but were caught off guard and now are having to "stretch" things out?
« Last Edit: November 2, 2012, 02:44 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 2, 2012, 02:46 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up shmash. My local store had Dwalin/Balin and Legolas/Tauriel, so I could get them in-store... online for the rest wouldn't be bad, since a Star Wars Speeder Bike gets me to the $125 limit.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 6, 2012, 02:51 PM »
can anyone help me out that has more knowledge about the Toy Biz line?  i.e.  Are there any other figures/beasts that are in scale with this new, The Hobbit, line?

I am going to post this in the LOTR line thread in case anyone that just looks over there can help.

So far I am thinking:

15 inch treebeard
shelob
fellowship cave troll?  other big trolls?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #156 on: November 6, 2012, 02:55 PM »
Are you talking about being in-scale with the 3.75" or the 6" scale?

If 6" scale, they're all pretty much in line with the new 6" scale obviously.  3.75" I'd say only Treebeard is (the big one) since he was a little underscaled for 6".  Shelob's probably a fair bit too big, and the Cave Troll and Battle Troll are both far too big to be in-scale with 3.75".  They're accurate for 6" scale.

There's not much you can crossover accurately.... 

There's the Sauron figure might be a little more accurate to 3.75" scale figures, but he's probably still too small.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 6, 2012, 03:01 PM »
yeah, I meant the 4 inch line.

I will look into that Sauron

Thanks Jesse

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 6, 2012, 03:08 PM »
On the LOTR wiki it says Sauron was 9 feet tall.  The LOTR Sauron was either 10 inches or 11 inches tall based on what I am finding.  Wouldn't that make him pretty out of scale with 4 inch figures?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #159 on: November 6, 2012, 03:14 PM »
I don't have him to recall how big a figure he was, but 10 or 11 inches puts him pretty in-scale with the 6" line.

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 9, 2012, 12:40 PM »
any idea if this company plans on doing all 13 of the Dwarves?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 9, 2012, 01:25 PM »
Do any images exist of Sauron without his helmet? WTF is he supposed to be? I mean, in corporeal form...

I read all that junk about him and Morgoth in the Silmarillion, but it has been years and I can't even remember anymore.

I can't wait to see how freaking huge Smaug is gonna be!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 9, 2012, 02:32 PM »
any idea if this company plans on doing all 13 of the Dwarves?

nothing definite at this point, though I would imagine that we will over the course of the trilogy.  The Bridge Direct really is spreading things out though - we won't be seeing wave 2 until "summer 2013".

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2012, 11:07 AM »
You know, I dont even know if I buy that. I mean I know they said it, but do the even realize what a huge phenomenon this film is going to be for some people? If they do wait until summer for a second wave, they will be leaving a lot of money and possible moved product on the table. In Fact, I bet they could round out all the dwarves, mains from the hobbit BY summer without much issue, and then mix LOTR people into waves throughout the time until the next film drops. I know I woul dbuy it all.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #164 on: November 26, 2012, 09:17 PM »
Saw a big display of these in the middle of the aisle at K-Mart today. That's the first I've heard them being found anywhere other than TRU, which seems kinda late to the party for all the other retailers.