Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread  (Read 101213 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread
« Reply #240 on: January 28, 2013, 06:28 AM »
As this arc goes on Maul is coming across as a much more complex and fleshed out character. His manipulation of the various factions has been very deft, and he's showing himself to be much more the Master to Savage Opress's apprentice.  And his fight with Pre Viszla?  It was one of the best moments of the season, if not one of the best duels of the series.  Viszla armed with his dark saber as well as the Mandalorian armor against an agile Force wielding Sith with a lightsaber made for some of the best combat we've seen in the series.  And you have to appreciate that Maul was struggling somewhat since he seems to be getting accustomed to the cybernetic legs that the Death Watch gave him.

Where does this all go?  Well, the season trailer with Sidious has to give you some indication that things are going to get more .... complicated.  And there's also the matter of Obi-Wan getting involved in the conflict, which we also saw in the early trailers.  I have to suspect that he may join forces with Bo Katan's faction in an attempt to restore Satine to power.

But the most interesting thing about this Maul/Savage/Death Watch arc?  We're getting into characters whose future doesn't have the level of certainty of the mainstays like Anakin, Obi-Wan, Padme, Yoda, etc.  We all know that those characters survive the Clone Wars to make it to the events of Episode III.  With the characters in the past couple of episodes we just don't know how things will shake out, and for me that makes for a much more compelling storyline.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:33 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 28, 2013, 11:49 AM »
I know a lot of this Maul/Mando stuff reeks of fan service, but I have to say I've been enjoying it quite a bit.  It may be the fact that the majority of this season has been kind of boring, so it seems like we're going 0 to 60 now with this new arc, but this show has been "fun" to watch, which has been a lot more rare in the last couple seasons.  Looking forward to next week's episode, and like my daughter said "hopefully we'll see some good guys too".  :)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 28, 2013, 12:15 PM »
That was a pretty sweet duel, no doubt, but I don't see why Maul just didn't just force choke him or whatever. Not good theatre I guess.

Certainly not honorable combat. Maul knew his opponent and his goal. Maul had to best Vizla to win leadership of Death Watch. Force choke Vizla to death and everyone in the room is gonna start shooting at Maul.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 28, 2013, 01:18 PM »
Yeah, good stuff... and I agree that they should have ditched that terrible Void/Garcon (whatever his name is, I don't care enough to look it up) arc and given this arc a few more episodes. I feel like that Maul/Vizla duel should have come after like 3 episodes of those two plotting behind each other's backs and trying to one-up the other.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #244 on: January 30, 2013, 03:27 PM »
"Lawless" Preview #1 and #2
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:27 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #245 on: January 30, 2013, 03:37 PM »
Obi looks to have some good moments.  Nice to see the ship is around, if not a little FUBAR.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #246 on: January 31, 2013, 12:42 AM »
I was watching an episode and the Black Sun was in it. Completely awesome! Wish they would do a Shadows of the Empire series.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #247 on: January 31, 2013, 01:49 PM »
The last 2 episodes have been fantastic.  As a fan o th EU, these stories really help,and tie in nicely.

A lot of folks found the Pacifst Mandalores a bit off...th last 2 episodes certainly help bring this back around.   The Maul/Pre Visla fight was as epic as you can probbly get for a TV cartoon series.  Lots to like with these 2 episodes...they both have me wanting more. Mot f the episodes have been either hit or miss for me  (probably as many hits as misses) but the last 2 epsiodes are what I've longed for.

Good stuff!

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #248 on: February 2, 2013, 10:12 AM »
Mind blown after today's episode.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #249 on: February 2, 2013, 10:15 AM »
SPOILERS

So I happened to be up early today and caught this live. Is the end of the arc? Not sure. If so, a mystifying one.  A lot - A LOT - of build up to have it all come apart so quickly. I knew Satine was doomed from the start of this arc, but her death ultimately has no impact. Obi Wan actually achieves his greatest victory over Maul before Maul kills her, when he explains his strength and Maul's weakness. Satine's death doesn't change that, it actually only reinforces it. To have Daddy come home at the end of the episode and ground the kids for being bad erases everything Maul was doing. This confrontation was inevitable, but should have come much later - how fantastic would it have been to have followed Maul as he rivaled the Sith, confronted Dooku, and ultimately his master?

Again, there were more toys we'll never see.

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #250 on: February 2, 2013, 12:15 PM »
My only complaints are that the force powers slid into superhero territory. Elevating and choking seemed go be pushing it.

My only other complaint is that this storyline could have taken up well over six episodes. Great stuff but rushed.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 2, 2013, 02:28 PM »
While entertaining, I think it misfired.

Complaints:

1. Bo Katan as Satine's sister....unnecessary and rang false...she was part of a group plotting her sister's death? Estranged relations, indeed.

2. Maul begging for mercy. A. he should know better, as he was Sidious pupil. B. it doesn't fit/borderline character assassination...I guess it does make Pre Vizla twice the man Maul is.

3. Sidious sparing Maul. He insisted Dooku off Ventress, she was too strong in the dark side. Sidious plays by his own rules, though. The Rule of Two is for his own protection. I guess we will find out his plans for Maul.

4. Yes, about the force ability, Sidious used telekinesis a lot. Maul and Opress didn't at all.

5. What was the scene about Palpatine requesting a shuttle? That went no where.  ;)

6. How did Sidious know what was going on? Spies. Sure. Magical force sense that operates at key moments? Uh...

7. Kenobi saying Maul was forced to be evil...a tad of a leap, better applied to Savage Opress, whose origins he was more aware of.

8. Prime Minister ******bag is still alive.

9. THEY KILLED THE TWILIGHT! NOOOOOOO!!!

We also got Mas Amedda and Ki Adi Mundi cameos. Hoo-rah.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #252 on: February 2, 2013, 03:38 PM »
This arc is missing another episode, which given the four wasted on the droids thing, just makes me scratch my head, but whatever - Palpatine sensing the rise of Maul seems to needlessly rush the end of the arc. What should have happened is that after Satine's death, Obi-Wan reports the take over of Mandalore by Maul to the council and Senate. Since it's Sith related, the Jedi change their minds on an intervention. He and Anakin lead a task force back there to clean house. Obi-Wan struggles with some serious anger/grief and it would have paid to show him be a human being. At this point he's so detached that it's hard to even empathize with him.

Palpatine naturally becomes aware of the situation on Mandalore, and this is his reintroduction to Maul. I agree Maul's cowardice is completely out of character. I don't believe for a second that Maul would react this way. Nor do I believe Sidious would initally act on his own. He would send Dooku first, unless Palpatine legitimately feared Maul so much that he had to act. The clinic he ran on Maul and Oppress pretty much proves he had nothing to fear. If they had explored Palpatine's fear through the prism of Maul's miraculous survival - here is a Sith with extraordinary ability - then I could see it, but it's handled as if Palpatine is taking out the trash.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 2, 2013, 04:59 PM »
I agree about the length, though technically, the arc really was four episodes, they played the first part out of sequence as the season opener, since it was ambiguous enough in its ending to be a stand alone episode.  Remember we see Hondo's camp in ruins...the result of Separatist attack during the younglings arc. (In the rearranged airing order, the attack won't occur for 7 more episodes).

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 2, 2013, 05:37 PM »
The duel Sidious vs devil brothres was ok and gave relief to the audeince when killing Opress

I agree with a previous coment, it si possible maul further face Dooku, even Grievous, lol  :D ;D
But someone must kill Maul. Anakin in rage, Obi Wan in justice or Yoda as preventing Sith to reassemble in the near future.

About Satine, her murder only showed Maul more crazy than ruthless.... itīs a pity Maul hates cutties.

Remember a bit when Jabba kills Oola, but the Hutt was in lust t this moment

For Filoni... he lost a lot killing Satine

I can undesrtand his plot and commercial purposes but

Satine in love with Obi Wan, would have been positif as most powerful Jedis have married Kento Malek, Anakin, Luke in expanded universe.

So many seasons with Satine and what a waste Obi Wan didnīt kiss her in the cell when she hugged him or as a farewell

I think it wouldnīt have express weakness in Jedi, as Sith are identified with Hate and Jedi  with Love.

Jedi without belongings, but who was watching? So Obi said: "ok I am 36-37 and canīt kiss a girl because it is not politically correct as I am a Jedi Master"

Justice is up to Kenobi, indeed Jedi feel the need of vengeance too, but it is a war.

In conclusion to definetely kill Maul a Jedi must behead him or then slice him in two, this time not horizontally, but vertically
like when the Cid, Rodrigo Díaz de Vívar did with a Sarracen enemy.