Author Topic: SDCC 2012  (Read 42512 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC 2012
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2012, 09:52 AM »
Showing all this great new stuff for the SW line is all well and good, but having it in a display case is one thing; actually, you know, sending it to stores so people can buy it is another.  The only way I'm going to be excited about them is if Hasbro says, "Yeah, we're fully aware of how badly we've ****** up this year and we're going to fix it starting now" but, you know, that'll never happen in a million years.  ::)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2012, 10:05 AM »
Showing all this great new stuff for the SW line is all well and good, but having it in a display case is one thing; actually, you know, sending it to stores so people can buy it is another.  The only way I'm going to be excited about them is if Hasbro says, "Yeah, we're fully aware of how badly we've ****** up this year and we're going to fix it starting now" but, you know, that'll never happen in a million years.  ::)

You're so right. All I can think about is that shiny new Mando Transport they showed off so proudly in their display case last year. Who knew then that would turn out to be the Mother of all boondoggles?

The thing is, they've screwed up so badly to this point that I think the situation is now beyond their control to fix. For example, they have NO leverage to compell Walmart to "un-delete" that Class II SKU. That ship has sailed, and the Naboo Fighter is the toy that ends up paying the price. K-Marts are closing left and right, TRU is struggling badly and can't even seem to dump the SOTDS crud from last year. It's nice that they're getting some cool new exclusives, but the 3 stores around me have not stocked any TVC figures past Wave 1. EVER.

I just don't think, given Hasbro's track record and leading economic indicators, that the big box stores like Target and Walmart are going to get on board like they used to. The only thing I can see helping is some sort of "mass cull" by the Hasbro reps like they used to do, going store to store and pulling all that junk from the aisles, and then offering Wally and Target a sweet discount to load up up the new stuff.

Short of that, I don't see anything primed to break through the logjam.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2012, 11:13 AM »
They really need to start getting on board with making assortments and case-packs that are online friendly.

Figures need to be packed at 2+ of each new figure in the wave per case.

Vehicles - well the Naboo Fighter is the only NEW vehicle in the Class II assortment - they should be making available cases that are just 3x the Naboo Starfighter. That way, online retailers can easily offer for sale, just that vehicle.

Sure, go ahead and let them still sell a case of all three Wave 2 vehicles for someone who wants the repaints.

The days of catering to the "casual shopper" at the brick-and-mortar stores with mixed assortments are gone. Time for Hasbro to wake up to that fact. Start offering cases that collectors want to buy and save what collector base you still have, while you still can.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2012, 12:15 PM »
A another barely articulated Battle Droid that (explodes?) splits in two! (how many crappy new battle droid sculpts do the need?)

I kinda like the Battle Droid,but I know a lot of people may be sick of them.  To me it looks like the best tan Battle Droid since the ROTS one in 2005 - thought I know it's not very articulated.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2012, 02:10 PM »
I was bummed that Hasbro had barely any new items (what, two Movie Heroes?) in their displays last night. If I remember correctly from previous years, we would get to see a few new things on preview night and then the rest of the new stuff would be unveiled during the presentation. So far the best things shown during SDCC were mistakes (Luminara), absent from the actual show (new carded TVC images), or not meant to be seen (AT-ST and Ewok sets). 

A another barely articulated Battle Droid that (explodes?) splits in two! (how many crappy new battle droid sculpts do the need?)

I kinda like the Battle Droid,but I know a lot of people may be sick of them.  To me it looks like the best tan Battle Droid since the ROTS one in 2005 - thought I know it's not very articulated.

You aren't the only one who likes the Battle Droid! The sculpt looks great, and the exploding feature appears to be well done and somewhat sturdy. Knee and elbow articulation would be nice but it isn't a deal breaker. I'll take whatever variety I can get for my droid army.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2012, 03:11 PM »
Showing all this great new stuff for the SW line is all well and good, but having it in a display case is one thing; actually, you know, sending it to stores so people can buy it is another. 

Am I missing something?  I haven't seen hardly any new SW stuff yet.  A couple of 3 packs and a ton of product that we've already gotten is all I've seen so far.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2012, 03:37 PM »
You aren't the only one who likes the Battle Droid! The sculpt looks great, and the exploding feature appears to be well done and somewhat sturdy. Knee and elbow articulation would be nice but it isn't a deal breaker. I'll take whatever variety I can get for my droid army.

Good to hear!

I'd like to get around a dozen of these, for a specific scene.  Maybe standing in front of the MTT or something preparing to get blown to pieces by some clones or something. 

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2012, 04:23 PM »
wonder if these will be in scale?

(picture changed to a link since TNI does not allow hot-linking of images - Jeff)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:42 PM by Jeff »

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2012, 04:29 PM »
Am I missing something?  I haven't seen hardly any new SW stuff yet.  A couple of 3 packs and a ton of product that we've already gotten is all I've seen so far.

It was more of a general statement about displaying supposedly upcoming product at these shows than referring to anything specifically "new" being shown. My point being that, while displays are nice, the point of making products like these is to actually sell them, which Hasbro seems to not be too interested in this year, going by the state of retail.

Although, Rob, since I haven't seen anything past the single case one local Walmart got back in February, everything in that case is new to me (and a lot of other people, I'm sure, would agree).

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2012, 05:25 PM »
wonder if these will be in scale?

(picture changed to a link since TNI does not allow hot-linking of images - Jeff)

Link doesn't work?

What is it?

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:39 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2012, 06:01 PM »
I thought that at Toy Fair...

ET Wave 2

Those are 6" in the front...3-3/4" in the back?

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:04 PM by Scott »

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2012, 03:23 AM »
In that pic of the Ewok Walker jackers, under them it looks like a Tie Pilot, Anakin, Green AOTC Clone, a droid, and it looks like Pablo Jill.  I could be mistaken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2012, 08:28 AM »
So...who's live streaming the Hasbro presentation this morning/afternoon?

And is it 11am EST or PST?

TIA~

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2012, 09:51 AM »
The figures that were there were disappointing. My son was pretty geeked on the transformer stuff. He wanted to buy them. We spent alot of time over at the lego area. We made three landspeeders and about a dozen tiles for the board. Some of the card and dice games were fun. It was amazing the massive number of people there. We spent alot of time over in the vendor areas too. It was amazing how many vendors had the target three packs for at least $35. I didn't get the carbonite set from Hasbro. It seemed you needed a ticket to buy them but the tickets were gone by 8:30. Well that saved me $86. Someone wanted to scalp me a ticket for $20 though.  :P
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours