Author Topic: Superman - Man of Steel  (Read 24785 times)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Superman - Man of Steel
« Reply #105 on: July 8, 2013, 11:33 AM »
Zod:  "This can only end one way. Either you die, or....wait...two ways...this can only end two ways!  Ether you die, or I will."
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 8, 2013, 02:16 PM »
I saw the movie.  Generally, I liked it.  And that's due in large part to the fact that it was a complete departure from the Donner films, which I really think needed to happen in order for the Superman character to be able to grow.  Where Superman Returns failed (for me) is that it was a love-letter to the Donner films.  I'm glad for the re-boot.

Were there plot holes?  Absolutely.  I think they tried to write around them somewhat, especially with the atmosphere issues for the Kryptonians.  But that doesn't totally explain away Faora and the other Kryptonian's fighting abilities and powers in the battle in Kansas.

What I'm most shocked about?  All of the hate for the movie from a lot of the comic community.  From my own standpoint, I don't have a vested interest in maintaining this image of Superman like a complete boy scout.  Apparently that's a huge bone of contention for a lot of hardcore Superman fans.  I think what Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan were attempting to achieve was a look at how Superman might really have to conduct his life in this modern world.  And a big part of that includes how the real world would react to having a super-powered alien with almost God-like abilities living among them.  I think having Zod and the Kryptonians as the antagonists was a good way to proceed if the ultimate goal is to build this franchise and a universe where Superman isn't all-powerful.

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 8, 2013, 04:25 PM »
I was disappointed at the lack of phone booth wardrobe changes.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2013, 11:33 PM »
Man of Steel: How It Should Have Ended

Slight problem with that one.

The scout ship's signal meant that Zod would go there immediately after arriving.

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2013, 10:14 AM »
I was disappointed at the lack of phone booth wardrobe changes.

Probably due to the lack of phone booths. He just gets changed behind a towel at wifi hotspots now  :P
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:20 AM by Symposium »
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2013, 02:31 PM »
Thought I'd post this here since it is supposed to be on the Man of Steel Blu Ray next month.  This was apparently shown at NYCC, and is now online as well.  A short by Zack Snyder and Bruce Timm covering the 75 year history of Superman in a couple minutes, I thought it was pretty cool:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/10/14/superman-75-years-of-heroic-history-in-a-2-minute-animated-short-exclusive/

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2013, 06:37 PM »
"Here's 75 of what we ignored when we made MAN OF STEEL" - Snyder

That was a neat video, though.