Author Topic: Xbox One  (Read 72888 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Xbox One
« on: June 18, 2012, 09:49 AM »
A power point presentation has been leaked by Microsoft on the new XBox. It's to be released next year for $299. It's six times faster than the 360, includes a new Kinect, 3d glasses, connectivity with tables/phones, lots of online services and a blu-ray player. It looks like a dvd player.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/paul-thurrotts-wininfo/massive-leak-reveals-generation-xbox-143461
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Xbox One
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 09:56 AM »
Huh...so this was what all the Microsoft chatter was about over the weekend.  Not a bad price for a next gen console, but I've never been on the xbox boat...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 11:08 PM »
$300 seems like a dream actually.  Can't wait to see what next gen games are giong to be like...  I've been a big XB fan, so I'm pretty hooked on getting this short of PS4 being something dramatically more impressive.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #3 on: February 6, 2013, 11:36 AM »
Specs revealed:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-next-xbox-always-online-no-second-hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/

Highlights:
  • Constant Internet connection required
  • Won't play used games
  • Includes a Blu-ray drive
  • Heavy emphasis on motion controls with new Kinect
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 6, 2013, 12:14 PM »
That's not "specs revealed" - that's "rumors published."

I really doubt this no-used-games business ends up being true.

If there is no way to sell a game second-hand that you bought when you decide it sucks or that you're done with it, people will revolt.  I know I wouldn't buy it.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2013, 12:16 PM by Rob »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 6, 2013, 12:20 PM »
I heard PS4 won't play used games either...hoping that's not the case with these new consoles because those are pretty much the only games I buy since I refuse to pay $60-$70 for a new game when I can have it for half or less if I wait it out.

I'd imagine Gamestop would go out of business.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #6 on: February 6, 2013, 12:22 PM »
They were pretty well-sourced and cross-checked "rumors" Rob, but whatever.

We shall see on the used games front.  Sony did patent tech to lock out game discs after they're used on a console.  It's the way the industry has been going for a while.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 6, 2013, 12:32 PM »
They were pretty well-sourced and cross-checked "rumors" Rob, but whatever.

We shall see on the used games front.  Sony did patent tech to lock out game discs after they're used on a console.  It's the way the industry has been going for a while.

I dont' think it would be an exaggeration to say that it would be the death of the console.  Who's going to pay $60 for a game that they essentially don't own?

EDIT:  Reading the comments in your link, it looks like a lot of people agree that it's too far fetched to be a legitimate rumor at this point, and that rumors that don't pan out are regularly reported on when it comes to new consoles.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2013, 12:43 PM by Rob »

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 6, 2013, 01:08 PM »
Eliminating used games would kill the system.  If you can't even borrow a game from a friend, I think that would make one shy away from the system.  They would need a bunch of exclusive games to be viable.  You even eliminate the option of renting games unless they make some sort of rental only copy that doesn't have the activation code.  I think just about every game system owner has bought a game that just didn't meet their expectations and wanted to either get rid of it or go back in time and not purchase it.  At $60/game, the option to not get any of your money back will be too much to bear for many people.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #9 on: February 6, 2013, 01:26 PM »
Launching the PS3 at $600 would have been considered too far fetched to be legit as well, I think.  As I said, we shall see.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 6, 2013, 01:39 PM »
Launching the PS3 at $600 would have been considered too far fetched to be legit as well, I think.  As I said, we shall see.

But it also had Blu-ray technology nice and early right?  That was two giant pieces of brand new hardware rolled into one.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 6, 2013, 01:43 PM »
I keep hearing rumblings about the no Used Games thing and I can honestly see them going there, but it would fail miserably... like you guys already mentioned, Gamestop would go out of business (I personally hate that store, but it would hurt the economy), plus Redbox would be hurt by the no-rental thing.

Constant Internet connection bothers me too, as I have spotty service from time to time (Suddenlink - Making sure Buffering is still a thing in the year 2013!) and I have to reset the router and junk. Could get messy.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2013, 04:41 PM »
Wow.  Those are some steep pre-recs for that system.  I know people that don't have broadband Internet at home and some that live in areas where they can't get it, but have consoles.  The fact that they won't allow used games is the real negative, though. 

We have a game library that we lend to patrons, that won't be doable with this next gen system and even Game Stop allows employees to borrow games to play to help keep them current...that'll be out also.

It seems like Microsoft checked all the boxes for why not to buy their new system.  Next we'll here that there won't be any backward compatibility.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 7, 2013, 04:49 AM »
The no used games is balls, both sony and microsoft are talking this up in everything I have heard.

They might try it but I think if it happens the systems will fail
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 7, 2013, 05:05 PM »
Constant Internet connection required
So in fifteen years when they stop online services (like they did with the original Xbox) everyone's systems will become paperweights. ::)

The no used games doesn't surprise me. There have been PC games that have nontransferable registrations for years now.