Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 117139 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2004, 12:18 AM »
Anyone see the footage today of some bastard in Texas who ripped a foul ball out of a little kids hand?  

Wouldn't give it to him and the crowd was chanting "Give Him the Ball".  He got a bat and a couple of balls from the Cardinals and the TV crew was going nuts...pretty funny

St. Louis led 12-0 in the third when a foul ball hit into the stands by Matthews got more attention than anything on the field.

In the ensuing scramble, a husky man jumped over a row of seats and pinned a 4-year-old boy against the seats with his legs while diving to get the ball. To no avail, fans started chanting "Give him the ball! Give him the ball!"

But the boy, who wasn't injured, ended up with much more than one ball. In the next few minutes, both teams sent bats and balls to the boy, including Cardinals outfielder Reggie Sanders coming out between innings to do so.

"In my heart, I thought I should do something," said Sanders, who initially saw the incident on the clubhouse TV. "It's all about the kids."

There was also a little extra for the man who got the ball, but he left two innings later and never received the Cardinals T-shirt on which "Tough Guy" and "Ball Stealer" was written by reliever Steve Kline.

"I'm a big fan of giving kids balls. He was a real jerk about it," Kline said. "That's part of life, people like that in the world. They do something like that. I don't understand."

Griffey 1 more to 500!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2004, 01:32 PM »
Dressel's News and Notes:

- Yeah OCB, that guy who ripped the ball away also had a sack of Ephant Mons and R2 with Leia holos under his box seat if you look closely.  His behavior comes as no surprise once you are armed with this information.

- Anyone else notice that Scott Rolen is a serious triple crown threat in the NL this year?  He's in the top 3 in the NL with a .354 BA, 2nd in HR with 17 back of Griffey and Dunn, and 1st in RBI by a lot with 67, next closest is Berkman with 49.  I hope he keeps it up, it'll be fun, plus he's the 3B on my fantasy team, which brings me to item #3...

- Scott Pearson is close to buying his league leading 5th pair of panties if he loses just another 13 points to Dressel's Rebels in the standings.  With Dressel commanding a 237 point lead and dominating the top spot in the league, OCB has become his favorite lingerie model.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 01:32 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2004, 07:17 PM »
Well the Cubbies finally handed Roger Clemens his first loss this season.  Yay!  The Cubs have actually shown a few signs of life the past few games.  It's still remarkable a 41 year old ex-retiree can be having that muchh success though.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2004, 04:19 PM »
Junior Griffey just hit the big 500...congrats!

BTW, I have sized up my 6th pair of undies :'(

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2004, 07:48 PM »

BTW, I have sized up my 6th pair of undies :'(

Who's up for next year?

:D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 08:02 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2004, 10:26 PM »
Mmmmm.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2004, 01:53 AM »
Well, after a rough past month, my Halos are finally getting some of their players back on the active roster, after having like 7 of our top 10 guys out for extended periods of time.  Talk about bad luck...

So hopefully they can get the offense going again, with Garrett Anderson, Darin Erstadt, Tim Salmon, and several other guys back in the lineup finally!  Just missing Troy Glaus at this point.   :'(  Fortunately, everybody else in the West has stunk lately as well, so we haven't fallen too far out of the race.

Meanwhile, the Dodgers somehow keep plugging away, and overachieving themselves right into first in the NL West.  Pretty surprising.  Mostly just the pitching keeping us in there.  Still expect us to come tumbling back down to Earth eventually though...

Dumb Yanks are already in cruise control though, but I should obviously point out (to Dressel) that the Dodgers took 2 of 3 from the Pinstripes this week when they were in town!   8)   :-*

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2004, 09:21 AM »

Dumb Yanks are already in cruise control though, but I should obviously point out (to Dressel) that the Dodgers took 2 of 3 from the Pinstripes this week when they were in town!   8)   :-*

The Yankees have the best record in baseball and the command of the AL East by 4.5 games.

The Dodgers have... well, they've got... hrmmm, look at it this way they're...no, well, look on the bright side the Dodgers still might....

:-X

P.S.  At least I hear rumors that the Dodgers are in the Carlos Delgado, Freddy Garcia, and Carlos Beltran hunt.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2004, 09:23 AM »

Meanwhile, the Dodgers somehow keep plugging away, and overachieving themselves right into first in the NL West.  Pretty surprising.  Mostly just the pitching keeping us in there.  Still expect us to come tumbling back down to Earth eventually though...

Actually the SF Giants are in 1st place in the NL West, but a Californian should never let the facts get in the way.

:D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2004, 10:20 AM »
Bringing JediMAX to the Ole Ballpark on Friday night for his first game.  Not planning on staying too long or him being real interested, more like some daddy/son bonding time and to see the look on his face when we go through the doors for the first time.  The Twinkies play the Brew Crew...should be fun

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2004, 09:52 AM »
Bye Bye Beltran...
Watch out Cubs and Birds!
3 team deal gets done.

Houston just got better...

I'll be sad to see him go, he was the only real reason to get excited when the Twins played KC.  I really though KC was headed in the right direction with Pena, but I guess we can safely say now it was just a fluke.

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 09:55 AM by Nataku »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2004, 04:16 PM »
Bye Bye Beltran...
Watch out Cubs and Birds!
3 team deal gets done.

Houston just got better...

I'll be sad to see him go, he was the only real reason to get excited when the Twins played KC.  I really though KC was headed in the right direction with Pena, but I guess we can safely say now it was just a fluke.

Jeff

Okay, Houston is officially sick.  Biggio, Bagwell, Kent, Berkman, Beltran swinging the thunder sticks; but the real kicker is they ship Dotel off to Oakland and Brad Lidge, who is perhaps the most wicked pitcher in the game today, gets the nod as Houston's closer.  The Astros have that door slammer for a 1-2-3 9th in the closer slot now.  Brad Lidge has 65 K's to 25 BB + ER, which is a ratio about 3 times higher than your average pitcher.

I stand by my original prediction in March of the Astros winning the NL Central.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 1, 2004, 08:00 AM »
Is it football season yet? I need to watch a team that knows how to win.  >:(

Time to start looking at that wild card, because the division ain't going to happen.  Bunch of underachieving *****.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2004, 08:00 AM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #148 on: July 1, 2004, 03:38 PM »
Is it football season yet? I need to watch a team that knows how to win.  >:(

Time to start looking at that wild card, because the division ain't going to happen.  Bunch of underachieving *****.
I hear ya Mikey, Twins jsut got swept by the Palehose...not the end of the season but it would have been nice to take 2 out of 3 at best...1 out of 3 at worst, but to lose all three...ugh >:(

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #149 on: July 1, 2004, 03:48 PM »
Garcia was shaky at best against the Twins, but the ChiSox got the job done...

At least we play KC soon so maybe the Twins can rebound a bit.

Anyone heard any good trade rumors lately?

I'd hate to think we're done already, but it sounds like Boston, NYC, and Cali are not planning on dealing, while Oakland and Chicago are all done.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender