Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire (Possible Spoilers, tread carefully)  (Read 54914 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Possible Spoilers, tread carefully)
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2013, 11:30 AM »
The Hound (he is purportedly dead, but no body no proof)

The Hound isn't dead as he was the gardener? (going on memory) with the monks.

Gravedigger supposedly http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Gravedigger/Theories
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2013, 11:31 AM »
The Varys/Illario thing totally clueless to me when I first read it too but after rereading it makes total sense.  And it sets up the whole Mormont betrayal and Dance with Dragons Targaryen surprise as well.  Part of me wonders if Varys know about Jon too...and he is pulling the strings with him as well.  Which is why he wanted Ned Stark alive.

I've been going back through the first book recently, and I read the Varys/Illario chapter when I went to the beach with the family.  It was funny to finally read it in that chapter which was from Arya's perspective and to not have Illario and Varys identified.  Especially after having seen that scene play out in season 1 of the television show.  The level of foreshadowing that's in the books really is staggering.  And I agree, a second reading really does help to illustrate things more clearly.

It's funny that someone should mention the Hound and the Grave digger.  I actually read something about that theory on AWOIAF and was totally taken aback.  Especially since I thought that the Hound had in fact been mortally wounded in that fight at the Inn at the Crossroads.  Now, I totally recall the reports of a raider moving through the riverlands who was wearing the helmet of the Hound.  And it seemed to have been well established that it was Rorge masquerading as Sandor Clegane.  But then what about the Hound?  If he is still alive, then where does his character go?  Will Arya re-join him at some point after becoming one of the Faceless?  Or will he play some part in the whole Sansa / Petyr Baelish storyline?  I'm leaning towards the Sansa story, since the Saltpans are (somewhat) near the Vale of Arryn.

Another thing that's got me wondering?  There have been a good number of mentions of Ser Arthur Dayne, the sword of the Morning. His sword, Dawn, was the ancestral sword of house Dayne.  As far as I know, though, it's not one of the known Valyrian steel swords.  Is it possible that Dawn is in fact the real Lightbringer that Melisandre had spoken about back in book 2?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:39 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2013, 04:16 PM »
Here's another thought:  wargs.  It seems like most of the Stark kids can jump into the body of their direwolves or other animals (Bran, Jon, Rickon, and Arya).  We'll never know about Sansa since Lady was killed soon into the book and there wasn't any mention that Robb could as far as I can remember, so that's 4 of 6 children.  But what about their predecessors?  Eddard or Benjen?  I wonder about Ned because that might explain the dream that Bran and Rickon have about 'seeing' their father's death.  And Benjen is lost, but maybe he is dead as a human, yet lives on in an animal form and maybe Jon will discover him?  I just can't believe this trait would skip generations.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2013, 10:38 PM »
Well, there is the whole Coldhands theory. A good number of people seem to believe that Bran's guide north of The Wall may in fact be his uncle.

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2013, 11:41 PM »
I was reading about Coldhands and that theory, but that doesn't seem right given that Coldhands has supposedly been around for a long time, longer than Ben Stark has been alive... or at least longer than the 3-4 years he's been missing.  I've yet to get that far in my re-read but who knows.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2013, 12:01 PM »
Just occurred to me, but what if Coldhands is a walker that Benjen jumped into?  If Bran can jump to Hodor (HODOR!  HODOR!) then why can't Benjen jump into a walker?
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2013, 01:01 PM »
The warg abilities do seem to be almost common among the Stark children.  These abilities had to have come from some place.  Although we never heard anything about these abilities regarding Brandon, Ned, Lyanna or Benjen.  I wonder if we'll learn more about this in the next book, or when we get to see Coldhands in the next season of the HBO series?

Feedback

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #142 on: January 4, 2014, 01:30 PM »
Howdy,
 My sister got me the box set of books and was wondering which I should start reading if i am up to date with the TV series and don't want too much overlap. Any suggestions would deb greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #143 on: January 4, 2014, 01:37 PM »
Half-way through book 3.

But you should really read the whole series from the beginning.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #144 on: January 4, 2014, 01:41 PM »
Half-way through book 3.

But you should really read the whole series from the beginning.

Thanks! I was considering that too, I will let you know what I decide.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 4, 2014, 03:05 PM »
Amazon now has a listing for The World of Ice and Fire - The Official History of Westeros and The World of A Game of Thrones.  George R.R. Martin has discussed this book before, and it's supposed to be a reference book that encapsulates much of the history of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.  There's no cover art at this time, and the release appears to be October 28th, 2014.  Here's the blurb from the listing:

If the past is prologue, then George R. R. Martin’s masterwork—the most inventive and entertaining fantasy saga of our time—warrants one hell of an introduction. At long last, it has arrived with The World of Ice and Fire.

This lavishly illustrated volume is a comprehensive history of the Seven Kingdoms, providing vividly constructed accounts of the epic battles, bitter rivalries, and daring rebellions that lead to the events of A Song of Ice and Fire and HBO’s Game of Thrones. In a collaboration that’s been years in the making, Martin has teamed with Elio M. García, Jr., and Linda Antonsson, the founders of the renowned fan site Westeros.org—perhaps the only people who know this world almost as well as its visionary creator.

Collected here is all the accumulated knowledge, scholarly speculation, and inherited folk tales of maesters and septons, maegi and singers. It is a chronicle which stretches from the Dawn Age to the Age of Heroes; from the Coming of the First Men to the arrival of Aegon the Conqueror; from Aegon’s establishment of the Iron Throne to Robert’s Rebellion and the fall of the Mad King, Aerys II Targaryen, which has set into motion the “present-day” struggles of the Starks, Lannisters, Baratheons, and Targaryens. The definitive companion piece to George R. R. Martin’s dazzlingly conceived universe, The World of Ice and Fire is indeed proof that the pen is mightier than a storm of swords.

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #146 on: January 4, 2014, 03:29 PM »
I wish book 6 would be scheduled to come out in 2014...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2014, 11:14 PM »
George RR Martin has posted another excerpt of 'Winds of Winter' on his website.  And he's also mentioned that there's another excerpt available via the iOS app called George R. R. Martin’s A World of Ice and Fire – A Game of Thrones Guide.  I just downloaded the app, but I don't quite know how to unlock the chapter that's available via the app.

But when is the book actually going to come out?

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #148 on: March 29, 2014, 08:39 AM »
What I read recently was "soon enough that we're pretty much out of danger of the series catching up."  I know Martin no longer announces release dates for his books until it goes to print (after missing DOZENS of previously-announced release dates), so we probably won't know exactly until a few weeks before it's in our hands.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 29, 2014, 09:41 AM »
I know that GRRM has given up on release estimates, and with good reason. Some of the fans are a little "impatient".  This article shed some light on just how brutal and impatient some of the fans have become.  And it's really ugly.

As for the series catching up with the books?  I had actually read recently that GRRM has confided in the show runners how the series is supposed to end. Part of that was done with the goal of the being able to carry on with the HBO series. But there's also been talk that HBO might want to cap the show at 7 or 8 seasons, and perhaps it would occlude with a feature film.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:10 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback