Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire (Possible Spoilers, tread carefully)  (Read 54926 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
A Song of Ice and Fire (Possible Spoilers, tread carefully)
« on: December 10, 2004, 12:48 PM »
OK, so I decided that we need a separate thread for this series.  If it turns out that only Scott and I ever post in this thread, so be it.   :P

So, I am now about 660 pages into Book 1, A Game of Thrones, which I picked up thanks to a recommendation by Scott in the JD Book Club.  It is a fantastic book and I thank Scott for his suggestion. 

There are many similarities between the story so far and the historical War of the Roses (history, NOT the crappy 80s movie ::)).  I cannot believe how I was quickly sucked into the story and the world of the Seven Kingdoms.

SPOILERS

Man, so a lot of people that I thought would be major players in this series start dropping off!  There is a lot of set-up only to surprise you by someone unexpected croaking off!   :(  Already a few of the characters I had grown to really like have been cast aside.   >:(  Of course, the beauty of the book is that each passing gives specific motivation to the rest of the cast to play out their roles.

OK, I won't say any more until I am finished with the book, although I am interested to see what will happen with Drogo and his khaleesi as they prepare to sail west.  Should be interesting when the Dragon meets the Lion and the Wolf and the Rest...
END SPOILERS

My goal is to finish book 1 before I head out for Portland (Christmas Travel) so that I can start book 2, A Clash of Kings on my plane ride west!

So, anyone else heard of or read any of the books in this series?  Played the CCG?  Read any of the Anthology short stories or Graphic Novels?

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Possible Spoilers, tread carefully)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 03:53 PM »
I can't say again (but I will) how awesome and how much I enjoyed the first book.  It really is a great story with so much going on that I can see why its going to be 6 books. 

Has anyone else ever read these?
If not, you really should.  They are that good, IMO

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 10:22 AM »
OK, so this weekend I finished the first book.

Let's just say that after 800 pages there were still a few surprises left in the book at the end.  Didn't quite turn out like I was expecting, and that was a good thing.

I'm now about 3 chapters into the 2nd book, A Clash of Kings and desperately cheering against the Lannisters.

Jeff

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 10:27 AM »
Yeah...it definitely twisted there at the end in to something I didn't think would happen at all

Is it Christmas yet? :P

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 02:06 PM »
Oh yeah! This is a great series!

I'm probably about 1/3 through A Storm Of Swords (the third book?), but I haven't touched it in awhile, just because I got busy with so much other ****. The storyline in this is pretty damn sweet though. I'll probably just start the third book over again from the beginning, because I don't really remember where I was.

How many of them have been written so far?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 02:08 PM by LandotheScoundrel »
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 02:09 PM »
3 with #4 coming out in a couple of weeks :)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 02:17 PM »
Wow! Its taken him awhile to write the 4th one.

I'll have to pick it up. I have the other 3 in hardcover, so I'll have to do the same with these. It always sucks when you've got half a series in hardcover and the other half in softcover. It makes them look kind of lame when they're displayed on the bookshelf.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 02:46 PM »
I was reading that this series will be seven volumes long.

The story I read was that at first, it was to be 6 books, with the first 3 books making up one trilogy, then the next 3 finishing off the story with a second trilogy.  However, while writing book 4, it was leaked that about 5-10 years take place between the two trilogies.

There was such an outcry from fans, that George RR Martin decided to stop where he was in book 4 in order to go back and write book 3.5 (A Feast for Crows) to fill in the time gap between the two, thus adding a seventh book.  Apparently, this is why it has taken so long to get the fourth book (part 3.5) done.

Does that match up to what you've read/heard?  That's the problem with the internet, you can never be sure what you read at a fan-site is true or not...  :-\

Jeff

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 10:20 AM »
Finished with A Clash of Kings last night and plan to start A Storm of Swords tonight or tomorrow time permitting...

Book 2 didn't seem to move the overall plot/storyline ahead very far, but a heck of a LOT of action takes place!   :o  All kinds of fighting and back-stabbing and politcal intrigue.  I've read two books now and I'm still a little perplexed as to the true goals of all the characters.

Very interested to pick up book three and learn a little more about Jon Snow and the Black...

Jeff 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: March 7, 2005, 04:07 PM »
Geez.  :-[

Haven't had much time for reading lately, but in the last week or so I started making a little time each night to plug away...

Up to page 801 in book 3, A Storm of Swords.

Definately more plot movement than the second book, and yet for each small bit of plot resolution we learn a bit more and more... seems like something much bigger is brewing and it isn't as simple as Fire = Lannister, Ice = Winterfell.

Good thing I stopped attaching myself to any major characters after the first book, as G.R.R.Martin has a fondness for offing anyone and everyone as he sees fit...  :'(

Jeff

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: March 7, 2005, 04:16 PM »
Jeff your reading speed amazes me :-*

I've still got 150 pages or so in Clash of Kings, its very much just further plot setting so far...

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #11 on: March 7, 2005, 06:11 PM »
I'm 100 pages into the second book.  I really enjoyed the first, but was surprised by their affinity for knocking off major characters.  I wish I could get through them faster, but I've been pretty busy lately.  They are great so far.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 12:20 AM »
Well, I finally finished Clash of Kings.  Good stuff, not as good as the first book but still pretty captivating.  The plot has so many threads that some of the stories have been basically ignored. 

So, I have a few other book on my plate right now and as such, I may not get to Swords for a few months.  I do want to read it though before A Feast of Crows comes out this summer

If I had to pick a favorite character so far it would be Tyrion, that dude is great :)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 12:26 AM »
If I had to pick a favorite character so far it would be Tyrion, that dude is great :)

Well, Book 3 (which I just finished last weekend) is filled full of the venomous, treacherous dwarf so you should enjoy it immensely.   ;)

Book 3 was actually a bit better than 2 - lotsa tying up some of those left-over plot lines and move a bunch of then forward, especially the Black Brothers and the Wall and those who dwell beyond it.

I cna't wait for Book 4, but luckily I have a lot of other books to get through so I shouldn't bee too hung up waiting for it...

Jeff

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: June 6, 2005, 03:55 PM »
About 100 pages into Sword right now, great as usual

One thing I enjoy about his books is the meals he makes up for the people to eat

I read on a SoIaF message boards that Feast of Crows was soooo long the publisher made him go back and split it in two.  Opinions are mixed if this now means there will be 8 books or still 7.  It also sounds like the first book will deal solely with the South and the second with the North and they should both be out this year