Author Topic: Sideshow Premium Format Figures  (Read 121790 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Sideshow Premium Format Figures
« on: July 4, 2004, 03:43 AM »
I'm not a big statue/minibust fan myself...  I'm intrigued by Sideshow, a relatively small company, jumping into this though with a Star Wars license, and I'm also curious to see how this:

A) affects Unleashed, as 1/4" statues, to me, would be superior to Unleashed.

&

B) How this is going to be perceived by other lines that are similar, such as the minibusts from GG...  And the die-hard collectors of said lines.

Very curious...  Seems like they've stirred the pot.

I was certainly flabergasted because I, at first, thought it was some secret maneuver that Hasbro had dumped 12" rights to others and that Sideshow picked it up.  Their 1:6 scale action figures are quite amazing.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 11:16 PM by Jeff »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Sideshow 1/4 Statues?
« Reply #1 on: July 4, 2004, 02:16 PM »
well, i don't really see it affecting the unleashed line personally, since they are going to be statues and not figures - meaning the price tag is going to be higher. i would have to guess somewhere around the $150 range. if they are going to 1/4 scale, that would put the average statue at around 18" tall, correct? 1 inch in scale = 4 inches in real life, meaning that there would be 3" per foot in scale. if the average human is 6' tall, that would be 18", or am i doing something wrong?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: July 4, 2004, 05:08 PM »
That'd be right Dave...  1/4 scale comes to 18" tall for a 6' tall character its to represent.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: July 5, 2004, 08:36 AM »
I wish Sideshow could get the 12 inch rights cause their dolls would rock so much more than what Hasbro attempts.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: July 6, 2004, 10:51 AM »
Yeah I would be more excited about 12" figures than new statues...

Offline Katarn07

• Youngling
  • NRI Jedi Mercenary
    • View Profile
    • Echo Network
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 01:23 PM »
Wait, these are statues and not action figures? I read the article at Sideshow and I think you guys got things backward unless there's another article besides this one that says otherwise. They're referring to these things as figures and not statues.

I guess we'll all see when the pics from Comic Con come out.
The Force is strong with Katarn....

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 11:01 PM »
I have no idea (I'll find out in 3 days ;^)

If I had to guess, I'd say they'll be statues.

By the way, thier approach to exclusives-ordering them on the net, then picking them up at the con absolutely rules!

I hope we see that idea expanded and used for CIII, but I doubt it.
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 11:23 PM »
Sideshow makes other items in the same scale.  I think they're blurring the term "figure" with what these truly are, which are more or less statues.

Hasbro does it as well, when one thinks of the relative unposeability of many "figures" they've made, but they're still called figures by the company.

These will most likely be just nice, large, statues.  

Sideshow does some 12" figures that are true masterpieces, and really poseable.  THOSE are action figures.  :)

Offline Katarn07

• Youngling
  • NRI Jedi Mercenary
    • View Profile
    • Echo Network
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 12:39 PM »
18" Action Figures

I was misled to believe they'd be more articulated as they really are. Their articulation seems to vary depending on who the figure is of. Still, it seems to be very limited. The arms are usually what are most poseable. They're all very impressive and my desire to see them has no changed any. These beat the Unleashed (which I do not collect nor do I really even like) anyday. I'd love to own them but the price is way too high. Perhaps I'll manage to snag at least one as gift of some sort.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 08:02 AM »
RS reports that this is Han Solo from Sideshow Collectibles.  I didn't know Han was coming out and if this is the kind of work they do then I guess I have a new collection to start!!

*Image is from RS coverage*

Beth

Offline Katarn07

• Youngling
  • NRI Jedi Mercenary
    • View Profile
    • Echo Network
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 04:16 PM »
I saw those. They do look quite cool. I'm mildly disappointed in how articulated they are but look at Han! He's amazing. He looks better than Luke who doesn't really look like Mark Hamill. It's closer than Hasbro has ever come but I feel something's amiss.

What other characters do you all wanna see? Vader and Luke are coming out next year (can't wait to see Vader) but they've got a license for three years. Boba Fett would be amazing and I'm not one who's a big Boba Fett fanatic. A Stormie would be nice as well. If they're willing to make a female body, Leia's a must as well.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 11:13 PM »
vader, fett, and a stormtrooper would probably be the only ones i would buy. for some reason, the human likenesses aren't that great. although that han does look okay. of course, it also depends on what the price point is for these. if they are $400 each, then you can forget it. i'll only buy boba fett  :D

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 11:18 PM »
We should have some pix of the Luke and Han coming in tonight.  Han looks real nice, but Luke's got the damned bucktooth problem again (though he's not in finalized form yet, supposedly...

So check back later.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 11:18 PM »
Well I still am unsure if they are statues or figures. They look good though.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Katarn07

• Youngling
  • NRI Jedi Mercenary
    • View Profile
    • Echo Network
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 10:56 AM »
They'll most likely be $200-$250. I can only drool over them and maybe get one as a gift if I'm lucky.