Author Topic: Why there are no more pictures of Bly  (Read 20714 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Why there are no more pictures of Bly
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2005, 03:17 PM »
If Hasbro has one ounce of professionalism to their process, the instant that a figure is painted and approved, someone would create a set of Orthorgraphics clearly labeling which color is to be applied to each portion of the figure from all relevant angles - probably noting RGB values as well as simple paint shade terms.  

You know, I just noticed this today, but something tells me that if Hasbro has a photo of Commander Bly in their Comic Con Q n A Presentation then I'm 100% positive that they've already got other photography of the figure to use if they have to go through a re-approval process or something lame like that.

Jeff

I'm not going to claim I know how exactly the process works for them, but based on my experience, I would think that there are stipulations built into the contract that say figures must be approved via physical inspection of a prototype (since color can never be 100% duplicated via photograph.) I have no doubt that they can whip another one up in precisly the same manner, but the problem is getting Lucasfilms approval. I could be that Lucasfilm is only obligated to approve figures one a month or once every two months, so they may have to wait for the next window to get approval because Lucasfilm is under no obligation to adjust thier scedule due to Hasbro's faults.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2005, 09:07 PM »
That is pretty low of someone to steal it from under Hasbro's noses. But if what the rep said was true, then I think it very stupid on Hasbro's part to show off the only prototype produced at a show for just that reason. I would hope they have the smarts to have a back-up on hand for LFL. That's just plain good business sense.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2005, 09:53 AM »
It does suck and they guy that stole it should have his gonads fall off but this is Hasbro's own darn fault.  Why was the guy so distracted that it got stolen in the first place?  How many people were around and "nobody" saw this, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.  Why was this the only one?  You bring your only copies of a finished product to show and have no security? 

To be it sounds like a clever way to cancel a figure and blame it on something else.  Now we just have to wait and see if the figure gets made or if it gets scrap (AKA Hasbro plan).
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2005, 03:00 PM »
What sucks more than anything else about this is that Hasbro now will be gun-shy about bringing new product to future shows for this very reason. We won't see stuff until it's just about to be released - I always look forward to seeing the reports back from these types of events 'cause I know Hasbro is going to show something that I hadn't seen before.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2005, 04:45 PM »
I totally agree but isn't that also convinient for Hasbro.  Now they don't have to show new product at cons and then say that they already had a bad experience and therefore will not be showing off the line. 

The whole thing seems too convinient to me :o

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2005, 05:07 PM »
I guess since they're using a slideshow to show off more new product anyway, now this will just give them an excuse to use a slideshow for everything.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2005, 05:08 PM »
Wow...I may be hard on Hasbro laetely, but the idea that Hasbro staged this so that they don't have to go to cons is nuts.

Talk about paraniod.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline magillafett

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2005, 10:46 PM »
Wait, wait, wait. Why would Hasbro even announce the figure if they didn't want to make it?

SilverZ

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2005, 12:03 AM »
I mentioned the incident again to him briefly the next day, after the Q&A. He was in a much better mood, and, like I somewhat figured, was lead to believe in the conversation that his immediate reaction may have been fatalistic.

I also see it as an unlikely thing that they’d not have detailed information, regardless of a hard copy’s existence, to get them through manufacturing. But I was told what I was told. And there’s certainly no reason to think there’s a conspiracy involved.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2005, 10:37 AM »
Well I thought the "conspiracy" theory was better that the real one.  But I guess Hasbro is really just a bunch of dumb *****.  Sad indeed.

The slideshow thing does gives them the opportunity to present new product without actually showing it off.  Why risk it?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2005, 12:45 AM »
Or at least have a 2nd one...  :)  Have display items and ones you keep back at the office, just in case.

It's not like cranking out a copy of it is tough...
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2005, 03:19 AM »
Simpler yet, don't unlock display cabinets during show hours.

None of it makes the guy that stole the fig any less of a piece of ****, though.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2005, 07:00 PM »
JJ: you can't seriously believe they sent their ONE AND ONLY figure to the convention.  That just the height of stupidity!
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2005, 07:18 PM »
JJ: you can't seriously believe they sent their ONE AND ONLY figure to the convention.  That just the height of stupidity!

That's what Hasbro claimed at SDCC, dafoo, which is what Jared said in the first post of this thread...

Here’s where things get complicated. Apparently, this Bly was the “master paint reference,” and the figure was in a state where it had been approved by LFL and was on its way to manufacturing. The hitch being, if the factory needs paint reference to start the run, there is no hard copy of the approved figure to instruct them on. A new one would have to be created. (My assumption here is that a newly repainted sample would need to be resubmitted to LFL before being OK’ed for manufacture). So, if there are any problems or questions overseas on specifications for the paint apps on the figure, they’re out of luck. That could cause a delay in the release of Commander Bly.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2005, 07:25 PM »
I can't imagine Hasbro staging this all. Its one bad experience, i am sure they will still show at the cons.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"