Author Topic: Why there are no more pictures of Bly  (Read 20675 times)

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Why there are no more pictures of Bly
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2005, 11:32 PM »
Yeah I saw the report from the clerk at the convention.

I don't believe if for a second though
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2005, 12:18 AM »
21st Century Toys had their one and only rendition of the Japanese Zero with them...  A hot commodity, and made BY HAND.  You think a repainted Commander figure's of value?  Try a scratch built 1:18 Japanese Zero that needed a little reworking...  Seems like Hasbro just having a painted figure is small stuff compared to what could happen if it was an only sculpt.  That'd be a bit more disasterous.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2005, 10:45 AM »
Yeah I saw the report from the clerk at the convention.

I don't believe if for a second though

Based on my experience, I don't think it's to unreasonable to belive that what the clerks said is true. I mean, I don't know for 100% certain, but I do know that when maquette scuplts were made for the characters of the animated TV series I was working on, the models that were sent to our show's creators to approve were the only existing reference models according to the manufacturer.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

SilverZ

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2005, 12:54 AM »
Why are people still harping on some kind of conspiracy, can't believe that they only brought the one Bly, somehow thinking this is some second-hand urban legend, or that the story was made up?

We need to have a reality check and realize that Hasbro is a group of people making a product for one reason: to sell the product.

They're not ******* around with us, lying to us, or misleading us in some black-ops misinformation campaign. They're not staging elaborate fake thefts for the benefit of me, some fan hanging around the booth. They're making and selling toys. They bring the toys to the Con to show them and have pictures taken of them, all in order to get the word out that new product will be available. Product they are selling and hope we will buy. They’re marketing their product.

They brought one hardcopy of Bly. They put it into the display cabinet. The SW marketing director opened the case. Someone stole it out from underneath him when his back was turned.

I saw it happen, and thought it would be an interesting event to comment on. Make of it what you will, but, really, the conspiracy theories are ******* nuts.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2005, 02:35 AM »
The truth is out there.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2005, 04:31 AM »
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2005, 05:40 AM »

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2005, 05:51 AM »
Tydirium, don't go nuts man.  Stop asssuming, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying they are morons and just asking for trouble to allow their one of a kind, have to do all the work again, piece out. 

The clerk just rattling off about how they'll have to start from scratch cuz that was the whole deal is stupid. He's just talking it up as he's got a big story to tell.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2005, 09:26 AM »
I didn't intent this to be so blown out of proportion.  I was not even implying a conspiracy theory at all.  For my own sanity I was hoping to find another possible answer to this. 

I just can't believe that Hasbro and its reps are so ******* stupid that this can happen without a back up figure, that is all.  For me to spend about $50 to $75 a month on the product of a company ran by people with IQs a third than my own is pretty damn insulting.  Anybody that is not insulted my their stupidity should really wonder.

Oh and BTW, the fact that you were present when it happen and didn't really see it either (or did nothing to stop it) does not speak all that well about you Tydirium.  If I were you, I would keep the story in closet because it is quite embarrassing.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2005, 10:00 AM »
Oh and BTW, the fact that you were present when it happen and didn't really see it either (or did nothing to stop it) does not speak all that well about you Tydirium.  If I were you, I would keep the story in closet because it is quite embarrassing.

Huh?  I'm pretty sure Jared said he was talking to the Hasbro guy and didn't realize what had happened until after it happened. 

As he was setting up the last figures, and I was tinkering with my camera next to him, out of the corner of my eye I caught someone approach the cabinet, to the left of the Hasbro rep, but thought nothing of it – until the Hasbro rep turned suddenly, slightly confused, and immediately angry. Looking back at the case, Commander Bly, the figure farthest to the left and closest to the front of the display, was gone. Disappeared. Stolen. Right out from underneath him, someone reached in, grabbed the figure, and took off. I had noticed someone approach and leave, but didn’t know who it was, or see him swipe the figure.

I doubt there was much Jared could have done to stop it.  Unless maybe Jared has some eerie ESP powers that I'm not aware of and knew the guy walking up to the case had stealing on his mind.  ???

Nice of you to take a shot at Jared like that though...  ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2005, 10:19 AM »

So far today, that is the dumbest thing I have heard. I'll update you if I hear worse.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2005, 11:29 AM »
Here’s a story you won’t get on other sites.

I was in the Hasbro booth last week, scoping out the 3-3/4” line for my side business of reselling figures on eBay, when one of the Hasbro line marketers came up to the display unit I was next to. He pulled out his keys, unlocked the cabinet, and proceeded to rearrange the figures according to hand-written notes he was holding. Some tall guy with a camera asked him if he had the final assortment and names for the new 12, and was told that yes, he did, and he was arranging them in accordance, and could give him the names and numbers in a moment.

As he was setting up the last figures, and camera boy was tinkering with his camera next to him, I slid in to the left of the Hasbro rep, they thought nothing of it – until the Hasbro rep turned suddenly, slightly confused, and immediately angry. Commander Bly, the figure farthest to the left and closest to the front of the display, was gone. Disappeared. Appropriated. Freed from it’s glass prison. Right out from underneath the rep, I reached in, grabbed the figure, and took off. Camera guy noticed me approach and leave, but didn’t know who I was, or see me swipe the figure.

There was a moment of confusion, and what I’m sure for him was absolute anger, and then the realization that I was gone, and so was Bly.

Here’s where I really scored. Apparently, this Bly was the “master paint reference,” and the figure was in a state where it had been approved by LFL and was on its way to manufacturing. Geeorge Lucas may have actually held this figure! The hitch being, if the factory needs paint reference to start the run, there is no hard copy of the approved figure to instruct them on. A new one would have to be created. (My assumption here is that a newly repainted sample would need to be resubmitted to LFL before being OK’ed for manufacture). So, if there are any problems or questions overseas on specifications for the paint apps on the figure, they’re out of luck. That could cause a delay in the release of Commander Bly. This baby is GOLD!

That’s what I read at a Star Wars site. Perhaps, and I hope this is the case, that this figure earns me bank on eBay. I hope it never works out for them, because then I’ve really got a collector’s item on my hands!

So if you’re wondering where good pics of Bly are on JediDefender, it’s quite simply because “someone” at Comic Con is a fast moving entrepreneur, who may have well secured his kids college tuitions with some quick thinking. Thanks!

We’ll hope for the best price on eBay and that Hasbro can’t get this figure back into production, ever. If you want to see some pics, check out my auction here
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 11:30 AM by Deanpaul »
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2005, 04:03 PM »
At first I was about to rant about you copy and pasting the same story. then I kept reading, then I collapsed!

Tydirium, you scalliwag!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2005, 04:43 PM »

Embarassing?  Embarassing to who?  I assume you mean Hasbro?

I'm really trying to control my rage at the moment, but Gatillo, that has got to be the most ignorant things I've EVER seen posted here at JD.  For someone to apparently insult Jared, one of the greatest guys to ever grace the Star Wars boards, is akin to slander.

I'm hoping I completely misunderstood you, Gatillo, because until this moment, you've been a great part of JD.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Please.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2005, 04:55 PM »
Well, this thread has certainly taken an interesting turn here.  I obviously don't need to comment on Gatillo's post there, since Jeff, Chris, and Jess already took care of that.  I can only assume that Gatillo's got the story somewhat confused or something.  Obviously, if Jared is standing there preoccupied with taking pix of Hasbro stuff for JD, and someone nearby swipes a figure out of the open cabinet that the Hasbro guy is working in, then Jared neither has anything to do with the situation, nor does he hold any type of bizarre responsibility for not apprehending the Bly Bandit in the act.  Just an innocent bystander, who didn't even know about what happened until after the fact.  The Hasbro rep (NOT CLERK) should be rather embarrassed though...

And why we're getting excited over the fact that doofus dafoo isn't buying the story is beyond me...  :P
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 04:58 PM by JediMAC »