Author Topic: Vintage Figures Which Have Not Been Updated  (Read 75566 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Figures Which Have Not Been Updated
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2008, 07:58 AM »
Well it looks grey to me.  However, I always thought that Han's ESB coat was blue until proven otherwise.  But like someone above said we got a grey one based off the 12 back photo from the vintage line.  That is a version I would like to see released as well.  In my opinion the color is grey.  It sure as hell is not black.  Green...mmmm...maybe???

I thought for sure they were going to release a grey variant, but it kind of pegwarmed so that may never happen.  I'll just have to go buy one and paint it grey I guess.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: ICMG, Yarna...now what?
« Reply #76 on: July 7, 2008, 07:08 PM »
I think that completing the vintage figure line is a cause worth getting behind.  We're pretty close to that mark now, and it seems like a realistic goal.  As long as people can agree about what's really done and what isn't done.

That's the sticky part. Going in order of original release, here's what I view as having still left to do:

Death Squad Commander - just repaint the DST we got in the TAC line and call it a day.

Death Star Droid - we got versions in Gold, Black Chrome and Purple, just give us a vac-metal Silver one and again call it a day

Rebel Soldier (Hoth Battle Gear) - a nice SA Hoth Rebel Soldier in Echo Base colors

Imperial Commander - any Imperial Officer in the Black Uniform will do - heck give us a Commander Praji to match the SSC 12" figure and you're done!

Rebel Commander - this is one of those "debateable" figures. The original Hoth Trooper was close, but it would be great to see them update the Hoth Trenches version of the Rebel Trooper w/a SA body and perhaps rotating in some head variants or just packing the figure with some extra heads, one of them being a white man with bushy moustache.

Bespin Security Guard (both versions) - a nice new SA Bespin Guard w/a running variation of head and ethnicity could easily get these two figures scratched off the list.

Klaatu (Jabba's Palace Guard) - this seems like a no-brainer - we already got the Skiff Guard Version, now just give us the palace guard.

Lumat - this little guy keeps popping up in rumor lists yet we still have yet to get him. I'd say just release him in a two pack with an updated Warok and be done with it. I don't really care if they just update one of the two sculpts from the TAC Ewok 2-pack with his correct fur color.

Imperial Dignitary - I know this figure won't exactly sell in great numbers, but it's always puzzled me that they skipped over this guy and gave us the other two dignitaries instead.

Warok - as stated above, just package Lumat with this guy.

So how many figures is that? Eleven.

Eleven figures is something Hasbro could easily do by spreading them out over three waves, with each wave dedicated to one of the three OT movies.

Some of these eleven even have a chance this year. There is a rumored "Death Star Droid" build-a-droid coming. The Death Squad Commander was in a ANH figure rumor list over on RS back near the end of June.

There is a Rebel Hoth Soldier in the ESB figure rumor list that RS posted back in mid-June.

So if those three are coming, that takes the list already down to eight.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 8, 2008, 09:33 AM »
I was thinking of starting another one of those vintage lists, but I think you basically got it. I call it the CYA version, which is one of three versions. First you have the "you can call 'em done" list which only includes about 4 figures; a second version of the Bespin Guard, Klaatu, and the two Ewoks. All the others you can argue have been done. Then you have the CYA list (Pete's list) which aims for more precise coverage.  And finally, some argue a carded list which covers figures that are yet to be re-released on single cards. That adds figures to the CYA list like the B-Wing pilot and Nikto.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 8, 2008, 12:15 PM »
The Rebel Commander is really the only one that is really debatable from your list, Pete.  I think Major Derlin is an acceptable Rebel Commander, as is General McQuarrie.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2008, 12:15 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 8, 2008, 12:50 PM »
I don't think it would be splitting hairs to categorize those Hoth commanders.  Technically, Derlin and McQuarrie are a type of character we never got in the vintage line.  They are interior Echo base commanders, with a very similar outfit to Luke's but with the darker shoulder pauldrons.  If anything, they would be closer to the vintage Rebel Hoth trooper than to the Rebel Commander.  The vintage rebel commander is an outdoors grey and white different outfit similar to the modern Hoth Rebel trooper.  Essentially, we need an indoor Echo Base trooper and possibly a Rebel commander with the outdoor outfit and colors.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 9, 2008, 09:45 AM »
I donno, I think there are other debatable ones -

Death Squad Commander - the grey uniform in the picture is a false color, it never appeared in the movie. The history of the figure is that it started out as Tarkin, but they changed the head and kept the rest of the body, color and all.

Death Star Droid - the vintage one was either named or colored incorrectly, take your pick. The silver one was never a "death star" droid in the movie.

Hoth Rebel Soldier - we already got three or four, they're all just crappy.

Rebel commander - technically, the vintage one was based on Derlin.

Bespin Guard (first version) - a pale Bespin guard is a pale Bespin guard.

Imperial Dignitary - one could argue that we got two, although they're different characters.

I personally would like to see all these happen in line with their vintage counterparts, but all the same I'm fairly satisfied with what we got (except the Hoth soldier.)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #81 on: July 9, 2008, 10:58 AM »
I donno, I think there are other debatable ones -

Death Squad Commander - the grey uniform in the picture is a false color, it never appeared in the movie. The history of the figure is that it started out as Tarkin, but they changed the head and kept the rest of the body, color and all.
This has been covered in this thread before...here are some pictures:

All three look to me to be either grey or olive (like Tarkin)...I'd say there is enough there to release a DSC, hell they released an EU Blue Coat Hoth, 4-5 times
« Last Edit: July 9, 2008, 10:59 AM by Scott »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 9, 2008, 12:05 PM »
Death Star Droid - the vintage one was either named or colored incorrectly, take your pick. The silver one was never a "death star" droid in the movie.

Rebel commander - technically, the vintage one was based on Derlin.

These are the two that stick out for me.

The vintage Death Star Droid, IMO, was covered by the RA-7 droid that was packed in with the Sandcrawler.  I think things got confused by the fact that it looks like Hasbro was trying to make that RA-7 look dirty, and it lost that silver/vac-metal appearance.

And I stand by my Derlin comment.  And I think the repainted Derlin that was in the Ultimate battle pack is closer to the deco of the vintage Rebel Commander.  However, having looked at the cardback it seems to show an officer in the all-white uniform, so I can understand the cause for a debate on this.

Feedback

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 9, 2008, 06:07 PM »
Ok, the vintage Rebel commander's face MAY be based on Derlin, but the outfit is clearly the Echo base defense trooper, outside the base, wearing the white and grey outfit.

The actual Derlin has an interior base brown outfit more similar to Luke's but with a commanding officer's jacket.

So in actuality, the rebel soldier from the vintage line is closer to Derlin's appearance than is the Rebel commander.  His outfit is pretty close to this (though the boots are different)

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2008, 01:04 AM »
Man they really need to make some decent Hoth Soldiers and Rebel Blockade Soldiers.  You would think Hasbro would be all over that. 

Anyway, I would like to see a grey Death Star Commander or whatever character it is.  It sure looks grey to me in those pics.  Hasbro knows there is a group of us that would buy a grey version.  They make every color of the rainbow for the clonetroopers they can add a grey version of the Death Star Trooper if nothing else.  Although wouldn't be cool if they packed in that console and made a helmet with that cord?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2008, 09:40 AM »

All three look to me to be either grey or olive (like Tarkin)...I'd say there is enough there to release a DSC, hell they released an EU Blue Coat Hoth, 4-5 times

The bottom one, no way. That's black with a kicker light source. The other two images are the same image, just reversed and one of them (the grainier one) has been "pushed." Legend has it that the image was manipulated to make it look grey (which wouldn't have been hard to do) to match the figure and the fact that this guy doesn't even appear on screen helps to keep the mystery muddled.

That said, using the Hoth Han argument, one certainly has an argument to make the figure grey.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2008, 10:05 AM »

the fact that this guy doesn't even appear on screen helps to keep the mystery muddled.

I think the pictures above are of the same guy...he's the guy manning whatever the hell that is during those scenes in Tarkin's war room.  And if you look at his outfit vs Tarkins they look almost the same in the same light.  Tarkin's is not black so I don't know how you could definitively say the Troopers isn't either

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2008, 03:01 PM »
Not to mention the Death "Squad" Trooper does appear in the film...  Watch in wide screen before they blow up Alderaan...  You can pretty clearly see him in the background there.  You may also be able to see him manning his station during the battle of Yavin as Tarkin watches on, but you can definitely see him in the scenes where Alderaan is destroyed.  You have to be quick/careful though to catch him as the camera doesn't stay on him much and if you don't have widescreen he's impossible to be seen.

The whole "Tarkin" story is something people at Rebelscum began making up too, I believe...  No offense Anton but they sorta make up their own stories to fit their own theories over there I've noticed...  "Don't like it?  Well hey I 'heard' it was all just a goof up and it was supposed to be Tarkin blabbity blah", kind of a thing.  That had no basis in reality other than it was some guy's fantasy that doesn't want to admit the outfit existed on-screen.

It actually was a pretty common technique for the military advisor(s) involved with Star Wars to use a uniform to denote a rank or station above/over another, rather than showing a colorful rank badge or whatnot.  In ANH there is a Rebel Technician (the one listening in on headset to the space battle) who wears a unique uniform to the other technicians denoting he is somehow "superior" over them.  The same concept carried over to other films as well (even ROTJ where an advisor was ultimately absent).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2008, 10:32 AM »
The whole vintage Tarkin figure thing, sure, what do I know? However, I do work in film and know a thing or two about lighting. I can say with 100% certainty that the guy pictured in that wide shot is wearing a black uniform. It just looks the way it does because of a combination of the quality of the fabric (the way it absorbs light) and the lighting design for this scene. Tarkin and this guy are also standing in different light sources. Tarkin's is screen left while the tech's is right above him. The guy from this screen grab is also not the same guy on the card.

The guy on the card is probably the guy manning the station screen right. He appears in both the decision to go to Alderan and the Alderan destruction scenes. While he doesn't have much screen time, the screen time he has isn't a slam dunk uniform-wise. In the establishing shot (from the angle of the screen grab-the destruction scene) his uniform does indeed look grey. However, in the reverse shot with the same guy in the background, his uniform is black and it's unlikely they switched uniforms. You'll notice that Vader's cape also looks grey from this angle in the decision to go to Alderan scene. Based on my 12 years of experience as a camera man working on film sets, I can say with absolute certainty that the uniforms were black. It's the intensity of light that makes the fabric look grey.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2008, 12:13 PM »
I've said similar things in the past in several discussions regarding the lighting, Anton.  My own credentials stem from working as a video shader in the television industry, which involves controlling the video signal levels of cameras that are part of a production.  Film lighting tends to be much more intense than television lighting, and I wouldn't be surprised if the primary lighting source shining down on the Death Star Trooper in that scene is a focused 2 K fresnel.  That's some serious lighting power.

I agree with Anton here.  It looks like there's a very strong lighting source directly above and behind the trooper manning that station.  And the shot from the vintage card has that same light washing down from above, mainly on the helmet, shoulders and arms.  Plus the cardback shot has an additional lighting source which is lighting up the DST's chest and face.  That light was probably part of the set piece.

I honestly think that given the lighting conditions involved we cannot make a definitive statement about the uniform color.  Lighting that strong will wash out any color, including black.  We would only have valid source material from the movie if said trooper had been lit similary to Tarkin and had dialogue or was featured as an active part of the scene.  Other valid source material would be a costume documentation photo of this specific actor.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:14 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback