Author Topic: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005  (Read 123922 times)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005
« Reply #1110 on: March 10, 2006, 12:38 PM »
It's not crazy logic, Goalies are at a Premium, I have the top one,You wanted him and  I want maximum value for him

Points are not points as Jeff pointed out, I could go and pick up a guy off waivers like Mike Sillinger who has only 3 points less than Gaborik.  Who could I pick up at Goalie?

Your logic smacks of sour grapes, sorry, and I will try and stay out of the cellar with Kipper leading the way with another shutout last night :-*

You have 5 goalies on your roster and only -10 games available to you so unless you have some master strategy to win the league, the trade was even, period.  There's no sour grapes bud.  My team is challenging for one of the top spots.  Your team is 10 points away from rock bottom, #1 goalie or not.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 10, 2006, 01:13 PM »
There's no sour grapes bud. My team is challenging for one of the top spots. Your team is 10 points away from rock bottom, #1 goalie or not.

So what, he should just give up?  If someone doesn't believe a trade will benefit himself, why would he go through with it?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: March 10, 2006, 01:18 PM »
So what are everyone's thoughts on planning for next season?  I think we need to go to a head-to-head format because looking at all the Yahoo leagues run here at JD, the point-based system is flawed each and every time.  I also think we need to cap the # of goalies each team can have.  I'm saying 3 max. 

Except maybe basketball.  I won last year and I'm second last this year.  I really don't see any big issues going on there.  Is rotisserie the answer?  Can it work for hockey?

I'm all for capping the number of goalies but I sure can't fault anyone here that's carrying lots.  They saw the problem and addressed it. Me?  I'm carrying de Vries on my roster as an extra defenseman ::)  Can't blame anyone for that, although I could reasonably ask what the heck is wrong with Atlanta?

I'm open to having the league run as head-to-head though I won't hide my preference for leagues run the way this one is.  I also will say that there are flaws with this one, no doubt about it, but I think those can be addressed in a number of ways:
- cap the number of goalies or simply reduce the active position to one goaltender, then the most you'd be able to carry was three anyway
- add a flex (or forward) and utility position for the skaters to allow for some freedom in your rotation (2 positions)
- reduce the number of players on each team's roster, maybe downwards to 15 or so
- change the point scheme, at least a little - I think 2 points for a win, -1 for a loss really changes the thinking for goaltenders and resolves many of the issues.  I don't want to add a goals against strategy because we've done that at our spawn league and even with only -0.5 pt per goal it's made goalies essentially useless.  
- I would like to add PIM, but at a sufficiently low point value that it doesn't override the skill aspect.  Again, the spawn league has 1 pt per PIM, goons rule.  I'd suggest 0.25 pts/PIM but even that might be high.  Oh and I'd like to point out that in the spawn league I have Bertuzzi and he's been useless under that strategy ::)
- I'd like to keep the number of defensemen positions at 3 or 4 players though, so not everyone loads up on forwards alone.  I think that's one positive aspect of this year's league.
- I'm not a fan of adding power play goals, power play assists or other modifiers like that.  We're having issues with those at spawn again.  

The funniest thing is the pool I run at work is the one with the least number of complaints: one goaltender, nine skaters, one bench position, one IR.  Simple, straight forward.  A point is a point, except for goalies: W=2, L=-1, SO = 3.  The only big strategies are picking up or dropping players.  No one's holding more than two goaltenders because of that minus stat, though lots of folks are holding two to get the max number of games.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: March 10, 2006, 01:35 PM »
There's no sour grapes bud. My team is challenging for one of the top spots. Your team is 10 points away from rock bottom, #1 goalie or not.

So what, he should just give up?  If someone doesn't believe a trade will benefit himself, why would he go through with it?

No, no Jesse.  I'm not saying throw in the towel by any means.  I'm just saying his logic regarding his #1 goalie is way off.  He's talking like Kipper is the key to his season, yet he'll be lucky to finish above 8th place.  He has 4 other goalies on his roster after having just picked up Roloson and the player I offered, Gaborik, would be one of his top point players and has more points than any of his RWs except Knuble (who has exactly 1 more point than Gabby.)  Value-wise it was an even offer (and trade for that matter) but he's acting as if I offered a 4th line checking C for him.  No bother though.  His logic shows why his team is in 9th place.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: March 10, 2006, 01:40 PM »
So what are everyone's thoughts on planning for next season?  I think we need to go to a head-to-head format because looking at all the Yahoo leagues run here at JD, the point-based system is flawed each and every time.  I also think we need to cap the # of goalies each team can have.  I'm saying 3 max. 

Except maybe basketball.  I won last year and I'm second last this year.  I really don't see any big issues going on there.  Is rotisserie the answer?  Can it work for hockey?

I'm all for capping the number of goalies but I sure can't fault anyone here that's carrying lots.  They saw the problem and addressed it. Me?  I'm carrying de Vries on my roster as an extra defenseman ::)  Can't blame anyone for that, although I could reasonably ask what the heck is wrong with Atlanta?

I'm open to having the league run as head-to-head though I won't hide my preference for leagues run the way this one is.  I also will say that there are flaws with this one, no doubt about it, but I think those can be addressed in a number of ways:
- cap the number of goalies or simply reduce the active position to one goaltender, then the most you'd be able to carry was three anyway
- add a flex (or forward) and utility position for the skaters to allow for some freedom in your rotation (2 positions)
- reduce the number of players on each team's roster, maybe downwards to 15 or so
- change the point scheme, at least a little - I think 2 points for a win, -1 for a loss really changes the thinking for goaltenders and resolves many of the issues.  I don't want to add a goals against strategy because we've done that at our spawn league and even with only -0.5 pt per goal it's made goalies essentially useless.  
- I would like to add PIM, but at a sufficiently low point value that it doesn't override the skill aspect.  Again, the spawn league has 1 pt per PIM, goons rule.  I'd suggest 0.25 pts/PIM but even that might be high.  Oh and I'd like to point out that in the spawn league I have Bertuzzi and he's been useless under that strategy ::)
- I'd like to keep the number of defensemen positions at 3 or 4 players though, so not everyone loads up on forwards alone.  I think that's one positive aspect of this year's league.
- I'm not a fan of adding power play goals, power play assists or other modifiers like that.  We're having issues with those at spawn again.  

The funniest thing is the pool I run at work is the one with the least number of complaints: one goaltender, nine skaters, one bench position, one IR.  Simple, straight forward.  A point is a point, except for goalies: W=2, L=-1, SO = 3.  The only big strategies are picking up or dropping players.  No one's holding more than two goaltenders because of that minus stat, though lots of folks are holding two to get the max number of games.  

I think head-to-head cuts out all the BS, personally.  It's very straight forward.  You just play a guy heads up each week.  You have a set # of categories that we can chose and whoever has the best number for each of those categories wins that category and wins a point.  So if my team scores 14 goals and Brent's scores 12, I win 1 point.  If I win 6 categories that week and Brent wins 1 and we tie the other, my record for the week is 6-1-1 and it accumulates like that all season.  We could do a 10 team league and have the top 6 make the playoffs with the top 2 seeds getting byes.  It then adds more excitement like the real NHL playoffs do.  Plus you don't have to worry about assessing a point value to each item like wins, losses, goals, etc. 

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: March 15, 2006, 01:45 PM »
I'd be sitting in second if not for the 5 points I've left on the bench the past 2 days (2 goals for Iginla, 3 points for Ovechkin.)  Damn cap!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: March 15, 2006, 03:54 PM »
No, you wouldn't.  Because I've had to make the same damn decisions as you have when I've had multiple centers playing.  I've had to choose between Elias/Spezza/Datsyuk/Horcoff.  You're in exactly the same boat as everyone else. 

But don't worry, you'll likely make it there eventually and Rob will probably pass me as well due to that damn cap.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: March 15, 2006, 05:33 PM »
I left Shanahan on the bench to the tune of 3 points the other day when I completely wanted to start him...I thought I had but obviously hadn't - and one of my defensemen that I had every intention of playing had a two point night on a day that I forgot to make the switch.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 15, 2006, 09:28 PM »
No, you wouldn't.  Because I've had to make the same damn decisions as you have when I've had multiple centers playing.  I've had to choose between Elias/Spezza/Datsyuk/Horcoff.  You're in exactly the same boat as everyone else. 

But don't worry, you'll likely make it there eventually and Rob will probably pass me as well due to that damn cap.

If you've got Spezza and Datsyuk, it's beyond me how you would start anyone else at C and burn those games.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 15, 2006, 10:28 PM »

If you've got Spezza and Datsyuk, it's beyond me how you would start anyone else at C and burn those games.

Well, Elias when he's been healthy has been pretty darn good, averaging over a point a game.  Horcoff is actually putting up nearly the same numbers as Spezza, though Spezza has been injured for about 14 games.  That would be why. 

Where I wasted games was on Atlanta.  Kovalchuk was fine, but other LW were wasted as I kept hoping they'd actually come out of a slump.  Had I done that, I'd have been able to move Spezza or Datsyuk instead of Kovy. 

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 17, 2006, 09:56 AM »
Vokoun has been lighting it up for me the past couple of games  ;D

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005 - League is Live!!
« Reply #1121 on: March 17, 2006, 03:25 PM »
52 points, 49 days left
61 points, 47 days left

63 points, 33 days left
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 18, 2006, 12:23 PM »
The battle for second is where it's at.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: March 18, 2006, 02:12 PM »
I made it into 6th place for ONE whole day before Mikey had an 8 point night to my 1 point.  It was fun while it lasted.  ;)

I shall return...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 21, 2006, 10:24 AM »
It would be wrong of me to complain about the cap because I left four points on the bench last night, right? :-X

Kozlov 2
Bondra 2

:-*