Author Topic: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005  (Read 124134 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005
« Reply #1125 on: March 21, 2006, 11:35 AM »
It would be wrong of me to complain about the cap because I left four points on the bench last night, right? :-X

Kozlov 2
Bondra 2

:-*

Tee hee.  ;D

« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 11:36 AM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 21, 2006, 12:45 PM »
It would be wrong of me to complain about the cap because I left four points on the bench last night, right? :-X

Kozlov 2
Bondra 2

:-*

Complain away my friend!   ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 21, 2006, 02:05 PM »
Oh sure, now you say that because you've passed me :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: March 21, 2006, 04:28 PM »
Oh sure, now you say that because you've passed me :P

Dude, I've hated the cap since day 2 so you know I'm not gonna stop someone from venting their frustration, lol.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 21, 2006, 09:40 PM »
True enough, you have been consistent ;)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005 - League is Live!!
« Reply #1130 on: March 24, 2006, 11:38 AM »
52 points, 49 days left
61 points, 47 days left
63 points, 33 days left

61 points, 26 days left
« Last Edit: April 7, 2006, 05:21 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: March 24, 2006, 12:09 PM »
All my goalies have decided to go on losing streaks.  NOT what I needed since it's the only place I have spare positions. 

Also not liking no mention of players not playing prior to games :-\

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: April 3, 2006, 12:34 PM »
So obviously next season is quite a ways off, but Jamie and I were talking last week about how we really need to get away from this points-based scoring and into a H2H league.  There is no excitement in our league right now.  A few of us are fighting it out for 2-4 but the league champ was decided so long ago that it really took the fun out of it for me.  Anyone else feel that way?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1133 on: April 3, 2006, 12:42 PM »
Why would H2H produce any different result, points are still points and if thats the way we were playing 9 times out of 10 Jeff would still be wininng more than the rest of the teams

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: April 3, 2006, 02:46 PM »
If you'll indulge me, I'll run the league both ways. 

I'm not sure I'd see much difference with H2H versus the current format (what Scott said) largely because of a couple of player surprises that have kept Jeff at the top.  Jagr being the biggest shock to me. 

But we do need some changes even then...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 3, 2006, 04:09 PM »
I'm not too interested in head-to-head matchups, but surely we can expand the points categories to make it much more interesting and adjust the scoring to limit the value of having good goaltending on your team.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1136 on: April 3, 2006, 04:17 PM »
A few of us are fighting it out for 2-4 but the league champ was decided so long ago that it really took the fun out of it for me.  Anyone else feel that way?

For some reason, I don't have any problems with the way things turned out this year...  :D

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 3, 2006, 07:44 PM »
Why would H2H produce any different result, points are still points and if thats the way we were playing 9 times out of 10 Jeff would still be wininng more than the rest of the teams

Well had anyone bothered to read my posts on the H2H format, you would see it would be dramatically different.  Let's say we have 10 teams in the league.  The top 6 make the playoffs with the top 2 teams getting 1st round byes.  Basically, any of those 6 teams can win the league from that point on because once the playoffs start, regular season means nothing really.  Sorry, but I fail to see how any hockey fan here cannot see the thrill in that.  You'd rather have a league decided in November than a league that literally goes down to the last day of the season? 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 3, 2006, 08:58 PM »
Yeah, in some respects I would.  For the last two years of fantasy football I've had pretty good teams that performed well.  But come the playoffs, I've had players sit and be rested or be injured, so the marginal teams striving for a playoff spot have players step up and then they end up finishing higher than my team that I managed all season?  Drafting from teams that are middle of the pack is more rewarding than putting effort into the team all season?  And in retrospect, yeah, it was decided then but did you know that in advance?  I sure didn't.

I'd like to try both.  I just see some merit in people winning or doing well that:

a)managed their team well through the season
b)drafted well

Jeff's winning for a couple of reasons, mostly relating to whom he drafted:

I sure didn't expect Jagr to do what he did and I'll go out on a limb and say no one else did or he would have been drafted much sooner.

Boston trading Thornton to San Jose went a long way to revitalizing him this year, didn't see that coming either.

Jeff figured out the goalie situation early and played it well, most of us did not.  I think Jeff also had fewer losses to injuries than most of us.

If you add those up, I think Jeff deserves to win and why diminish that?

I think the battle for second through fourth/fifth is pretty interesting.  It won't be settled for a while, probably until the last game of the season.  How's that bad.  I think we could definitely obtain a different result by a H2H league for sure, especially if different guys get sat towards the end of the season or different guys get hot.  Sure, it gives others a shot to win, but why doesn't Jeff deserve to win this pool?
« Last Edit: April 3, 2006, 09:40 PM by Morgbug »

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: April 3, 2006, 10:13 PM »
But that's just it Brent.  How in any way does it diminsh what Jeff did?  But in the same respect, how is it fun for anyone else knowing that 1 guy dominated all season and wrapped up the league title last calendar year?  I've played fantasy sports for a long time and people always bale when someone is that far ahead.  The fun is gone and isn't it supposed to be fun?  I'm a huge proponent of playoffs (especially in college football, but that's another matter) and I think most real sports fans here are in favor of it because it means any team can win.  Wouldn't you rather see the teams in your league fighting for a playoff spot instead of fighting to see who gets to proclaim their team #5??  Honestly, I won't do a points league again.  I really enjoyed being in a league with you guys, but every JD league I've done has had issue and it stems from being points based leagues.  There's no fair way to run it.  H2H is the only way to make it even and fun and if everyone decides to keep it at a points league, I'm gonna bow out.