Author Topic: Storing Loose Figs  (Read 33592 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: Storing Loose Figs
« Reply #30 on: June 3, 2005, 02:40 PM »
I have maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of my figures in a Rubbermaid tub; the rest are scattered on shelves, my computer desk, stacks of books, and so on. Most are just strewn without rhyme or reason, but one bookshelf has a fairly organized Clone Wars display on stepped plastic mini-shelves (so the ones in the rear can look over the heads of the ones in front).
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 1, 2005, 01:51 AM »
I found something kinda cool for storing loose figures -- picked them up at Wal-Mart.  They are open-front, stackable tackle boxes with removable cases that slide in and out.  You can slide 4 cases into the front of the tackle box, and the cases are basically just PLANO 3700-type cases.

What's nice is you can stack these things (or even hang them from a wall, they have holes for that) and you're still able to slide out the cases on the very bottom.  Really convienent, and the cases hold most figures, except the really large or action-posed ones.  Probably much like the Plano cases.  And the tackle boxes have handles too.

They're like 15 bucks each and in the Fishing section of Wal-Mart.  There are two sizes -- the blue ones are the larger ones that I use, and then there are smaller ones that won't fit figures -- these are black or maroon, can't remember.

I'll try to post pictures, but if you're in a Wal-mart, check them out.  They really made my life easier with all these loose figures.  I just have 2 tackle boxes (8 cases/128 figures) for each movie, and 2 for EU.  Works GREAT, and might be a little easier to deal with than just loose plano cases.  Hell, the plano cases might actually slide into these things, I don't know. 

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2005, 11:54 PM »
Have any of you guys who use the tackle boxes ever found the plastic to interact with your figures? Has there ever been any discoloring or figs getting stuck to the case in heat, or anything?

I'm thinking of getting some of those for loose figs that I need to store. I used to keep a bunch of loose figs bagged in ziplocs and stored in a plastic container, but I'd like to go with something that has individual compartments. I have way too many figs now to be piling them on each other in a big box. That's a recipe for disaster with all those delicate guys like battle droids and whatnot.

I thought I'd ask about any problems because I've heard people complain about certain plastics. I know one guy posted about wrapping some of his 12" figs in bubble wrap and said it turned R2-D2 yellow! I about **** when I read that and started worrying about all the ones I had in ziplocs. So far I don't think I've had any problems, though. One or two figs from the mid '90s seem to be a bit sticky, but I don't know if it's enough to blame the baggies....

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2005, 09:05 PM »
Ook, the only things I have ever had a problem with as far as plastic reactions in the Plano cases had more to do with the figures and their accessories than they did the storage medium.

I've had my figures in Planos since around the time of the 2002 AOTC product launch, and the only figures who have had adverse reactions are the following:

-Episode I Chancellor Valorum (paint on staff sticks to the figure)
-Episode I Qui-Gon Jinn (Naboo) (paint on cloak sticks to saber)
-Saga Deluxe Obi-Wan Kenobi (Kamino Showdown) (lightsaber hilt paint sticks to robe)

Other than that, I can't tell any reactions have taken place.  I have read about Episode I era figures with painted accessories having this "stickiness" problem in general, so I doubt that has anything to do with the cases.  As for the Saga Obi-Wan, I don't know.  As always, it's really difficult to say as to how they will be in there long-term, but as yet, I've had no problems from them and it's much more convenient than digging through stacks of bags to find a figure too.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2005, 11:17 PM »
Thanks for the input.

SilverZ

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2005, 12:51 AM »
I've meant to do an update in here but just haven't put the information together until now...

Target is carrying a new Plano-style utility case in their housewares section. Its roughly the same size but a tad deeper, while only being 3 compartments wide. What it gives you is a case that more easily accomodates action-posed figures or slightly oversized sculpts. They're 5.99 if I remember correctly.

Here's a comp next to the Plano case:

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2005, 09:04 AM »
Those look cool, Jared.  While the 3750 has worked for me as far as larger figures go, they do present some problems from time to time and the more I use them, the less happy I'm becoming with them.  These might be a good solution for the larger figures and, in particular, the Clone Wars animated figures, which are easily the most difficult figures to store due to the lack of articulation.

Thanks for the heads-up!  :)

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: November 7, 2005, 11:46 AM »
i store my vintage figs in ziplock bags, they are stored by category (armyuilders, vintage, modern) in A4 paper boxes
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #38 on: November 7, 2005, 12:14 PM »
My loose figs… Vintage through VOTC (ROTS line won't fit)

Soon I'll be adding 2 Ikea bookshelves into the mix to spread out the figures a little and give them some breathing room…

Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2005, 05:06 PM »
Nice display jjb.  Awfully compact space for a ton of figures, that's for sure. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2005, 04:25 AM »
This thread is kicking me in gear to get back to my shelving and get my butt to Target for some of those cases you have there Jared.  I really need to start widdling crap down that I just don't really want displayed (not right now anyway) like the POTF2 figures.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2005, 07:14 PM »

That's a nice unit. What are the dimensions? Got a model number or URL for a site?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2005, 07:21 PM »
I bought it years ago from a HOM Furniture store for around $150.00.

Dimensions: 26" x 12" x 72"

It originally came with 5 glass shelves but I went to my local glass shop and added 4 more.

I'm using the case now for my Unleashed figures (the big ones), since I am in process of setting up new shevling units from IKEA for the 3.75" line.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 07:22 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2005, 12:10 AM »

Here was my stuff the way it was for a few long long months :)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 3, 2006, 11:12 AM »
I'm thinking about getting some of these plano boxes.  How many loose figures can you fit in each one (assuming standard figures and now squishing them too much).  I've got most of my figures big rubbermaid tubs and I'm worried about the long term squish factor.