Author Topic: JD Fantasy Basketball 2005  (Read 40103 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: JD Fantasy Basketball 2005
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2005, 11:11 PM »
Hmmm....I think last year we had % instead of Totals...really FG, FT and Points are all going to be the same while % is a little more selective

edit:
Now that I think about it, % would make more sense for FT for sure since not everyone goes to the line all the time...

How about leaving total point alone and making the others % instead?

« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 11:14 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2005, 11:12 PM »
Fine with me I guess...I vote %

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2005, 11:14 PM »
I am 99% sure we can't change it now that we've drafted.  Considering I based my picks on Made instead of % (which is the way Jeff said it would be set up), I'd say we stick with Made (which is probably a moot point anyway).

John

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2005, 11:16 PM »
Also of note...I don't really care either way to be honest, I just thought it was the same as last year is all.  It is ****** to change after the draft

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2005, 11:16 PM »
OK, let's just leave it as is then...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2005, 11:17 PM »
That's the same as last year's set up with the rotisserie.  I'm in favor of that.  % please.

Doing FG and FT AND points is sort of absurdly redundant, isn't it?  Aren't field goals points?

Did anyone really draft a guy based on the fact he goes to the line a lot?  I'd be surprised at that.  And if so, how many guys did you do it with? 

So you end up with most points being a result of field goals (twos and threes) adding up to points.  Without the % being factored in you've taken two identical categories to make a third.  Points is just the sum of twos and threes.  With percentage you have three unique categories.  [/he]

I can understand changes before a season.  I just can't imagine someone's draft strategy was so focused as to be really upset at the change.  Explain to me what players you purposely avoided when it came to your turn because you didn't factor in percentage :-\
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 11:26 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2005, 11:34 PM »
Just a few thoughts here, and you guys can take it or leave it because it doesn't really mean squat to me anyhow:

1.  Shaquille O' Neal - If FT% is the category, he KILLS your team.  He takes so many shots at a 45% clip that no amount of 80% FT shooters can help your team recover.  Big difference between FT and FT% there.  If the category if FT Made, he is a top 20 pick again because of his REB/PTS/BLK/FG% prowess.

2.  Kyle Korver - 3's vs. 3 % Made - If the category is 3's, he is a top 50 draft pick.  If the category is 3%Made, he is undraftable.

3.  Kobe Bryant - If FT% is a category, ho hum.  If FT Made is the category, BOOM!  His value shoots through the roof.  Same phenomenon with Iverson.

The categories we used last year were:

FG%
FT%
3's Made
Assists
Blocked shots
Steals
Turnovers
Total Rebounds
Total Points

I could swear this league had these listed when it was first created on page 1.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2005, 11:39 PM »
The Shaq argument is essentially my point - if you don't use percentage his ranking goes through the roof and unrealistically so.  Yeah, great player and all but he's always sucked from the line.  You shouldn't simply erase that fact.  If you do, he's a top five pick easy.  He didn't go in the top five. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2005, 09:13 AM »
I can kind of see that point too, regarding Shaq, etc.  But, like was mentioned, we already drafted so maybe some people would be upset with any changes.  It doesn't matter to me either way, whatever everyone thinks is best.  I thought the draft went nice and smooth (and quick) last night, good job everyone.  I had to step away and missed some of my picks, so I got a couple of players (Marvin Williams in particular) a little higher than I would have normally taken them.  Oh well though, that's what happens.  Good luck to everyone on the upcoming season.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2005, 10:20 AM »
FG%
FT%
3's Made
Assists
Blocked shots
Steals
Turnovers
Total Rebounds
Total Points

I could swear this league had these listed when it was first created on page 1.

Well, those categories were used in the original (now defunct league) started by Dressel.  When I created my league, the other one was still in existance. 

I thought I would change the settings a bit to differentiate the two leagues so they weren't just carbon copies of each other.   Hence, the switch to points made (not %) and the split between O-Reb and D-Reb. 

When the first league folded, leaving this league the only league, my settings (points made) were never changed to match Dressel's (%).

I can assure you that I have not monkeyed with the settings since the original post. 

One of these years we will have to learn to have everyone actually read the rules before the draft so this stuff doesn't always pop up.   :-X   :P

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2005, 10:23 AM »
It's my own fault, but I didn't realize there was a difference and I drafted thinking more along last year's lines.

Whatever you guys all want is fine with me, I have no idea how this would affect my team one way or the other.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2005, 10:31 AM »

Well, those categories were used in the original (now defunct league) started by Dressel.  When I created my league, the other one was still in existance. 

I thought I would change the settings a bit to differentiate the two leagues so they weren't just carbon copies of each other.   Hence, the switch to points made (not %) and the split between O-Reb and D-Reb. 

When the first league folded, leaving this league the only league, my settings (points made) were never changed to match Dressel's (%).

I can assure you that I have not monkeyed with the settings since the original post. 

One of these years we will have to learn to have everyone actually read the rules before the draft so this stuff doesn't always pop up.   :-X   :P

That's fair enough.  I'll just watch the categories as they are and live with it.  I just find it a bit silly to have categories that really are duplicates of themselves.  I also believe basketball should actually involve skill and ability, not just hurling the ball as many times as humanly possible.  But I suppose that's why I watch college on tv and not the NBA. 

I'll leave it alone.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2005, 10:39 AM »
The Shaq argument is essentially my point - if you don't use percentage his ranking goes through the roof and unrealistically so. 

Whew, Ben Wallace too.  With these current settings, you'd have lost to me by a lot last year Brent.  It is Shaq and Wallace's FT% that lost it for me.  As it stands right now they can shoot their 40% from the line, take as many shots at that percentage as the "Hack a Shaq" opposing defenses can muster, and it won't matter at all.

As it stands right now with "FG Made" and "Total Points" you basically have replica categories.

You have got to have FG% and FT%, but you guys already drafted so that's a very sticky situation.

Kobe Bryant in particular gets a huge lift from these categories.  "FG Made" gives him a big boost, whereas "FG%" usually kept him in check.  He takes among the most shots in the league.  Also "FT%" used to keep him in check over "FT Made," because he goes to the line a TON. 

Kobe is the most valuable player in this league, right there with LeBron, and now Shaq is a top 5 pick too.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2005, 10:57 AM »
Yep, I agree Matt.  You'd have cleaned my clock last year.  It probably would have dropped me down to third or lower in fact.  As I said, I think percentages matter.  At the same time though, we could go into the 3 category and argue that either way as well.  I really benefited last year from having Q. Richardson.  Had the 3 category been % based last year I probably wouldn't have done as well as I did because of him. 

I was humming and hawing on Kobe because I drafted number four.  Unfortunately I didn't read the stats/rules for this league otherwise I would have taken the rapist.  Oh well, here's hoping Dwayne Wade isn't too worried about anything other than firing up the brick as much as humanly possible.  Also hoping for Shaq/Kobe/Wallace to go down fairly quickly.  But I was hoping that regardless of how the stats were set up.

And I'm predicting Stoudemire will be back just after Christmas :P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2005, 11:09 AM »
All right, so the official decision is to stick with it as "points made" instead of %.

If it is of any use to you, my local gang use "made" instead of "%" in our NBA league.  The low-brow NBA fans in my circle of friends like scoring and lots of it.  They don't care if someone's shooting percentage is 30% if he's scoring 50 points a night.   :P

Anyway, there a total duplication between FG Made and Total Points as you'd initially think.  Sure, they are very closely linked, but if you use the FT Made and 3PT category listings to your advantage, you can make up for a weak FG scorer or two.

It will make the league a bit different and hey - if we all hate it then we will learn to never never never try it again.   :-[