Author Topic: Quittin' RS Customs Board  (Read 12962 times)

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
Re: Quittin' RS Customs Board
« Reply #15 on: December 6, 2005, 01:43 PM »
I've noticed it here already that there's a few spelling and grammatically challenged newbs.

I tak issew w/that b/c i lik 2 spll gud & nobuddie's purfekt and i lik to mayk kustumz and I lik 2 eet hamburgerz lol help w/a custum figeurpleez!...?

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #16 on: December 6, 2005, 02:16 PM »
Owen, I agree with your concern about abandoning the forum altogether, but getting into a "shouting match" with a noob isnt the answer, casue that is what will happen if you try to " set them straight".

Ignoring them is the best solution, but it's the fact that you have to even be bothered by it at all.

I dont mind critisizm, at all( i went thru architecture school and thats all you get there), and you cant and wont please everyone, but its the other stuff that make it hard to want to keep going back for more nonsense.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 6, 2005, 03:51 PM »
Im mostly going to put my customs up there just to see the stupid, incoherent, one word replies and the occasional nice one, and everyone I know that puts up a nice one is someone over here. I mean, look at this:

Great job ?? There's not even any puncuation, for Pete's sake!

And then there's this:

I like it - the weathering and battle damage on the ship are extremely well done. Looks very heavy and believable if this is a downed/heavily battle scarred ship

The paintjob shows eveidence of good techniques - do you have a military modelling background? I did and it helps with weathering etc

Good work dude!

There's such a huge difference between some of the replies/ users over there. This is definitely a better place.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #18 on: December 6, 2005, 07:45 PM »
rebelscum has become a pit and im not going to ffurg that often anymore because somepeople are heading over there from rs so this is my new home it makes me aggravated when this kind of stuff happens at sites that have good intent.

Offline JediDre

• Jedi Initiate
  • Fine barn it be, but no pool it tis.
    • View Profile
    • The LWWF...we don't care.
« Reply #19 on: December 6, 2005, 08:18 PM »
I can remember my first years of internet access...scouring the web for anything entertaining.  I remember typing 'Star Wars' into Webcrawler's search engine and coming across a neat page by this Phllip Wise guy.  It was dedicated to his love of Star Wars, and collecting of Star Wars memorabilla.  I was hooked, it brought me back to my love of toys.  Then I stumbled upon the customizing section.  I was addicted then.  My first custom was a Han in stormtrooper armor, not the hardest thing in the world, but we all started somewhere.  Now my wife looks at me like I'm crazy.  I have shelves of figures, many of which have been 'altered' in some way.  It's sad to see such a great web page go from a grass roots style to being over run by the unmatured, and unmannered.  I only recently started posting on Scum, and have just today signed up here, but I too feel change is good.  Even if it is 10 years or so in the making.

Just my random ramblings for now...

Dre
« Last Edit: December 6, 2005, 09:52 PM by JediDre »
I find her attractive because she's a clinet and she sleeps above the covers....FOUR FEET above the covers!!

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 6, 2005, 08:27 PM »
Guys I know I've been away for a little while, But has it really gotten that bad? Ive apparantly missed a lot in the last 3 months. :(

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 6, 2005, 08:46 PM »
Yeah. These users that don't know how to spell or type coherent sentences are usually criticsizing (sp.?) everyone's work and not really leave any substantail comments. JD's definetly the best place to go.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #22 on: December 6, 2005, 09:39 PM »
Guys I know I've been away for a little while, But has it really gotten that bad? Ive apparantly missed a lot in the last 3 months. :(

As much as I hate to say it, yes, yes it has. Scum has been going downhill for a while. I've tried to actually communicate with the admins about these problems and ways to maybe change them, and I never got any replies, just read reciepts. I'm not someone who constantly is trying to change things either; I've only sent 5 or so to the admins this year. For instance, this is what happened today:

I sent a PM to an administrator offering suggestions and some changes that need to be made. I sent a PM almost exactly like this one 2 months ago and never  got a response, just a read reciept. Guess what happened this time? That's right, read reciept and no response. I'm pissed because I put a lot of thought and effort into the PMs I sent. Each PM was pretty long, with around 10 or so paragraphs. I was very cordial and didn't say anything critical of him or Rebelscum at all, just some suggestions of things that need to be changed. What makes me even angrier is that I don't think the admin even read it because of its length; a minute later (it would have taken more than a minute to read) the admin was making a reply in a thread that was completely off topic than the one I sent him. I've been there for over 3 years and have, IMHO, been a good productive member there, so to just sort of ignore what I had to say is rude.
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 6, 2005, 10:13 PM »
Well, I see what you guys mean now, I just got off RS, Gave a couple of people a peice of my mind too. After seeing all that Ive got half a mind to quit myself.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 6, 2005, 11:47 PM »
Well, I know some people are pretty frustrated with it there.  And it's not just the customizing community, most of the elder members from this site have issues with RS.  I want to still try and stay out of it and I'm sure there are people on both sides that are somewhat angry at me for that.  My post over there was to try and keep the customizing section there fun.

:P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: December 7, 2005, 12:50 AM »
I think no matter what, RS is going to be THE forums for SW and if you guys just cut and run because of idiot newbies you're only doing  a disservice to yourself. 

Why?

Because there's more people there than other sites?  That's not quality, it's quantity, and while that can prove to be a valuable "resource" as opposed to a real "community" that has nothing to do with it being anything "premiere" to me personally...  I'd sooner have fewer people see what I had to say but know that I respected those people, than to have more people see what I have to say and know that 85 - 90% of them will be responses I wasted my time reading.  To me that's just a popularity contest for those who want people to see their work more than they want valuable input on their work or to build a real friendship with anyone they talk to. 

If you want substance, Rebelscum was NEVER the place to go to until Philip took the Bounty Hunter Collective out from under Mike Sullenger during their merger with Collect Star Wars.  Scum had no forum activity till that point, and from there on out it was another man's work that was basically taken from him.  Hardly anything I hold in high regard.

My first customizing experience was with the Forgotten Force Customizing ListServer...  THAT was a valuable community, but it was wholely separate of Rebelscum.com proper, but instead was just a mailing list full of useful users, useful content, and good conversation...  until...  Basically like everything else Rebelscum touches it turned to lead instead of gold.

There was no moderation, there was no structure, there was no real guidelines or rules that people were held to for the listserver, and subsequently as customizing grew as a hobby that listserver fell apart in disarray with every new poster.  It became a place where good customizing conversation was nye on impossible, and people who didn't want to find a forum home took over the listserver as their personal conversation platform about all topics.  It killed it, but fortunately www.FFURG.com have taken the intiative to make a single customizing community for all, it's just that all don't take the time to be a part of said community alongside their other net travels.  It could only help everyone though.

Rebelscum lets the same disarray that happens in all facets of their forums take place in the customizing area, so that to me isn't something I personally want to be a part of.  The good people there deserve better than to have an essentially lawless discussion area for their hobby.  You shouldn't have to "just ignore" the newbies, they should be dealt with and taught how to behave with proper "netiquette".  That's how we handle things and we've found our members appreciate that and the site grows subsequently.

I've noticed a lot of people are claiming to move exclusively here but if you do that the idiots are going to just follow you.  I've noticed it here already that there's a few spelling and grammatically challenged newbs.  You're all better off just taking a stand at RS.

Oh please Owen, don't compare this section's couple of "new" members to Rebelscum's.  That's hardly fair, and we actually handle "newbs/newbies" or whatever they may be referred to with due action.  I can't say that happens at Scum, nor is it ever worried about much.  If the problems follow anyone here, they'll be dealt with, and certainly people "flaming" or trolling over here are dealt with straight away.  All it needs is a mention to one of the staff incase we didn't notice it already, and problems will be solved according to the problem being reviewed.

That's not to say that if you want to be at Rebelscum we care one way or the other either.  You can go to Rebelscum and stay, or visit both, or whatever...  But much like people mentioning ANYTHING to do with JediDefender.com there (even in passing reference)  isn't going to be tolerated at Scum anymore, I can safely say that telling people to blatantly flat out NOT come to JD on our own site because it's "not in their best interests" isn't going to be tolerated much here either, so let that be just a simple warning.

If you don't appreciate the site here though at JediDefender.com, that's fine by us really because it's often just a matter of tastes and we still hope anyone visits even if it's not their only site they frequent.  We appreciate the people from all sites who visit our customizing forums (and forums in general) to display their wares equally, but considering the activity levels here, the moderating, and the level of interest in quality we take with our forums, we feel we do offer the better community.

And, this is a little pet peeve of mine.  If a newbie poster (or anyone for that matter) puts forth a badly spelled or incoherent post, don't reply!  Just let it hang there like the piece of nonsense it is.

Shouldn't it be a bigger pet peeve to have someone who actually cares step in and tell the new person to straighten up or fly right?  Perhaps it's our attention towards building a more adult-focused community that makes us care about the quality of posters here as opposed to those at other sites, but isn't that something beneficial to a largely adult community/niche aspect of the Star Wars hobby?

And this is true throughout our forums...  Our collecting portions of our modern, vintage, and various other aspects of our forums are filled with a more mature, adult edge to them.  We take our members seriously, we take our forum seriously, and we want you to have a fun experience here at JediDefender.com...  We don't want you to just have to ignore the "kids" or "newbs", but instead we hope they grow into mature posters or they'll just not last here long at all. 

In many respects, while we do have a more open nature here at our site and a laid back atmosphere of strong friendships throughout our forums, we also rule here with an iron fist when the need does arise.  That's because this is our home, and your home, and we want it treated with respect in all ways because that reflects on us directly.  Over yonder though, that's an afterthought at best honestly.

I've always liked the customs you have made Owen, and I think you have valuable customizing input, but in the grand scheme of things I think your logic about why you should stay at a site that is so far downhill is flawed at best.  There's no law that says other communities are incapable of becoming what you actually want them to be instead of waiting on a community you are already at to turn into something that it isn't.  Closing your ears to problems doesn't make them go away at all, and it doesn't make a community thrive and grow in a healthy way.  That's what authority figures are for at forums, to keep the ship straight basically and avert danger.

This customizing community has made huge leaps, and not by my hand, or Jeff's, or Dave's, or Jesse's...  It's made huge leaps because of you guys being active here.  The same activity you can bring anywhere else within the JediDefeneder.com forums if you want.  We are just here making sure these forums stay positive for you guys, and we obviously take note of the conversation in here to make sure everything's going smoothly...  I say if you want to make this your home, we welcome you with open arms of course, but we also welcome those of you who have the respect to visit other sites too... 

At the same time though, if you aren't happy somewhere turning your senses off to the problems isn't going to fix anything or make your community better, nor is fighting and argument.  If your needs aren't met, I do find that it's time to look for a new home.  I did that a long time ago, and I found this place...  It's my cup of tea, and I drink up quite happily every bit I'm here.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: December 7, 2005, 12:54 AM »
Owen- You bring up some good points, but I have to disagree with you. I tried to stick it out there for a while. RS was the place I learned how to customize. I think the very first customs I saw were in a ToyFare magazine years ago, Pre-Episode 1 days. I really never got online when I was younger but about 3 years ago I just randomly did a google search for Star Wars custom figures and ended Up at Scum. The first thing I saw was a really neat Desert Swoop and Imperial Rider. I immediately joined and slowly picked up on the techniques. I know I had some of the same Noob questions, everyone is one at somepoint. But I at least tried to post them coherently. Even when a few bad members started joining, the custom section there was a haven of sorts. It was a great group of guys who could just talk about customizing. That was back when Tony Rice (Scoundrel), Sarlacc Pit, Phruby, CHEWIE, Glassman6, and a lot of the others were around. There was usually a great new custom up everyday from at least one of them. I do miss that, but those days are long gone as some of the older member left.

As this year began, (even towards the midway point of last year) TONS, of people started joining because it was a movie year. Which isn't necassarily bad, but they all suffered from a severe case of retarded. Even now there are still some good people and dicussions there (from what I've heard from Lance and Justin anyways) but I got tired of sorting through piles of crap to find the one or two decent posts. I ignored that kind of stuff the best I could for a while. But eventually I started trying to coorect the newbies, I think I had even started a thread like Justin's at one point. It ended up getting me a warning from the staff.  

As bad as the membership has gotten it was problems with the staff that sent me packing. I'm sure that most of you have at least heard of the spamming incident that occured back in late March. I had never recieved a spam message from any of the other sites I am a member at so it was a little annoying that Philip would do that. That was all it was, though, just annoying. Jason (CorranHorn) started a thread in their feedback section just innocently asking what was up with that. He said it politely and didn't make a huge deal about it. A couple other people including myself agree with him. In response Big Phil told us that he was the webmaster and it was his site so he could do whatever he wanted. Someone told how crappy of an attitude that was when he pulled a comment out of his ass that was just as bad as GNT's "I'm God. Deal with it." He told everyone to "get a life and move on." Any feedback thread that is remotely critical of RS is locked and deleted without question. After that little incident Philip and Justin banned all the JD staff members from RS. For no reason. CHEWIE was also banned, on accident, but he was still banned. I started a thread on how ridiculous I though that was, apparently it lasted for all of 20 or 30 minutes before it was deleted and I was banned too. And then ther is the recent change in their views on scalping. They used to enfore the "collect to collect" motto, but recently they have almost been encouraging scalping. They are doing nothing to stop it in their classifieds and it is getting to be more of a problem. There are also the members in the customs section that just use it as a place to advertise their work that is on ebay. I don't remember that being a problem at all in my earlier days, and it hasn't been here. There are so many things wrong with that place now that I'm sick of dealing with it.

I think no matter what, RS is going to be THE forums for SW and if you guys just cut and run because of idiot newbies you're only doing  a disservice to yourself.

Owen I've got to disagree with that. I am enjoying myself much more now than I ever did there. There is no point in staying at thatkind of place when a much better one exists. Sure there are some members here that have grammar bad enough that it rivals the majority of RS these days, but you are going to find that anywhere. I have made more friends here in the past 8 months than I did my entire time at RS. It is a much more close knit group over here and there are fewer "bad" members.

I kind of miss the RS of old, but I have to say that I really am much happier here and I have no intentions of going back.

Justin, no one minds that you are rying to remain civil and neutral on the issue. I can't say for sure but aren't most of the good posters in the customs section there members here as well? I know there are a few who are strictly Scummers, like New_Bornlax, I really enjoyed his stuff, and wish he posted here. I'll shut up now I guess. :P

Jesse it always sucks following one of your essays BTW, I guess I can't type fast enough. Cause I started before your's was up.  :P
« Last Edit: December 7, 2005, 01:01 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
« Reply #27 on: December 7, 2005, 01:58 AM »
Wow. Guys, I really didn't mean to precipitate a big thing here... I was just sayin'...

Now go look at my update and give me some ideas! Let's get back to business! :)

Offline Owen D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Owens Customs
« Reply #28 on: December 7, 2005, 01:48 PM »
I can safely say that telling people to blatantly flat out NOT come to JD on our own site because it's "not in their best interests" isn't going to be tolerated much here either, so let that be just a simple warning.

If you don't appreciate the site here

Ok.  No biggie.
Not that I ever posted here much to begin with (the orange on blue text style really messes with my eyes, giving me a weird 3D effect) but I'm outta here.  Later, OJD
« Last Edit: December 7, 2005, 02:42 PM by Owen D »
Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
« Reply #29 on: December 7, 2005, 02:06 PM »
Ok, not that I ever posted here much to begin with (the orange on blue test style really messses with my eyes, giving me a weird 3D effect) but I'm outta here.  Later, OJD

Well, that sucks...  :(