Author Topic: Re: Brent's Customs - Updated 11/7 Kubrick Diorama  (Read 93013 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Brent's Customs - Updated 4/19 - New Photo of Old Custom
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2006, 08:32 PM »
Nice new pic Brent, it's cool seeing them together as it recreates the cartoon scene.

:)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Brent's Customs - Updated 4/20 - Need some help!
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2006, 01:20 AM »
Okay friends, your colorblind customizer needs some help.  I'm working on a female character and I'm struggling big time with hair color.

I started thinking maybe blond so I laid down some yellow, then I hit with a dark flesh wash to tone it down and then hit it with more of a light brown wash.  So now, I think it looks terrible and I'm looking for some advice.

So my question to you, how bad does this look and what could I do to fix it?  I'd hate to just default to black but thats the direction I'm definitely leaning  ::)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 01:21 AM by BrentS »

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
Re: Brent's Customs - Updated 4/20- Need some help!
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2006, 04:20 AM »
HI Ya Brent

Mate the best way I find to do blond hair is this way.

1- paint the hair completely white.
2- give it a wash of watered down khaki
3- then a 2 part mix of watered down white and khaki
3- and finally a very very very light drybrush of flat white.

Hope this works out

Ron

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2006, 07:29 AM »
Hemble's the master of realistic paint apps, so I default to his judgement. That's the best way to get it to look realistically blonde.

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2006, 10:50 AM »
That's a very realistic looking red-head you've got there, BrentS ;)

Seriously, I don't know if it's just the photo (or my monitor), but it's like she's got dark, brownish-red hair with fiery highlights.

If you were interested in keeping her as a red-head, (please?) I'd just touch up the underside of the hair.

But for blond, i've never had any luck using Yellow for blond.... Hemble's plan sounds pretty smart - and I've got to agree w/ DD's take on him & his work!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 11:38 PM by PenDragon »

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Jawa Junkpile Customs @theJawa.com
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2006, 04:27 PM »
If you are going back to blonde then follow Hemble, but me, I've always liked redheads! :-P

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Brent's Customs - Updated 4/22- Two New Customs
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2006, 10:49 PM »
Hemble (and others) thanks for the help.  I tried to follow some of Hemble's recipe but I modified it a bit more to give her some more brown color.  Here is the finished custom:

Aleena Tyrazika - She is the daughter of a wealthy aristocrat living on Coruscant.  I hope to use her in an upcoming chapter of the Photonovel

I was very excited about this custom but I'm not so sure I'm pleased with the results.

Here is the recipe:
Face - cast copy of a female face from my fodder collection (thanks to AdamSolo).  I think its Zam Wessel.
Hair - Agen Kolar hair piece with added greenstuff on bangs and down her right side
Upper Body and Arms - ROTS Luminara
Belt - ROTS Shaak Ti
Belt accessory - cut of piece from the Saga2 Gonk droid hat
Skirt and Legs - ROTS Mon Mothma (thats what's under a Rebelous Senators gown)
Cape - also from my fodder collection.  Pretty sure its a POTF Leia cape.

The problems I have with this custom are the arms, face, and hair.  I tried to use "Fair Maiden" for the skin tones but I think they may be too pale.  I was hoping to pass off Luminara's arms as bare but I'm not sure its working :) The hair, well I did the best I could.  I think its okay but still not great.

Custom #2 - Darth Plagueis the Wise.  I've had him finished for quite some time but I wanted to wait and debut him in the Photonovel.  So here are some cropped shots from his appearance in the Duel of the Sith

Recipe:
Head and Hands - Army of Darkness Deadite
Torso and Robe - General Dodonna
Arms and Legs - Agen Kolar
Mask - Cast version of the GI Joe Imperial Procession.  I added sculpt to the mask and made a resin copy which was dremmel out and repainted.

I'm hoping to finish up one or two more WIPs tonight.  If so I'll have one more update.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 10:50 PM by BrentS »

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2006, 06:21 AM »
Mate the hair looks excellent sandy brown by the looks of it and it suits her really well and she is a fine looking custom, I like it.

Darth Plagueis the Wise- Great use of body parts especially the head and the mask is really well done adds so much character to the figure 2 BIG THUMBS UP.

Ron

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2006, 10:51 PM »
Thanks Ron!  I'm still not convinced that I like the painting on Aleena, however I appreciate your thumbs up :)

Incidently, I went to the Chicagoland Antique Toy and Doll show today.  Star Wars items are huge draw at this show.  Here is a shot of the loot I picked up:

I probably paid around eBay value on most items no real steals.  I ended up with two of the EU Cloud Cars so I may make one them available for a trade.    I may use one of them for a the vehicle custom being bandied about. I picked up a few figures for some customs (Prune face = new version of Hamma Gringol).  I got two J'Quilles for for $8 total so I was pleased with that.  I didn't feel like I could pass up Slave Leia and Amanaman for $10 total.  I got a really cool Japanese looking figure that I think will make cool Jedi Knight custom.  The theed playset has a lot of nice options for use in PN work.  All in all about $100 worth of stuff.  Wife's not pleased but my son and I had a good time  ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 10:56 PM by BrentS »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2006, 11:51 AM »
Great haul at the show Brent.   :)

Liking your latest customs and sorry I haven't had much time to comment lately.  The female looks good, don't be hard on yourself.  And your Plageuis is just scary, the mask really sets him apart - great work!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2006, 12:25 AM »
Thanks for the comments Chewie - I still don't like the way the arms came out on that figure.  But as you know, we are always are own hardest critic.

I found some time to finish up a Work in Progress.  Jedi Master Ty-Ri Docosto(renamed):

This may be one of my most favorite customs to date.  Nothing too fancy but I was happy with the way the head turned out.  I need to clean up the greenstuff around the neck (I used that to help fuse the Ash neckpost).  Hopefully the colors came out okay on him (always a risk for me  ;) )

Recipe -
Head - Ash from Army of Darkness with Beard added using greenstuff
Torso - Sora Bulq
Legs - ROTS Ploo Koon (or Saesee tinn, I can't remember)
Hands - miscellaneous hands I found in my fodder bin.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 04:22 PM by BrentS »

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Brent's Customs - Updated 4/25- Jedi Master Custom
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2006, 03:11 AM »
Hi Brent

Great pick ups at the show I've got our loacl show in 3 weeks and can't wait to see whats there.

Jedi Master Tyree Delcos- He looks very well done very simple clothing like a Jedi should have and the beard is a great touch and nice scuplting.

Ron

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Brent's Customs - Updated 4/25- Jedi Master Custom
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2006, 05:04 PM »
Great work Brent... if Obi Wan had a cousin, this would be him.  You did a great job making that AoD head look like something totally different.  And you did a perfect job on paint colors.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Brent's Customs - BIG update 4/26
« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2006, 03:26 PM »
I found some time to really finish off a bunch of WIPs and a new figure too.

First up, inspired by Chewie's Headless Ephant Mon from long ago...

Shrumpel Thichna  -  he is a Tatooine denizen who works with the Hutts.  I'm not sure of what his official job description will be.  Probably just a bully.

This is a McFarlane Clown IV head with an Ephant Mon Body.  I've added some extra greenstuff growths from the face.

Young Jedi Knight Ty-Ri Docosto.  He was going to the the younger version of the figure I made from the Ash head.  He may still be but the skin tone is much different when I painted him and I put his scar in the wrong direction! Oops ;D

I'm planning on using him as a semi-man character in the upcoming chapters of Duel of the Sith.  I was going to use the Captain Typho jedi but I think he will fit much better in the story.

Here he is with his Master - Coleman Trebor  (my corrected SA version)

Recipe
Head - Hannibal GI Joe head (hollowed out for ball joint)
Body - Evolutions Anakin

Lastly, since I used the Evo Anakin body I knew the perfect use for the Evo head.  Cartoon Network Clone Wars version:

Much better head than the original battlepack version!  The head was a little larger than the ball joint so I added a bit of greenstuff to bulk up the ball joint.  I also did a little repainting on the robes to give them a bit more detail.

With all these and the Star Wars Pinups I've been a busy boy.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 03:34 PM by BrentS »

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
Re: Brent's Customs - Updated 4/28- Big Update
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2006, 03:36 PM »
NOw I see what you wanted the Clown head for.

The aien is excellent work, those parts blend together nicely.

I like the Padawan. Which Joe head did you use? I cant tell. Good job.

If I could ever find a coleman Trebor Id like to do an SA version myself. Yours is very well done. I look forward to seeing thses in the PN.