Author Topic: Glorbes Customs (New Vader and Stormtrooper 1:12 scale-9)  (Read 79925 times)

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Glorbes Customs (Raiders Flying Wing, p.7)
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2008, 12:38 AM »
Okay, this is just absolutely ridiculous.  HOLY FREAKING COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

OH MY GOD!!

I am absolutely stunned by the awesomeness.  I need someone to re-start my heart!

CLEAR!

Beeeeeeeeeeeeep

Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline manglord

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2008, 02:25 AM »
I'm sure you might have questioned your sanity during this build, but Thanks for persevering through this phenomenal scratchbuilt custom. Great job!

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
« Reply #107 on: August 4, 2008, 11:23 AM »
Thanks for the kind feedback guys.  Glad to say that I've returned to the Star Wars galaxy:

Darth Vader

Well, since I've been wandering through a desert of inspiration lately, I've continued doing more technical projects, creating figures that I'd like to own.  The first of these is sort of a continuation of my droids that I made, attempting to create screen accurate, 6" scale Star Wars figures.  Naturally, I tackled Darth Vader.

He's made from a wide array of parts for the body.  There are Marvel Legends Cyclops, Namor, Iron Man, Spawn, and Skullsplitter parts in the mix, making up the body.  The figure's height is 7 1/2" tall.

The head is a 100% original sculpt.  The skirt/flange is styrene.  This really is a tough design to capture accurately, and I'm still not completely satisfied with this...but its the closest I've come thus far.

The body suit is made from the smallest corduroy I could find...I wanted to accurately portray the costume as much as I could without it looking too bulky.  That being said, I wish I would have dremelled away more of the bulk from the body, since the fabric is thicker than what I usually use. 

The capes are black t-shirt material.  The shoulder armour, chest regulator thingy, belt buckle and details, crotch and shin guards are all styrene.  The lightsaber is the usual acrylic dowelling with metal tubing. 

My army of Vaders.

Thanks for looking.

Offline Happy Noodle Boy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Anything worth doing is worth doing right!
    • View Profile
Re: Glorbes Customs (Darth Vader 8)
« Reply #108 on: August 5, 2008, 08:29 PM »
Man, Glorbes, anytime I think you can't top youself, you do!

This Vader is amazing. I always love your wide array of parts you use to get this end result.

Do you have any WIP photos? I know you've shown some in the past.

Great work as always.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 6, 2008, 09:54 AM »
Wow, just wow. That German plane is amazing.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline darth_ripley

• Jedi Initiate
  • i'm the monster's mother...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 8, 2008, 09:55 PM »
that samurai vader is amazing! i haven't seen something that original & well executed in awhile.
great work on all the larger scale vaders!

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2008, 09:25 AM »
Happy Noodle Boy, Darth ANton, and darth_ripley-

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I'm beginning to realize that I'm never done a custom...and these I feel could possibly use a little more work and critcism.

First off, some modifications to existing customs.

Vader Mod
Here are a few shots of the helmet removed from the body:

The more I live with this sculpt, the more I see the nagging inaccuracies, such as the head skirt being to tight to the head (it needs to have a more dramatic angle in relation to the top part of the helmet).  That would require massive reconstruction, and I'm not quite ready to do that, so I opted to just adjust the positioning of the head on the body.  Someone suggested that Vader needed to have the helmet repositioned so that he's not looking up all the time, and I agreed.

Original:

Adjusted:

Basically, I just added some epoxy putty to the neck joint to build it up and have the head sit higher on the neck post.

Next up...

The Droids

These are ones I hadn't posted here at JediDefender, but I thought I'd share my first pass now to show what I've done.

The original versions:

There were many problems with these guys first time around.  Artoo's dome was way too tall and entirely the wrong shape.  Also, his foot pads were totally inaccurate simply because I was too lazy the first time around. 

Artoo:

I reused all of the details I made the first time, but carefully removed them, cut a centimeter from the bottom edge of the dome, and reglued the detailing to the resized dome.  I then spray painted the dome with a nifty chrome silver, and repainted the detailing. 

For Threepio, I reworked the torso so that its longer and incorporates more accurate details (such as the sculpted chest).  This I did by extending the torso with styrene sheet, sculpting, and sanding.

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2008, 09:26 AM »
Luke and Leia

These are two new customs.  Again, I'm trying my hand at making more screen accurate versions of the characters (sans the likenesses of course, since I can't really afford to buy the epic force stuff).  In a way, not having the right heads is a challenge in itself, since I'm trying to get the character right by working with what I have.

[size=18]Leia[/size]

This was  avery quick custom.  I was mainly inspired by the Sideshow Premium Format figure.  The base is a Movie Sue Storm with sculpted hair (the boots were perfect for Leia too!).  The outfit is white cloth, and the Stormtrooper rifle is scratchbuilt (I'll probably make her slender blaster one of these days...but I wanted to make the rifle now).

The blaster is made from styrene tubes and rods, with some sheeting for details like the cooling fins and the magazine.  This was the funnest part of the custom.

[size=18]Luke[/size]

Bullseye body, Peter Parker head, Legolas hands, and Pyro feet.  The outfit is a few different types of cloth, and the belt is leather with pouches from the fodder bucket. 

The likeness is miles away from ol' Mark, but I think its accurate to the character.  I'm really happy with how the outfit turned out. 

Group shot!

Let me know what you think, and thanks for looking.

Offline Happy Noodle Boy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Anything worth doing is worth doing right!
    • View Profile
Re: Glorbes Customs (Luke, Leia, Vader & Droids mods 8)
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2008, 10:13 PM »
WOW!  :o

These are probably some of the best one's I've seen here.

I think the facial likenes is more close to the characters than you think. Now if we could get stuff this good in that size figures.

Love the Leia and the droids have their unique look without straying too much from the "accuracy" you're looking for here.

Luke is by far my favorite. I've always like the "farmboy" Luke the most and you've done justice to it.

Keep this up. You're a unique talent with these!

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
Re: Glorbes Customs (Luke, Leia, Vader & Droids mods 8)
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2008, 07:28 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, Happy Noodle Boy.  Much appreciated!

Here's a project I started working on this week: a more properly scaled AT-ST for 3 3/4" figures!  So far all I have is the basic head shape and the interior detailing for the command console.

Lots of fun, time consuming detail work.  I'm teaching myself to revel in the details, since I'm naturally extremely impatient.  Slowing down the process is hard, but I'm starting to get into it.

This thing will probably be about 15" tall when all is said and done.  The controls and doodads and greeblies are mostly styrene rod and sheeting, with a few miscellaneous bits thrown in for good measure.

I still have to create the back wall for behind the seats and detail that as well, but I thought I'd share what I have so far.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:30 AM by glorbes »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Glorbes Customs (3 3/4" Scale AT-ST w-i-p, 8)
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2008, 01:51 PM »
Interesting.  I look forward to seeing the finished product.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2008, 09:36 PM »
Target, maximum fire power.

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2008, 10:03 AM »
Thanks Guys.  I know that the final product will be miles away from on model, but I plan on doing something fun with the paint scheme, as well as add a dew extra features possibly.

More progress...

Back wall of c0ckpit:

Exterior:

Back detailing:

Top:

Chin Mounted Laser Cannons (a mini project all its own):

And a scale shot:

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2008, 12:40 PM »
That's looking GREAT so far. Excellent work!
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline manglord

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2008, 09:51 PM »
Damn Glorbes, That's awesome! Can't wait to see some figs inside. Just out of curiosity, what brand/color of paint are you gonna use on this? Do you use rattle cans or airbrush? Thanks in advance!