Author Topic: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.  (Read 65513 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2007, 02:20 PM »

Death Squad Commander

Jawa - just to see what $10 buys us

Thanks Anthony, at least someone out there wants to see the original 12 finished off.  I find it moderately blasphemous that even Hasbro can't finish out the homage to the original 12 figures in a line basically designed to do so.  I don't have any problem with the original release, putting Fett in there was a no brainer.  Lando was a bit suspect, but I'm happy to have it.  As long as they finish out the original 12, they can put a cupcake on a card and call it a figure and I won't give a crap. 

I wasn't around for the original 12, but I'd love to see them all done up VOTC style as well. It'd make for a nice homage to the vintage era. Not to mention I have that nice Early Bird display I'd love to stock full with VOTC styled Original 12 figures...

I'm fine with the ROTS Guard for now to be honest, so I don't have it on my lists. Maybe someday a nice SA version with a force pike, but for the next wave I'd like

Jawa (I'm Impartial on the two pack issue)
Death Squad Commander
Endor Rebel SA
Death Star Droid (SA Silver)
Zuckuss
A-Wing Pilot
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 02:25 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2007, 02:46 PM »
I'm not stuck on the royal guard at all, I just think they need to put an army builder in there that has Imperial roots.  I just don't see Hoth/Endor soldiers selling well, SA or not, at this price point given they sit (yes, some are indeed awful) at half the price.  I'm not unhappy with the current Guards either. 

For the Jawa's, I agree that on a per dollar basis, there's little they can do to ensure a single Jawa is worth $10.  But I'd contend they've already had some figures that weren't worth near that price (R2.3PO leap immediately to mind) for the figure.  But I view the pricepoint as a package issue more than anything else.  A decently done and accessorized (blaster and droid collar thingy) Jawa with a good cape (vinyl for homage purposes) is something I'm looking to keep carded more than open, I already have tons of Jawas that while not great, are all suitable.  I'd buy one or two to open as well, but considering how awful C-3PO was and unspectacular R2 was, we don't need it to be two.  As I said, I just want to see it carded to fill out the first 12. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2007, 11:26 PM »
Like I said way back in the thread, I feel pretty committed to getting the original 12 back characters done.  So if we're looking at a wave of 6 vintage figures for next year this would be my lineup:

-Death Squad Commander
-Jawa - I'm fine with it being a single figure.  Yoda was a single figure.  Do some nice softgoods and bandolier and we're golden.
-Luke Skywalker - Jedi Knight
-Emporer Palpatine
-Walrusman (aka Ponda Baba)
-Hoth Rebel Trooper
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2007, 11:30 PM »
Klaatu, Nikto, Barada...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2007, 09:50 AM »
I'm a little puzzled about Hasbro's response to this question from The Jawa yesterday:

It seems that with the pack-in coins that we're getting in the current line that incorporating the Power Of The Force line into the vintage line would be a natural fit.  Has that concept been entertained considering the current coin pack-ins? (TJ, 3/16/07)

We deliberately stayed away from the coins in the VOTC because not all of the figures would have had them.  Instead, we came up with the idea of doing the coins as a mail-in follow-up to our 2006 promotion and to be a "parallel" set with the 30th Anniv. coins.

Another "why didn't you do POTF cards this year" question was asked in this week's Q & A, and another befuddling response was given:

---------

Coins are a big theme this year for the 30th anniversary, being a big part of the vintage line. As a tie-in, why didn't Hasbro make this years vintage style figures on the POTF style cards, with the coin packed in as well? Was this ever a consideration? It would have been a great tie-in with this years coin collection. Might we still see an exclusive figure packed like this? (JTA, 4/27/07)

It was not a consideration because we have certain figures we never made with POTF cardbacks and our direction was "all or none" with the coins. So we decided to make it a mail-in program instead. There are no additional vintage figures planned for this year.

-------------

I'm just still not understanding their reasoning for not doing POTF cards this year.  Is it that the figures themselves come first, and then it's determined what assortment (basic or vintage) they're going to go in?   

Still though, there was some good news in regards to a POTF wave:

-----------

With the continuing success of the Vintage Collection series, what are the chances we'll see a Vintage Power of the Force series, and more importantly, a super-articulated resculpt of Yakface (Saelt-Marae)? (SWC, 4/27/07)

If Vintage continues, doing some POTF series does make sense so the chances are good at some point. Yak-Face would be very low on our list of ones to do, simply because there are a lot more important iconic characters ahead of him.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2007, 09:41 PM »
I've been thinking about what an all Power Of The Force vintage wave would be like.  And looking over the figure list, I think it would be a bit of a tough sell to populate an entire wave.  Here's what was offered in that line:

POWER OF THE FORCE 1984
  A-Wing Pilot
  Han Solo (In Carbonite Chamber)
  Imperial Dignitary
  Imperial Gunner
  Luke Skywalker (Imperial Stormtrooper Outfit) 

POWER OF THE FORCE 1985
  Anakin Skywalker
  Amanaman
  Barada
  EV-9D9
  Lando Calrissian (General Pilot)
  Luke Skywalker (In Battle Poncho) 
  Romba
  Warok
  Yak Face

Looking over that list there are some obvious choices.  IMO, those are:
  Anakin Skywalker

I would choose General Lando, but it seems like a bit of a stretch to have that many core characters in a vintage wave.  I also would have chosen the Imperial Gunner, but Hasbro made him in TSC for 2006.  Oops.  All of a sudden we have ZERO Imperial troopers in the wave, and those have been some of the hottest figures in the vintage line.

So then who do you choose for an all-POTF line?  Here's my 6 figure lineup:

Anakin Skywalker
  A-Wing Pilot
  Imperial Dignitary
  Yak Face
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2007, 11:36 PM »
Imperial Dignitary would be a pegwarmer, but he is definitely one I would really want. One of my favorite ROTJ characters to see made. That being said, Nien Nunb and Ackbar are WAY more needed than him, first things first.  8)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2007, 11:43 AM »
POTF Line:
Stormtrooper Luke Skywalker
Carbon Han Skywalker
Yak Face
Anakin Skywalker
A-Wing Pilot
General Lando Calrissian

I wouldn't count Anakin as a main character in the OT. Well atleast with out the suit on.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2007, 02:28 PM »
It looks like RS has a new poll up looking for opinions on the future of the vintage line, apparently in conjunction with Hasbro.  It looks like they are trying to get a feel of where fans would like to see things head in the future (prequel movies are mentioned in one of the questions).  More at the linky.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2007, 02:33 PM »
Yeah, I just noticed that too.  The one thing that their poll doesn't take into account is the current price of these vintage figures, which is actually $11.99 at Targets right now, and not the regular $9.99 that it should be.  I'm sure the higher price would definitely affect the results quite a bit if it actually stuck, but I'm assuming that once WM and TRU get their VTAC stock in at $9.99, Target will (finally) adjust accordingly (so hang on to your receipts!)...

That said, it probably goes without saying that I'd be down for them re-releasing the entire vintage line, and would (unfortunately) be compelled to buy every last one of 'em.  :-[

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2007, 02:44 PM »
Prequel figures would kill it for me.  They have no place on a vintage style cardback.  It's downright blasphemous. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2007, 02:46 PM »
I'm highly disappointed by RS's results so far.  Most people only want selected figures made.  And many people want to see prequel figures on vintage style cards.

I remain fully in the remake-the-entire-vintage-run-only camp.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2007, 02:52 PM »
Yeah, the poll has me a little bit worried.  As much as I, and many of us, would like to see "vintage quality" figures made of prequel characters (TPM Obi, Qui-Gon, Jango Fett, etc.), we've seen that Hasbro is capable of making those in the basic line (and pricepoint).  The fact that they ask about them, then essentially ask "how many $9.99 figures can you take?" starts to worry me.  I'd like to see that "vintage" quality across all the figures we see, but I don't want to pay that much for my figures - especially at the 60 figures/year pace.  If they are going to go that route for the entire line eventually, I'd rather see the releases cut way back then.

I think I'm in the camp as well seeing the entire vintage run made in this style, and I'd probably pick them all up.  The question talking about essentially repacking recent figures (R5-D4 and Chief Chirpa are mentioned) on vintage cardbacks is a little troubling too.  I'm not disappointed with either of those figures, but I don't want to pay $9.99 to have them again.  I don't have to of course, but I was trying to keep a carded collection of the vintage figures.  I collect very little carded, but had hoped to keep up with these, but if it becomes a partially repacked line, that will be tougher.  Anyways, nice to see they are thinking about the future of this line - but things could get a little tricky if we see all the movies included at a $9.99 pricepoint.  Why even have the lower "basic" pricepoint anymore - or maybe they won't (yikes).

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2007, 02:56 PM »
-Death Squad Commander
-Jawa
-Luke Skywalker - Jedi Knight
-Emporer Palpatine
-Imperial Dignitary (good way to finally release it)

My biggest wish would be to get Yarna on the vintage style POTF card with coin since she was so close to being released that way. It would make for the best mailway ever.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 02:57 PM by evenflow »
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2007, 04:52 PM »
-Death Squad Commander
-Jawa

Broken record, but finish out the original twelve please.  Finish out the bounty hunters and figure out another army builder then throw in a Luke.  That's five right there, isn't it (six)?

As for the poll, I voted for only OT figs, all of the original OT figs but then contradicted myself because I don't have any need to see Chirpa on the VOTC style card.  I'm not opposed to them doing it, but I don't need a loose version of the figure then.  I guess in retrospect I should have voted the other way. 

Interesting to see themselves (or the poll anyway) contradict itself by suggesting they can't really improve Chirpa or the coming 4-LOM anyway.  I guess it's another way of asking if the cardback and case are wroth $5 to you, which is probably what I was thinking when I answered it. 

The high proportion of the folks wanting prequel figures is disturbing.  Obviously no love for vintage among those folks.  I just don't see a fit for those figures on that style of cardback, because there's no real relation to it in any way, shape or form.  Are they going to re-release the red/black TPM card in a case?  If so, I guess I can accept it, but how the hell are they going to make it "vintage-y"?  I think Brian's feeling that this is testing the waters for putting out a fairly standard cardback with case at the $9.99 pricepoint is spot on. 

As mentioned, Hasbro CAN produce high quality figures for a reasonable price on regular cardbacks.  You don't need to ask them to put them on vintage cards if there's no relation.  Just tell Hasbro you want high quality versions of Qui-Gon, etc.  Yeesh, why are manufacturers trying to drive people out of the hobby?  There's some amazing stuff coming, why screw with that?