Author Topic: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.  (Read 65495 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2007, 01:00 PM »
When we were prepping question over at The Jawa this question really made sense.  The whole value added concept with the 30AC Basic Figures is a complete throwback to the vintage POTF line.  And there are some very iconic characters in the POTF line that could be the basis for a modern Vintage figure wave.  But perhaps Hasbro saw that line as too limiting and they wanted to go with other characters first.  That's my hypothesis about the real motivation here, and not the non-answer that we got.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline darthmac

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My Diorama Website
Re: 30AC "Vintage" Wave
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2007, 04:21 PM »
They REALLY need to do the Emperor & Royal Guard for this line.  Every Emperor in the modern line has been a disaster in my opinion (I tolerate the cinema scene one because of the awesome chair).  Jedi Luke, Hoth Leia would also seem to be an obvious choices.  How about this:

The Emperor (JEDI)
Royal Guard (JEDI)
Jedi Luke (JEDI)
Hoth Leia (ESB)
Hoth Luke (ESB)

On second thought that would be 2 Lukes (scratch to Hoth one).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 04:22 PM by darthmac »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2007, 04:34 PM »
I mentioned this in the 2007 VTAC thread, but thought it might belong here too.  Looking at the makeup of the past lineups, it seems like the main characters (Han, Luke, Leia) are represented along with army builders (Stormtrooper, Snowtrooper, Biker Scout) and a couple of "interesting" aliens (Greedo, Bossk) and/or supporting characters (Lando, Yoda, Fett).  With that in mind, what do you think potential future "vintage" lineups could look like?

Looking at main characters, there is really only one Han that is left (Bespin), or possibly a re-do of Han in Carbonite.  Luke has been well covered too, but we could always see a Hoth Luke or possibly Jedi Luke (depending on the one in the basic TAC line this year).  Leia has a couple different versions that could be done, but Hoth Leia might be the best choice.

The army builders are fairly well covered at this point, with the big ones (Stormie, Snowtrooper, Scout) all being done - and done well.  Even other troops (TIE Pilot, Imp. Gunner, etc.) have been done pretty well in the basic lines the past couple years.  It would be nice to see them move to Rebel troops.  They may not sell quite as well (to casual buyers, in particular), but collectors are ready for them I think.  A super articulated Hoth Trooper, Endor Soldier, or others would be welcome.  You could also see something like the Royal Guard included here, although the one from the ROTS basic line is pretty nice already.

As far as supporting characters, obviously the Emperor stands out as one figure that really hasn't had a perfect (or close) version done yet.  There's also the option of more of the bounty hunters that haven't already been made (Dengar, Zuckuss), Cantina aliens (Walrusman), or other interesting background characters (Ackbar, Gamorrean Guard, etc.)  There is of course lots of figures from the vintage line that are left to be re-done, but many are being done pretty well in the basic line.  Also, I think there probably has to (at least from Hasbro/retail's viewpoint) be a main character or two to anchor the wave with.  What do you think future lineups could look like?  Here's one I wouldn't mind seeing, going with a 6 figure wave model:

Han Solo (Bespin)
Luke Skywalker (Hoth)
Princess Leia Organa (Hoth)
Emperor
Rebel Soldier (Hoth)
Gamorrean Guard

Maybe a little ESB heavy, but I'm thinking of "ultimate" figures I'd want to see done if this line only had another wave or two.  I picked one of each for the "big 3", one of the rebel soldiers, and a main supporting and interesting background character.  You could sub in a lot of different characters for those spots though as well.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2007, 05:35 PM »
At this point, my Vintage wants are like this:

-Endor Rebel
-Hoth Rebel Commander (IE: A basic Trooper)
-Hoth Rebel Soldier (IE: Brown vested petty officers)
-Hoth Luke
-Bespin Guard
-Hoth Leia
-Imp. Commander
-AT-AT Commander

Those are my biggies, but obviously the 3 Rebel soldier types top the list of vinty's I'd like to see done in the vintage retro line.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2007, 05:37 PM »
2008-Maybe a ROTJ themed wave for 25 years of that movie:
Luke Skywalker w/ Lightsaber, Skiff Blaster, Robe (Jabba's Palace)
Han Solo (Carbonite)
Leia Organa (Hoth)
Emperor Palpatine w/ Cane & Sith Lightning Hands
Endor Rebel Trooper
Jawa 2-Pack
Mail-Away: Admiral Ackbar

2009- All 3 Movie Wave
Luke Skywalker (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Lando Calrissian (General)
Nien Nunb
Royal Gaurd
Walrus Man
Hoth Rebel Trooper
Mail-Away: Boba Fett (TESB)

2010- ESB wave for the 30th anniversary of that movie:
Luke Skywalker (Hoth)
Han Solo (Bespin)
Leia Organa (Bespin)
Tie Fighter Pilot
Zuckuss
Dengar
Mail-Away: Lando Calrissian (Skiff Gaurd)

Then with the main characters done (Luke, Han, Leia, Lando,etc..) the line should end & the all the other figures that need updated should be in the basic line.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2007, 07:04 PM »
The Tie Pilot could be done one more time, the arms suck on the Saga version. Articulated ankles would be nice too.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2007, 08:13 PM »
Whatever they have to do, with the sole exception of repacks of older figures into vintage-style cards, to complete the vintage run on these cards is a-okay with me. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 08:14 PM by Rob »

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2007, 08:18 PM »
Next year's wave could TOTALLY be:

1) Admiral Ackbar
2) Nien Nunb
3) Hoth Leia
4) Walrusman
5) Zuckuss
6) Emperor Palpatine

Also a very cool figure if possible would be Yarna on the early prototype vintage cardback repro from before she was cancelled. THAT would be awesome.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2007, 12:15 AM »
I agree that they really need to make a kick ass Palpatine one way or another.  I am kind of surprised they have not done this via the Vintage line. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2007, 09:29 AM »
I agree that they really need to make a kick ass Palpatine one way or another. 

As opposed to the kick-ass evo one?  ;)

Sure the head sculpt is suspect, but that's one of the coolest figures, period.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2007, 09:36 AM »
Whatever they have to do, with the sole exception of repacks of older figures into vintage-style cards, to complete the vintage run on these cards is a-okay with me. 

I agree with that, but at the top of my list is:

Death Squad Commander
Royal Guard
Hoth Rebel Trooper
Jawa - just to see what $10 buys us
Klatuu
A-Wing Pilot
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2007, 10:32 AM »
Did Hasbro ever explain why that Chewie, R2, C-3PO, Stormtrooper and Vader were never released on there first run Star Wars Cards instead of the ESB and ROTJ ones?  It seems like the majority of us wanted to put together a 12-back set.  Maybe they will release them again in the future ???  Is so they really need to resculpt a few IMO.  That C-3PO is crap and the Luke is not much better.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2007, 10:49 AM »
Did Hasbro ever explain why that Chewie, R2, C-3PO, Stormtrooper and Vader were never released on there first run Star Wars Cards instead of the ESB and ROTJ ones? 

At comic-con or someplace, they had said that they weren't sure if they would do more, so they wanted to hit all three movies evenly in this batch since 2004 was a "celebrate the OT" year for the DVD push.

Once upon a time, they did say they understood about the 12-back stuff and that they may go back and re-issue those on SW cards... but that was nearly 3 years ago and hasn't happened yet, so I wouldn't hold my breath for it to happen anytime soon.   
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2007, 02:56 PM »
Did Hasbro ever explain why that Chewie, R2, C-3PO, Stormtrooper and Vader were never released on there first run Star Wars Cards instead of the ESB and ROTJ ones?  It seems like the majority of us wanted to put together a 12-back set.  Maybe they will release them again in the future ???  Is so they really need to resculpt a few IMO.  That C-3PO is crap and the Luke is not much better.

That's what I think will happen down the road.  They'll want to start getting into the less exciting characters and will be able to make that happen by re-releasing more popular ones from SW and ESB on alternate cards.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2007, 01:41 PM »

Death Squad Commander

Jawa - just to see what $10 buys us

Thanks Anthony, at least someone out there wants to see the original 12 finished off.  I find it moderately blasphemous that even Hasbro can't finish out the homage to the original 12 figures in a line basically designed to do so.  I don't have any problem with the original release, putting Fett in there was a no brainer.  Lando was a bit suspect, but I'm happy to have it.  As long as they finish out the original 12, they can put a cupcake on a card and call it a figure and I won't give a crap. 

My five:

Jawa (not a two pack - economics be damned)
Death Squad Commander (so named)
Royal Guard (need that army builder)
Death Star Droid (in silver)
Zuckuss (they've admitted they'll run out the bounty hunters)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.