Author Topic: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.  (Read 65506 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.
« Reply #15 on: August 6, 2006, 12:24 PM »
I really like the vintage figures and cardbacks.  However, I'm not to excited anymore about wasting $10-12 on them.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 6, 2006, 12:56 PM »

The 20 back card is a good place to start.  We've gotten 2 of the figures that were first introduced on the 20 back card in this format.  I think it might be cool to touch on the rest of the 20 back figures in the near future, but not absolutely necessary.

Out of the 20/21 backs that are left:

Hammerhead
Snaggletooth
Walrus Man
R5-D4
Death Star Droid
Power Droid

I'd be down for a new Walrus Man--he could use a re-visiting.  Two of those were just done in Saga, and there might not be a whole lot left to improve on with them.  Snag, DSD and Gonk would be a hard sell for me at this point.  What can be done with them to give them added-value?

It does get tough after a while.  Regarding the two that were just made in the Saga line, move those later in the release schedule and see what can be done.  Possibly knee articulation and ball jointed shoulders for Hammerhead?  As for R5-D4, go with the R4-G9 body with the retractable center leg and more accurate paint apps.

Snaggletooth might be tough since we actually got a decent version of him in the POTJ line and that figure just didn't sell well.  The Gonk is kind of tough too.  What do you do with it?  Especially in order to get people on board with the higher price point?  The only things that come to mind are a better paint job and a new form of leg articulation.  I think a decent Death Star Droid is a possibility.  The quality of protocol droid sculpts has really improved, and I think that could be translated to this droid.

How about the mail-away figures from the vintage line?  I remember a fair ammount of enthusiasm about the mailaways at the time.  The ones I can remember?  Boba Fett, Bossk, 4-LOM (actually Zuckuss), Nien Numb, the Emporer, Admiral Ackbar, etc.  Go in this kind of direction and I think the vintage style line can have some legs.

You mean to make the next mail-away promotions be for actual vintage mail-away characters, and not just ******** characters like Georgetrooper?  Yeah, that I could get behind.  It'd be a nice nod to the vintage line.  Someone not too long ago suggested having a mail-away for a "secret action figure," just like the old days.  I totally love that idea--but the secret wouldn't last too long, in this day and age.

I don't know if it would be good to make these figures mail-aways.  I think it would definitely harken back to those days of mailing your POP's off to Maple Plain, MN, but I think I'd want to see the figures ship on the vintage style card the way the George Trooper does, inside the white mailer box.  First and foremost, I thought they were cool character choices.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2006, 08:43 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #17 on: August 6, 2006, 03:32 PM »
They've proved that they can do VOTC-style articulation and accessories in the basic line (now whether they choose to or not is another matter entirely).  But, since the retro-vintage line seems to be pretty popular and isn't going away anytime soon, we might as well talk about what we'd like to see for it, yeah?

I suppose. Not that you're ever going to get it, or if you do, you're going to complain about it being not up to standards.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: August 6, 2006, 04:05 PM »
Here's what I said a few months ago

Star Wars
Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2) 2004 VOTC
Chewbacca 2004 VOTC
Luke Skywalker 2004 VOTC
Princess Leia Organa 2004 VOTC 
Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi 2004 VOTC
Darth Vader 2004 VOTC
Han Solo 2004 VOTC
See-Threepio (C-3PO) 2004 VOTC
Stormtrooper / Imperial Stormtrooper    2004 VOTC
Death Squad Commander / Star Destroyer Commander
Jawa Rumored Wave 2006
Sand People / Sandpeople / Tusken Raider (Sand People) 2006 VTSC
Greedo 2006 VTSC
Hammerhead 2006 Standard TSC
Snaggletooth
Walrus Man 
Arfive-Defour (R5-D4)   2006 Standard TSC
Death Star Droid
Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot) / Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Fighter Pilot) 2006 VTSC
Power Droid
Boba Fett

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
Bossk (Bounty Hunter) 2003 SAGA
Bespin Security Guard (I)
FX-7 (Medical Droid) POTJ Version
Han Solo (Hoth Outfit) / Han Solo (Hoth Battle Gear)
IG-88 (Bounty Hunter)   POTJ Version
Imperial Stormtrooper (Hoth Battle Gear) Rumored 2006 VSTC
Lando Calrissian 2004 VOTC
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues) Rumored 2006 VSTC
Leia Organa (Bespin Gown) / Princess Leia Organa (Bespin Gown) 2004 OTC
Rebel Soldier (Hoth Battle Gear) 
Yoda / Yoda The Jedi Master 2004 VOTC
Dengar 2003 SAGA
Han Solo (Bespin Outfit) / Han Solo (Cloud City Outfit)
Lobot / Lobot (Lando's Aid)   2004 OTC
Ugnaught 
AT-AT Driver 2006 Standard TSC
Leia / Leia Organa / Princess Leia Organa (Hoth Outfit)
Imperial Commander
Rebel Commander
2-1B/ Two-Onebee (2-1B)/ Too-Onebee (2-1B) 
AT-AT Commander/ General Veers 2006 Standard TSC
Luke Skywalker (Hoth Battle Gear) / Luke Skywalker (Hoth Outfit)
Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2) (With Sensorscope) / R2-D2 (With Periscope) 2006 Standard TSC 
Bespin Security Guard (II)
Cloud Car Pilot / (Twin Pod) Cloud Car Pilot 2004 OTC 
4-LOM
See-Threepio (C-3PO) With Removable limbs
Imperial TIE Fighter Pilot 2003 SAGA
Zuckuss

RETURN OF THE JEDI
Admiral Ackbar
Lando Calrissian (Skiff Guard Disguise) 2003 SAGA
Nien Nunb
Bib Fortuna 2006 Standard TSC 
Biker Scout 2006 VTSC
Chief Chirpa 2006 Standard TSC 
Emperor's Royal Guard EpIII Release
Gamorrean Guard
General Madine 2004 OTC
Klaatu
Logray (Ewok Medicine Man)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight Outfit) SAGA 2003
Princess Leia Organa (Boushh Disguise) / Boushh 2006 Standard TSC 
Rebel Commando
Ree-Yees
Squid Head
Weequay 
8D8
Klaatu (In Skiff Guard Outfit) / Klaatu (Skiff Guard Outfit)
Nikto
The Emperor Sith Evolutions/EpIII 
AT-ST Driver
B-Wing Pilot
Han Solo (In Trench Coat) 2006 VTSC
Princess Leia Organa (In Combat Poncho) Rumored 2006 VTSC
Pruneface
Rancor Keeper POTF2 Version
Teebo
Wicket W. Warrick
Lumat
Paploo

POWER OF THE FORCE
Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2) With Pop Up Lightsaber 
A-Wing Pilot
Han Solo (In Carbonite Chamber)   2006 Standard TSC
Imperial Dignitary
Imperial Gunner 2006 Standard TSC 
Luke Skywalker (Imperial Stormtrooper Outfit) 
Anakin Skywalker 
Amanaman POTJ Version
Barada
EV-9D9 
Lando Calrissian (General Pilot) 2003 SAGA Version
Luke Skywalker (In Battle Poncho) 
Romba
Warok 
Yak Face

Trying to keep things separate...IMHO here's who could possibly be left

The reason I left Boba in is that I could see a rerelease in ESB paint scheme instead of the ROTJ version

Star Wars
Death Squad Commander / Star Destroyer Commander
Snaggletooth
Walrus Man 
Death Star Droid
Power Droid
Boba Fett

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
Bespin Security Guard (I)
Han Solo (Hoth Outfit) / Han Solo (Hoth Battle Gear)
Rebel Soldier (Hoth Battle Gear) 
Han Solo (Bespin Outfit) / Han Solo (Cloud City Outfit)
Ugnaught 
Leia / Leia Organa / Princess Leia Organa (Hoth Outfit)
Imperial Commander
Rebel Commander
2-1B/ Two-Onebee (2-1B)/ Too-Onebee (2-1B) 
Luke Skywalker (Hoth Battle Gear) / Luke Skywalker (Hoth Outfit)
Bespin Security Guard (II)
4-LOM
See-Threepio (C-3PO) With Removable limbs
Zuckuss

RETURN OF THE JEDI
Admiral Ackbar
Nien Nunb
Gamorrean Guard
Klaatu
Logray (Ewok Medicine Man)
Rebel Commando
Ree-Yees
Squid Head
Weequay 
8D8
Klaatu (In Skiff Guard Outfit) / Klaatu (Skiff Guard Outfit)
Nikto
AT-ST Driver
B-Wing Pilot
Pruneface
Teebo
Wicket W. Warrick
Lumat
Paploo

POWER OF THE FORCE
A-Wing Pilot
Imperial Dignitary
Luke Skywalker (Imperial Stormtrooper Outfit) 
Anakin Skywalker 
Barada
EV-9D9 
Romba
Warok 
Yak Face

Of these...I'd could possibly see 3 more waves of figures, of which I hope include:

Wave 6

Death Squad Commander
Walrus Man
Han Solo (Bespin Outfit)
Admiral Ackbar
Luke Skywalker (Imperial Stormtrooper)

Wave 7
Han Solo (Hoth Outfit)
Princess Leia (Hoth Outfit)
Wicket W. Warrick
Boba Fett (ESB Deco)

Wave 8
Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Head)
Snaggletooth or Power Droid
Gamorrean Guard
Luke Skywalker (Hoth)

Beyond these, its a lot of Jabba's aliens that probably won't sell and would be better served as being resculpts in the Saga line

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #19 on: August 6, 2006, 05:11 PM »
They've proved that they can do VOTC-style articulation and accessories in the basic line (now whether they choose to or not is another matter entirely).  But, since the retro-vintage line seems to be pretty popular and isn't going away anytime soon, we might as well talk about what we'd like to see for it, yeah?

I suppose. Not that you're ever going to get it, or if you do, you're going to complain about it being not up to standards.

What the **** is that supposed to mean?
« Last Edit: August 6, 2006, 05:25 PM by Matthew »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 7, 2006, 10:40 AM »
The whole price issue aside, I really like the VOTC/VTSC series of figures.  Most to all of them have really been top notch, and this latest wave - although it hasn't seemed to generate the same excitement as the initial ones - were really all good figures (no 3PO stinkers really like the initial VOTC).  I like the lists that Jeff, Matthew and Scott have listed here, and I'd agree with those.  If nothing else, I'd like to see all the versions of the main characters and army builders get this treatment, and maybe save some of the other resculpts/updates of lesser/minor characters in the regular basic line.  Like others have mentioned, I'm afraid that things like a $10-$12 SA Rancor Keeper would be retail death.  Plus, if Hasbro is stating they are focusing on the "big guns" basically in future assortments, it isn't real likely they have intentions of taking the line all the way through.  Assortments consisting of no main characters or army builders, and just something like Ackbar, Rancor Keeper, Lumat, Ugnaught and 8D8 probably wouldn't be flying off the pegs for $10.

The price has always been an issue for all of us, and the only way I think it would work is if they really went all out with each release (similar to what Sideshow is doing with the 12" line).  Of course, this would probably be if it went to an online only line, after disappearing from retail (if/when that happens).  A more limited release schedule and top of the line figures would allow people to keep up better.

Some of the figures that have come out recently probably don't need the "vintage" treatment, aside from some articulation differences in some cases.  I'm happy with R5-D4, Amanaman, Bossk, Boussh Leia, and the others Scott listed/crossed off on his list.  I hope the wave rumored for next year turns out to be true, because that would cover some nice figures I'd like to see.

Han Solo - Bespin, Hoth
Luke Skywalker - Stormtrooper, Bespin, Hoth, Endor, Jedi
Princess Leia - Hoth
Lando Calrissian - Skiff/General aren't bad, could maybe be improved in articulation a bit
Rebel Troops - Hoth, Endor/Rebel Commando
Imperial Troops - Snowtrooper, Death Squad Commander, etc.

There are a few others that could work in this line, but maybe not the entire thing - at least not in the way Hasbro is pricing/releasing them.  Scott's three waves look good to me, especially considering next year's rumored lineup.  That would probably cover things pretty well.

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 8, 2006, 12:04 AM »
Hasbro will NEVER do all the figures of the Vintage Era.  They would never do figures on retro-vintage like Walrus Man, he would NEVER sale.

after wave 3 is made (hopefully).

I want the following to be the next Vintage Retro Figures

WAVE 4

Death Star Squad Commander - ANH
Princess Leia - Hoth Outfit - ESB
Luke Skywalker - Jedi Knight - ROTJ
IG-88 - ESB
The Emperor - ROTJ

WAVE 5

Han Solo - Hoth Outfit - ESB
4-LOM - ESB
AT-ST Walker Driver - ROTJ
Luke Skywalker - Hoth Outfit - ESB
Death Star Droid - ANH

They Probably will finish off the main Characters in 2 more waves, they will probably repack/kitbash some past VOTC - VTSC to sell better like the following

Chewbacca - on ANH Card - (EB repack)
Boba Fett - on ESB Card - (VOTC repack w/ ESB Colors)
C-3PO - on ANH Card - (TSC Ewok Deity repack)
Darth Vader - on ROTJ Card - (Evolutions repack)
Stormtrooper - on ANH Card - (VOTC repack)
R2-D2 - on ANH Card - (VOTC repack)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #22 on: August 8, 2006, 09:25 AM »
What the **** is that supposed to mean?

Nice reply, Ben.  Muchas gracias.

The Gonk is kind of tough too.  What do you do with it?  Especially in order to get people on board with the higher price point?  The only things that come to mind are a better paint job and a new form of leg articulation.

Those were my thoughts, too.  Fix the legs, give it a more vintage-esque paint job, and that'd be cool.  I think a "gonk" sound chip would be neat, too.  Other than that, there really isn't much else that can be done with it.

I think a decent Death Star Droid is a possibility.  The quality of protocol droid sculpts has really improved, and I think that could be translated to this droid.

It would have to be done Titanium-style (to retain the shininess) and as well-articulated as possible for it to be worth the extra dough for me.  I don't know if I'd like to see it in the vintage line, but I'd definitely like to see a new one.  Same with Gonk.

They would never do figures on retro-vintage like Walrus Man, he would NEVER sale.

If they can do Greedo in this format, then ol' Buttface certainly has a shot.

It's time for a new Walrus Man, vintage line or no.  They've basically been using the same sculpt, slightly modified, for nine years, and there's a lot they could do with an all-new version.  Super-articulation, detachable arm, and something else that would be really swell:  two sets of hands--one normal, and one "finned."
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 8, 2006, 09:10 PM »
I'd like to see the Stormie on different cards just to build it.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 02:36 AM »
I'm with what Matt got at earlier...

In order for Hasbro to do all of the figures, eventually waves will have to be released with repacked VOTC/VTSC figures too.

Which doesn't bother me at all.

All 96 in this style running next to a vintage carded collection would be a beautiful sight.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 09:31 AM »
96 VOTC next to a 'true' vintage carded run?  Personally, I'd rather have one or the other.  The two next to each other might be overkill, no?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 02:51 PM »
It'd take a big wall, but it'd be pretty.

Offline Desfiy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2006, 12:17 AM »
Here's what I said a few months ago

[snip]

Beyond these, its a lot of Jabba's aliens that probably won't sell and would be better served as being resculpts in the Saga line

I would agree with everything you said apart from one thing.

When did Hayden get into the vintage line, dont you mean Shaw, seeing this was the original Anakin Skywalker, and was even made in the POTF2 line as Anakin as well. Its just since all this prequel crap came out that Hayden was put in to replace Shaw, which IMHO was totally wrong.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 10:29 AM by Jeff »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2006, 02:12 AM »
(gigantic unnecessary list deleted)

I would agree with everything you said apart from one thing.

When did Hayden get into the vintage line, dont you mean Shaw, seeing this was the original Anakin Skywalker, and was even made in the POTF2 line as Anakin as well. Its just since all this prequel crap came out that Hayden was put in to replace Shaw, which IMHO was totally wrong.

Good God, man--learn to cut some of that **** outta there.  Selective editing is a good thing.

Good point on the Anakin, though--how do you release a Hayden Anakin on a vintage-style card, featuring a big-ass airbrushed photo of Sebastian's face?

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2006, 10:22 AM »
Good point on the Anakin, though--how do you release a Hayden Anakin on a vintage-style card, featuring a big-ass airbrushed photo of Sebastian's face?

Umm, you don't, because that isn't the "real" ROTJ Anakin :P.  Some of the Comic-con product Hasbro revealed already blends the 2 trilogies way more than I like, to "retcon" the original films is heresy in my book!

While I wouldn't mind the whole line of vintage styled figures, I agree that they probably won't do it, and frankly it's not very necessary when you have regular carded figures like the DS Gunner, Chirpa, and AT-AT Driver among others.  I don't think a Gonk or even a DS Droid is necessary, but I'd say one of my top 5 would be a new Walrusman.  Here's the thing, though: why hasn't Hasbro figured out that characters that are less popular should be slightly short-packed and there won't be a problem?  I realize with Greedo they thought they would need equal numbers to satisfy the mail-in POP issue, but look at which figure is pegwarming anyway.  It's not rocket science: obscure aliens and rebel officers sell less than soldiers and Imperials.  Luke sells more than Han who sells more than Lando, etc, etc!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I don't think Ewoks should be released in this format, ever.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Ewoks- I want every one released- but the amount of articulation possible on these is low and is done to great effect on the recent Chirpa.  Not to mention there is just too little plastic to sell one for 10-12 dollars.  A new Wicket is needed, but he would have to be smaller than even the POTF2 version which came as a 2-pack for 5 bucks.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 10:27 AM by Daigo-Bah »
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke