Author Topic: eBay Kubrick Scams and Fakes  (Read 99386 times)

Offline Bobajode

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: eBay Kubrick Scams and Fakes
« Reply #135 on: September 8, 2010, 05:34 PM »
2 replies for real (thanks Dan and Tiny) and 1 for fake (thanks I Am Sith). I'm gonna go with the democratic vote (2-1)and go with the reals (even if it's just to make me feel better). Thanks for the input guys, although I hoped a lot more members would have had an opinion on this.

Offline gravetrooper

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2010, 01:57 PM »
It is a real medicom product, But after the set was released an ebay seller named appleheadbob (or something close to that) was selling factory rejects. In most cases the heads were loose, but some had bad paint applications. I do not think that their are any fake star wars   kubricks out that could be mistaken for the real thing.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2010, 08:31 PM »
It is a real medicom product, But after the set was released an ebay seller named appleheadbob (or something close to that) was selling factory rejects. In most cases the heads were loose, but some had bad paint applications. I do not think that their are any fake star wars   kubricks out that could be mistaken for the real thing.

While that is true, the seller you are talking about was always selling loose. I don't think they seal the rejects before they get, well, rejected.

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline tiny

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 21, 2011, 09:48 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEDICOM-KUBRICK-STAR-WARS-HAN-SOLO-LEIA-LOT-be-rbrick-/280699984002?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415b05d882

Not quite a scam or a fake just hilarious  ;D

Han looks pissed about his hair.  Who is the guy in the middle supposed to be?  He missed a chance to say it was Lando.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2011, 10:59 PM »
I missed the bald Han scene in jeans.

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2011, 08:30 AM »
I missed the bald Han scene in jeans.

Its on the new Blur Ray Special Special Special Edition.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline karamazov80

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 3, 2011, 04:04 PM »
So I would not call this a scam, but I recently picked up a figure that I've long lusted after (Dagobah Luke) for what I thought was a great price. . .then it showed up in-hand and I found out why.  I'm sure others here saw this auction--he's got Jedi Luke's hairpiece that was cut with an Exacto knife to look sorta like the stock Dagobah hair piece.  I didn't notice it in the pics until it showed up and I saw the white plastic where the hair piece was cut, as the seller didn't state anything about this being customized in this way in the auction and I just didn't think to look carefully at the hair of the one in the pic.

So, I guess my question to you guys is--do you think I should keep it?  I paid a little less than $40, and that ain't bad at all for Dagobah Luke, but the hairpiece thing is bugging me more and more as I think about it, and I'm not sure if I would be better off without and waiting for another, better eBay opportunity.  A guy at Kubrick Nation sold me a Bespin Luke a couple years back and it had the wrong hairpiece that kept bugging me until I had to get another one.  Thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290589610385&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
« Last Edit: August 3, 2011, 04:05 PM by karamazov80 »
Back off man, I'm a scientist.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 3, 2011, 04:37 PM »
That's lame.  Unless he clearly states it is a custom, I would ask for a refund.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 3, 2011, 04:54 PM »
That's lame.  Unless he clearly states it is a custom, I would ask for a refund.

Agreed- it may not get you anywhere, but I would start trying to get a refund now, as time is of the essence with ebay/paypal transactions. The item is not what it was represented as- simple as that.
If that doesn't work you could try to unload it on ebay or the forums, disclosing the hair issue. As you stated, that was a crazy good price, and someone else may be fine with the wrong hair or even want to make their own.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 3, 2011, 06:49 PM »
Jeez, I didn't even notice that when I bid on it originally.  Glad that I didn't win the auction, but also really bummed that it didn't work out for you.  I would totally contact the seller to say that the auction didn't disclose the issue with the hair piece.  If he won't refund you your money, contact ebay.  It's ovious that this wasn't what you thought you were bidding on.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline tiny

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 3, 2011, 08:47 PM »
I was watching that Luke and thought it was going for a low price b/c of the missing weapons.  That seller might not have known it was a custom hair job...it looks pretty good in the picture.  good luck

Offline karamazov80

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 3, 2011, 10:36 PM »
Thanks for the response fellas.  He says in his auction that he's committed to customer service and will offer refunds, so I'm assuming I won't have any issues if I try to return it.  I'm just torn as to whether or not I should keep it.  I don't reckon I'll be able to get a complete, minty one for less than $80 or so.  How much is a hairpiece worth (rhetorical question :D )?  I'm leaning toward looking for a refund, but still on the fence. . .
Back off man, I'm a scientist.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 3, 2011, 11:56 PM »
You should contact him and say you either want a full refund or that you will keep it if he gives you like $10 back.  That way you get an even better deal and wont take as big of a hit if a complete one comes around later.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
  • Boba Fett?! Boba Fett?! WHERE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 4, 2011, 12:23 AM »
That's a bummer, and real shady if he knew it was a custom haircut (or was the barber himself.)  I'd say JediJman's suggestion sounds good. If the seller were to give you a partial refund and let you keep Luke, it would definitely be worth it to hang on to until you see another one. Might be worth it to keep even without the refund--it's a sweet kubrick.  If you resell it down the line and  mention the hairpiece in your auction you'd probably still get 20-30 bux for it.