Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 106322 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2009, 01:13 AM »
Damn those Trekkies... 

http://www.trekyourself.com/?mId=30184220.3

Damn them to hell, and their green blooded, pointy eared, bowl cut friends too!

What the hell is that?

That is scary stuff, that's what that is...  I'm very upset.  The Trekkies are slapping us in the face with their lilly white gloves.

Dance off.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 03:49 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2009, 11:49 PM »
Finally saw this (Tuesday now apparently you get in and get a regular popcorn, regular drink all for about $10).  I gotta admit, I liked it.  Quite a bit. 

I can definitely pick nits all day with it, but overall I really enjoyed it.  Was it fluffy and lacking depth compared to the old Trek?  Yeah, I'd agree with that (and it might prove more popular because of it - I wouldn't suggest most of the movie going public is capable of in depth thought). 

Did it wreak havoc with the cannon of old-school Trek?  Yup, but I thought aside from the general lameness of time travel, they did a good job of explaining away the old school stuff.  They did a fine job paying homage to a lot of the old school Trek stuff at the same time though - Spock's emotional conflict, Kirk's sluttiness, Sulu's swordsmanship, Chekov's miserable accent, McCoy's irreverance for things in his way, Scotty's sense of humor (was that an Ugnaught with him?) and Uhura's innate and total hotness.  Yow. 

It didn't take itself too seriously.  Oh how I long for those days. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2009, 11:56 PM »
Uhura definitely was smokin' hot...  I never had that going for original Uhura, even on the original show, but this one, definitely.

I thought Scotty's little buddy, who I hope comes back in some fashion and gets a figure, looked like a Jabba's Palace Klaatu, that just also happened to be an Oompa Loompa.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2009, 12:12 AM »
Keenser, played by Deep Roy.

Keenser

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2009, 01:36 AM »
http://www.trekyourself.com/?mId=30184220.3

I'm still mad about that...  In the nerd world, that's just uncalled for.

(Don't open it at work if your computer has speakers!)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2009, 01:44 AM »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2009, 11:15 AM »
Okay. Finally saw it. I honestly don't know what to think about it. It's a weird feeling to realize that a story you followed and cared about is now dead with no hope of continuation and in a sense, never happened.

That said, I would certainly recommend the movie. I'm objective enough to know the difference between what I don't like personally and what works as entertainment for a general audience.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2009, 01:21 PM »
I don't think the last 40 some years are dead and over - I think there's potential to revisit the Original Recipie universe, but I looked at it as this film gave a jolt to a franchise which was dead and over anyway.  Either something like this happened - and I might argue the method too - or the franchise lied dormant and forgotten.  I really enjoyed the movie, really enjoyed how they brought life back to these characters and put them all back where they should be.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2009, 03:49 PM »
Exactly as Spuffy said... I  watch TNG all the time, any time it's on, and I'll forever love it...  This is just a new direction.  There are, always, alternate realities in Star Trek.  For instance, the mirror mirror universe which is in continuation into ST: DS9 for instance.  It's gone on just as the ST:TNG universe carried on into the movies...

Likewise, the ALl Good Things universe (the future) carried on, but by Q's meddling, the ST:TNG timeline took a new route where Riker/Worf didn't have a fallout over Troi, and where Picard could maybe avoid his fate with his health due tot he early detection of it...  Etc.

ST's copout of time travel, and alternative universes/realities, is bad to many, but to me it opens the ability for retelling the ST universe now somewhat, and going forward with a new series of movies at least.

Remember the multiple Enterprises in the one ST:TNG episode?  Or Yesterday's Enterprise?

This is hardly a precedent setter. ;)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 25, 2009, 12:20 PM »
Too bad Star Wars doesn't have alternate realities. Then we could pretend the prequals never happened.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2009, 02:42 AM »
Infinities...  ?  Though I like to pretend it didn't happen.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 26, 2009, 10:29 AM »
Too bad Star Wars doesn't have alternate realities. Then we could pretend the prequals never happened.

They made Star Wars prequels?  ;)

The alternate reality thing can be over done, and in this case, I think it is. It's always fun to entertain the idea as an aside to the main time line, but when the idea becomes the the main time line, I personally think it's too far. But that's me. And who am I compared to the nearly $200M in ticket sales in three weeks?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 26, 2009, 02:45 PM »
I saw it yesterday and liked it quite a bit.  Eomer kicked ass as Bones.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2009, 02:48 PM »

"My ex-wife took the entire planet in the divorce, all I've got left are my bones" - great line.  :)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #134 on: May 26, 2009, 03:33 PM »

I had no idea that's who that was.  Now that you say that though, I see the resemblance in the face.