Author Topic: Marvel Universe  (Read 282436 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Marvel Universe
« Reply #1290 on: June 14, 2012, 06:18 PM »
Those look terrible.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: June 14, 2012, 09:28 PM »
the only total upsets for me are that Cyclops and Jean are on the same tired old bucks.  I see good things to look about the others in the set.  Swivel thighs and it looks like some clear parts on the Iceman when you look at the actual figure (not back of the box).  I like the black/blue on Sinister, though I understand most people just want him blue.  Apoc looks pretty cool - kinda similar to how I remember him back in the old X-Men cartoon, but not exactly.  Angel I can't complain about at all since it we don't have any other releases of him, yet.  IIRC then that means he will be in a blue suit then for his single card release.

Though I do understand how some people, probably carded collectors are especially, are upset about not getting a human version of Beast in the set.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 18, 2012, 10:23 AM »
Found a Red Hulk, Grey Hulk, and translucent Iron Spidey this morning at a Wal Mart that has had nothing but two Absorbing Men for months.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1293 on: June 18, 2012, 11:16 AM »
Is it the Red Hulk the new sculpt?
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: June 18, 2012, 03:02 PM »
It was this one:

So far I've only heard of the new sculpt coming in the Heroic Age Heroes 3-Pack with Iron Man and Thor...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:16 PM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1295 on: June 18, 2012, 10:41 PM »
Got ya, i guess i am just hoping i dont need to buy the 3-pack.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 19, 2012, 01:57 PM »
The new Hulk is also in that WM exclusive Avengers set with Hawkeye, Loki and Iron Man... $30 though, so I haven't bit the bullet despite needing a comic Hawkeye and Loki too
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: June 19, 2012, 07:26 PM »
But that one's green.  8)
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: June 25, 2012, 08:49 PM »
so....  just to throw it on here, there are a bunch of rumors floating around from people in the know that this line may be ending.  Several people "in the know" have put some hints out there on other sites...

lets hope it isn't true!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: June 25, 2012, 08:59 PM »
so....  just to throw it on here, there are a bunch of rumors floating around from people in the know that this line may be ending.  Several people "in the know" have put some hints out there on other sites...

lets hope it isn't true!

Really?  That's a little surprising, as it seems like it just got going.  They've had a good run of figures (although a dry spell this year a bit so far), and I think they've gotten worlds better than those initial waves.  I wonder if they're going to put more effort/resources into Legends, or if they're going to make a cheap out line for Marvel like some of the strange things we've seen with Star Wars (less articulation, etc.)  Or, maybe they're just going to focus on movie stuff since there seems to be at least two Marvel movies every year (Iron Man 3, Wolverine, and Thor 2 next year....Amazing Spider-Man 2, Cap 2, and a TBA movie in 2014, if schedules hold).  Where did you see this news at?

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: June 25, 2012, 09:15 PM »
My bet is shifting to movie lines

this from D. Martin at Scum

You know, according to a source with the company, Hasbro seems to be moving away from the MU line. If you dig this collection, you need to go out of your way to support it. I suggest polite emails to Hasbro and if you are attending SDCC, mature and articulate discussions with the people you see in the Hasbro booth.

i think user swpaul posted something similar as above over on Toyark.

this from Curto over on the Scum boards

Someone on Twitter told me to check out this thread....funny how times have changed.

It's not a rumor...dark days are coming. 

Since it's pretty well known that I'm a HUGE fan of this line, I don't think it will come as a big shocker when I say that I'm very disappointed by this (yes, technically still unofficial) news. I've actually known some things for quite awhile now, but when someone tells you something in confidence, you well, keep it confidential.

There are still plenty of great figures planned in the MU line (you may recall a really big sneak peek that came out from SDCC)...but with all the changes over at Hasbro this year, who knows if these will ever actually come out? Most of the Hasbro team responsible for bringing the line out are no longer even around.
Dave Vonner? gone (but now started up Kasual Friday).
Scott George? gone (but now started up Kasual Friday).
Jerry Jivoin? now over on Transformers.

Other factors that are playing into this are situation with the Chinese factories, the higher expense of pretty much EVERYTHING involved with creating action figures. And of course the elephant in the room...the terrible distribution Hasbro has had in 2012 (and in 2011 (and in 2010 (and in 2009 (and in 2008))))

The pattern of the past few years is pretty obvious: the spring focuses solely on whatever spring big-screen movie line is coming (hoping to attract the kids), then the fall sees the return of the collector-focused lines (Star Wars, Marvel Universe). This then carries over through the holidays.

Furthering complicating matters, nearly every single movie line pegwarms and ends up on clearance. Yes, the case assortments are bizarre, and the character selection is very heavy on "A" list characters, but I give Vonner major credit for going as deep as they were able to go. The line evolved over time and saw many improvements since the beginning. Having a Fans' Choice early in the line was a great way to get fans involved with the character selection ever since (you HAVE noticed that there's been a lot of these characters made from that poll? I wish that Vance Astro would finally get made, but it seems unlikely now)

This sounds pretty bleak, but I don't really mean it to be. There are some great new figures planned, that new Hulk? awesome. I got a huge smile when I first heard about Beta Ray Bill and Beast, plus there were some other surprises coming that well, who knows if they'll even get made?

There are a LOT of kit-bashes and repaints coming, and although that's been an aspect of the line since the beginning, they could do a lot more for years to come with the parts they now have in their library.

Another thing...this is not limited to just Marvel Universe, either. But that's something that should probably stay confidential...

Oh, and as for Mattel doing a DC line in this scale...never say never, but I wouldn't hold out hopes that it will be as good as MU. They've had years to do something, and they just can't seem to get it right. But that's because there's a different philosophy on what action figures actually ARE over at Mattel. DCIH was an interesting attempt, but that line was always treated as a "good enough" toy line, and Green Lantern and Dark Knight followed the trend.

and there is a thread of people discussing it at marvelousnews.com and toyark - but it is all just discussion and speculation based off the above
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 09:19 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: June 25, 2012, 09:46 PM »
Too bad if it's true as it will pretty much spell the end of me collecting anything Hasbro.  It was tough to make the switch to another line but after I made that decision I was much happier with the smaller scale for display purposes.  There's still quite a few pieces I'd like them to make but I'll be fine if it dies. 

The movie stuff sucks for collectors.  I completely understand why the company prefers it - kids buy it and that equals more money than just collectors.  It's just too bad that Hasbro repeatedly proves themselves to not really understand how to move it to collectors at the same time as kids.  How many cancelled waves from how many movies have their been?  Not trying to bask the company but really the evidence is pretty clear that they have their heads up their arse in the marketing department.  Yes, yes, the eight year old wants two or three Iron Man or (supposedly) Indiana Jones figures directly related to the movie in the theater or on DVD, but you can sell those and the villains/minor characters to the collectors as well AT THE SAME TIME if you mix your assortments just a little more cleverly. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1302 on: June 26, 2012, 12:50 AM »
Sucks if the line goes...This part of the quote concerns me more though "Another thing...this is not limited to just Marvel Universe, either. But that's something that should probably stay confidential..."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: June 26, 2012, 03:08 AM »
I don't follow MU close enough to know if there were other signs, but when, right after Toy Fair, it was announced that Vonner was laid off I think anyone paying attention could see the writing on the wall.

I'm assuming that Curto's comment will have something to do with Star Wars but it could also do with GI Joe or Transformers after the problems those lines have suffered over the last 6 months to a year (Joe, specifically but TF has had probs also).

I would not be surprised to see a big shift in the Star Wars lines, though.  With the way DePriest was speaking at TF, I really believe we'll see the end of Vintage Collection sometime around the end of the year and the replacement line, even though it'll have some collector focus, will probably move in the direction that the Clone Wars and Movie Heroes lines are headed; less articulation, fewer accessories, more re-packs/re-paints/kitbashes.  I would also not be surprised to see the Movie Heroes line go away and have just one Saga line...what might happen with the CW line I'm not sure yet.  With the treatment it got this year, Hasbro could pull the plug on that also and do any future CW characters in realistic style like they did for the Tartakovsky Micro Series characters/outfits and they started with this year's Anakin/Obi/Ahsoka figs.

I just hope they don't can the MU releases until I get my Rogue figure!!!

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: June 26, 2012, 09:33 AM »
Yeah, that is a major bummer...I was hoping they would one day get around to stuff from their satellite Marvel properties like Dreadstar and Alien Legion.

MU was the one line I felt like Hasbro got right for the most part. The new waves seemed to ship with some regularity, they sold through pretty briskly, and it was never that impossible to find stuff you wanted. (Aside from that #$%^* Astral Dr Strange!)

So yeah, smart idea to kill the one line that WASN'T irreparably broken.

Why was Curto posting over at RS again? They don't deserve the benefit of his knowledge.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy