Author Topic: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 7  (Read 118330 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 7
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2011, 02:17 AM »
So I was fiddling with my Trooper(s) tonight...  :-X

I decided to swap out heads a bit.  In my experimenting, I found a ton of different headsculpts that fit the new RFT perfectly, or come pretty close to fitting.  Even the new Endor Trooper ALMOST fits, and is just a tad loose.  The McQuarrie Rebel fits, tons of pilots, etc.  Lots of head swapping is possible with this figure, which I should've mentioned as a positive to the figure since I think Hasbro  has acknowledged that (if they can) they're trying to make neck pegs reusable between figures ala G.I. Joe...  For some reason they say it's not a simple thing to do, but they seem to have accomplished it with this figure at least.

Of my five, I have 2 now with Hoth Trooper headsculpts (clean and bearded), and 2 with the original head.  Captain Needa fits though and he's pretty generic.  I even used the one guy with a pony tail from a Legacy comic pack, some of the random EU heads, various troop builders, even Clone/Jango heads sometimes fit this neckpeg pretty well.  Some are snug, some are a little loose though and just a hair away from fitting the neckpeg.  Regardless, lots of headswapping is psosible, so good luck to those wanting to do that.

Also was giving them different weapons...  I always envisioned the Rebels as organized, but with elements of "rag tag" to them.  Like the first organized U.S. military in the Revolution.  We'd have our "regulars" and our militia...  the militia have the ragtag look, and the regulars have a more uniformed look.  The things that cost the most, would have the most ragtag look about them though, weapons especially.

So I started giving them Stormtrooper rifles and things.  They looked neat with them.  They also look pretty badass lugging the typical Rebel rifle around, or some Clone Wars military surplus like Droid blasters or Clone rifles...  I can't wait to have a 1000 of this figure. :P

Also, here's a weird fact about the Trooper...

I took apart my messed up arm trooper tonight, and noticed that the way he's sculpted (his vest hangs down over his belt partway down his lower torso), there is a large gap underneath the vest where the upper/lower torso's connect, that would easily accomodate a separately sculpted belt/holster.

This is odd...  It's clearly a big gap beneath the vest, right at the belt-line.  I'm wondering if a belt/holster was planned, but got the axe?  There is definitely space though, regardless.  It just seems too perfect for a separately scuplted belt/holster for it to be a coinky dink, but yet it could also just be that way to add "depth" to the vest too.  If the belt did get the axe though, I really wish we hadn't gotten the leg doo-dads or scanner gun then.  Maybe even the hat.  :-\
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:22 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 13, 2011, 08:29 PM »
Ok, I got mine and paid, so Guess what is back on the menu at Tung's store?

RFTs and Bespin Han!!!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #167 on: May 13, 2011, 08:37 PM »
For twice the price.  Too bad.  Big pass.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 13, 2011, 08:48 PM »
It is all relative, with the price of gas and time spent, the fact the RFT is one per case and the unstable retail prices, I think paying appoximately $14 for a figure that will retail at $9 is not that bad.  Basically would I have bought them all if I found them at TRU or the Grocery store?  Yup.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2011, 09:24 PM »
wow, Han is $13, and RFT, LOgray and Bom are all $14.   ;D

anyway, cant wait to get them at retail.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2011, 10:03 PM »
Damn.  Tunghori got greedy.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2011, 11:52 PM »
Wow...  Well, at least they're back I guess, but pricey.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #172 on: May 14, 2011, 12:16 AM »
I was checking out the 3 new figures...

Clicky

Logray looks like typical Ewok fare, pretty slick...  Kinda hard to digest at $8.99, but he'll do.  A definite pass for customizing fodder though because of the price.

Bom Vimdin...  Pure awesomeness to me, since he's the Cantina dude I've wanted the most now for a while (as Hasbro keeps knocking them out pretty steadily).  Love the deco, love the detail...  Loving that he has a rifle he totally doesn't need (and most Cantina dudes don't come with extra weaponry).  I forget but his background I think is a bounty hunter in the EU, so the gun makes sense from that perspective.

Han Bespin...  The gem.  Jeff's gotta love that!  My only gripe, obviously, is no thigh-strap...  Hasbro's got one on Bom even, and not Han.  They've mentioned looking into it in Q&A's, and it's totally doable.  I'm disappointed on that, the same way I'm disappoitned the Fleet Trooper lacks a holster.  :-\

That said, it's one flaw on what looks to be an otherwise flawless figure.  I mean that's some really sharp sculpting, and though the goggles obscurei t slightly, I think the likeness is looking like it may be Hasbro's best work for a Ford figure...  Love the welder/goggles too, though I'd have appreciated the holster thigh-strap more.

I'm already scheming how I could do the thigh-strap myself.  Round elastic would work, but finding it in brown may be a bitch.  It'd work great though if you just drilled a hole in the back of the holster and ran it into there, tied it, and voila...  Probably the most functional style that could exist.  I may practice that on another Han, just to see how it'd look.

One other flaw...  His blaster just doesn't seem right anymore.  The  Commtech pistol had its day, but I'd have dug an update to the gun with this figure I thinki.  Especially since it seems there's a number of re-used bits with this figure now.

Still great, but not flawless.  Not much is, if anything ever is, but the way things are priced I'm more much more aware of it I think.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 14, 2011, 12:52 AM »
Bom Vimdin...  Pure awesomeness to me, since he's the Cantina dude I've wanted the most now for a while (as Hasbro keeps knocking them out pretty steadily).  Love the deco, love the detail...  Loving that he has a rifle he totally doesn't need (and most Cantina dudes don't come with extra weaponry).  I forget but his background I think is a bounty hunter in the EU, so the gun makes sense from that perspective.

Of course he's a bounty hunter. If not, he'd be a spy, criminal, assassin or a rebel sympathizer who later flew a fighter at the Battle of Endor. Nobody in that bar was a drunk who worked at the hardware store or an insurance salesman.

He's the must have figure of the wave for me. Because he's never been made and likely won't be reissued after this.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #174 on: May 14, 2011, 02:12 AM »
At least bounty hunter's a pretty common profession, whether anyone's good at it or not. :)

That is the EU's greatest downfall...  Even ICMG got turned into this super spy.  Pure horse****.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 14, 2011, 08:54 AM »
Did anyone get their RFT's from the second batch yet? I'm still waiting for mine.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 14, 2011, 02:15 PM »
It seems like most of you are satisfied with Tunghori.  I am thinking of just going for a couple of his items the next time around.  I'm sick of retail and buying cases.  I'm not a fan of paying $14 for stolen warehouse figures or wherever he gets them from,  but it's better than nothing at all. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #177 on: May 14, 2011, 09:28 PM »
I posted a full review on the front page of my RFT's from the 2nd batch...

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 14, 2011, 09:37 PM »
Did anyone get their RFT's from the second batch yet? I'm still waiting for mine.

Yes,had them for some time now.

Anyone else niotice that Capt Fordo was there for sale? (54 sold very quickly)
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #179 on: May 15, 2011, 11:12 PM »
Despite having 3 cases on preorder I bit on a Han, i could not resist he looks better than I thought. I wanted several other figures and grabbed him along with x2 Barris's and others for some custom work.

On a unrelated side note I am also upgrading my EP3 Jedi Starfighters with real droids so I needed a Kit astro from Tunghori. The New Kit can actually fit in a EP3 Starfighter. I gave him Anakins Green post Darkside.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/