Author Topic: NHL 2011-2012 Regular Season  (Read 28490 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: NHL 2011-2012 Regular Season
« Reply #60 on: April 6, 2012, 10:08 PM »
It's sad how much the Northwest has dropped off as a Division over the last few years. Vancouver hasn't had much real competition late in the season for the division title for a few years.

I still think the Avs can make a run for the playoffs this year. They did certainly make it a lot harder on themselves with that loss to Columbus though. If they miss the playoffs by a point or two, that will be the game that lost it for them.

Add last night's other loss to Columbus and there goes the playoffs. I'm still pretty excited about this team in the future, but I think they need to add a good veteran goal scorer in free agency this year. But they won't of course. They had a few disappointing games down the stretch, but really have played great since the end of January or so and have been a lot of fun to watch.

I'm not sure who I'm pulling for in the playoffs this year. Vancouver I suppose.
"This is the way."

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 7, 2012, 01:56 AM »
I'm not sure who I'm pulling for in the playoffs this year. Vancouver Boston I suppose.

Fixed that for ya.  ;)

I'm not sure that my Bruins have what it takes to repeat.  They've looked fairly shaky, I'm just not sure what to expect.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 7, 2012, 10:20 PM »
OT loss to finish the season and Stamkos pots his 60th goal against us.  At least the crowd showed some class and gave him a standing O. 

Missed the playoffs in a pretty lame ass division but I don't think there are many people around here who care much about that.  An absolutely incredible year that flew by.  Welcome back to Winnipeg, NHL, we missed ya. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 7, 2012, 10:53 PM »
No worries Morgbug at least now you get to draft ahead of the lightning. Barring a miracle 1.8 percent ping pong chance.

Crazy that fans in the peg are the only ones in the league that boo Stamkos every time he touches the puck. The kid is a great image for the league. It was nice to see the ovation though.

Now to play who do I hate more in each of the playoff match ups.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #64 on: April 8, 2012, 01:19 AM »
Out of the blue I got some free tickets to tonight's season finale against the Predators. Ninth row behind the bench. Too bad they lost 6-1. But it was good to finally make it to a game this year
"This is the way."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 8, 2012, 03:27 PM »

Crazy that fans in the peg are the only ones in the league that boo Stamkos every time he touches the puck. The kid is a great image for the league. It was nice to see the ovation though.

They boo the top player for each team, so it's nothing personal against Stamkos.  There's a lot of respect for his level of talent. 

I'm not sure why the fans started booing the top player, it doesn't make sense.  But you aren't going to fight it so might as well join it.  It lacks class, but it seems to be what's done now.  I'm only at a quarter of the games so it's not up to me.  It is what it is.  I think the only thing to take away is that the fans are just that engaged in the game up here.  We're just having fun. 

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 8, 2012, 08:47 PM »
I did not know they did that for every team's top player. We save that for people who really go above and beyond live Ovie's "my stick is on fire" 50th goal celebration. He still gets booed every time he touches the puck. Lindros is the only other person I can think of that we have given that treatment to.

It is great to have Winnipeg back, and the fans. I talked to a guy last week that flew himself and his two boys down to Tampa to see a game because they could not get tickets up there.

I'd love to see Quebec City get their team back too. There is something magical about seeing a game played in Canada.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 8, 2012, 10:51 PM »
A lot of people travelled to see a lot of Jets games this year.  I know Phoenix was a huge draw at home against the Jets and there were several hundred that attended that game.  Minnesota was even bigger, simply because lots of Winnipeggers make that drive for mini-vacations all the time as it's only seven hours.  Three thousand Jets fans made the trip for the game in St. Paul.  Very cool. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2012, 01:32 PM »
Edmonton gets the #1 pick again?  Man, they are going to be dangerous when all those young kids get some XP.

As for Lord Stanley's Cup, I'll go...

NY, BOS, NJ, PHI in the East
and
VAN, SJ, CHI, and DET in the West

Man, the 4/5 match-ups are going to be great games.  Pit/PHI will be a slugfest and NAS/DET could also go either way...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2012, 04:22 PM »
Out of the blue I got some free tickets to tonight's season finale against the Predators. Ninth row behind the bench. Too bad they lost 6-1. But it was good to finally make it to a game this year

That was a fun one to watch on TV...

Leaving work in an hour to start the proper amount of pregame drinking. Should be a good atmosphere at the arena tonight, it's time to step up to the big boy table and send the Wings packing for once.

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2012, 06:26 PM »
Since the Lightning own the rights to Detroit's first round pick.....Go Nashville... It's the playoffs, I have to root for something.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2012, 06:42 PM »
Good luck Preds.  Tough series to call.  If Rinne had been playing better towards the end of the season I'd be a little more confident about the Preds chances.  I'm cheering for them, but I'm not sure they have the experience to do it. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2012, 12:08 PM »
I'm cheering for them, but I'm not sure they have the experience to do it.

Well, Weber sure cranked things up a notch at the end by mashing Henrik's head into the glass seconds after trying to first punch him in the back of the head.  DET is not going to be happy about that...  wonder if Smashville is nervous about the fact that the guy currently handing out the suspensions is a former Red Wing. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2012, 01:47 PM »
Blues... just win a series.  Or two.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2012, 02:36 PM »
My picks (winners in italics):

East
OTT v NYR
WSH v BOS
NJD v FLA
PHI v PIT (though Pittsburg is a thorn in the Ranger's side.   >:( )

West
LAK v VAN
SJS v STL
CHI v PHX
DET v NSH