Author Topic: The Avengers: The Toys  (Read 108069 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Avengers: The Toys
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2012, 08:48 AM »
I've seen a ton of this drek polluting the toy aisles. It is going to fester badly I suspect.

The problem as I see it is that most of these figures have already been long available from their individual movies. Most retailers had just barely managed to clearance out their pegwarming Thor and Captain America merchandise before this wave of Avengers stuff hit. And I think it's safe to surmise the Thor and Captain America toys did not sell well. Plus the overwhelming saturation of iron Man toys...ugh, that stuff has been laying around forever. How long ago did that second movie come out?

Black Widow and Hawkeye just don't have enough buzz surrounding them to generate much interest on their own. The only thing that seems like it would be remotely interesting from this line would be the villains, but we all know Hasbro doesn't want to make toys out of bad guys. Asshats.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2012, 10:58 AM »
They seem to be selling ok here too, not great but not pegwarming either.  There is always plenty on the pegs when I visit the stores, and I can't say that any of the early wave figures are all that difficult to find (although I've never seen an unmasked Cap figure).  This is an example of whether or not kids care about action figures anymore.  The Avengers has to be the big movie of the summer for kids (aside from animated stuff), since it has way more buzz than Spidey and Batman is often too dark for most action-figure buying age kids.  If kids can't drive the sales of the Avengers toyline, that shows how little interest there is in that stuff.  I know I have seen kids looking at the stuff a lot though, particularly the large Hulk display at Target ;).

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2012, 12:44 PM »
Is it too early to declare this line a bust? My local stores never seemed to get much product last month when they originally hit... they sold through most of their initial cases and appear to have just never restocked, which is odd considering we're like a week away from the movie now and most of the Avengers pegs are either empty or crammed with leftovers from the Thor and Captain America lines. Not a good sign.

I'm not so sure.  Granted, I don't think the retailers are totally onboard with all of the Concept series figures.  I haven't seen that concept Hawkeye anywhere myself.  Out of the movie wave of figures, I rarley see Loki, the Hulk or Captain America.  Iron Man and Thor seem to be easy gets right now.

I think Hasbro may have overdone it a little with the Deluxe figures, Mech Armor and vehicles.  There doesn't seem to be a ton of interest in those items.  But my local TRU just put up a BIG Avengers feature section in the front of the store.  That's definitely going to kickstart the line with people who are more casual buyers.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2012, 12:55 PM »
I've only seen the concept figures at Walmart.  The local store sold through the first stock of it and I just saw more the other day, including concept Hawkeye.

Target and Walmart both sold through most of the first stocking of Avengers 3.75" toys and may have moved a few vehicles, specifically the Quinjet, but the 12" figures and most of the deluxe doesn't seem to be going anywhere.  I think some of the role play stuff has sold also.

I don't know if it's going to be a bust or not or what Hasbro considers a sucess or failure, but for me, it'll be a failure if we never see Widow, movie Hawkeye, Fury or Loki's army at retail.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2012, 01:52 PM »
more new stuff!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Interesting.  That sure looks like a skrull in there...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2012, 05:08 PM »
Interesting.  That sure looks like a skrull in there...

Gotta be a comic series figure.  Kind of like the Comic series (Ultimates) Thor or Captain America.

And now we finally see movie Hawkeye in an assortment, too.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:11 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2012, 06:10 PM »
So they put out a villain that is not actually IN the movie, but they won't release the actual villains that are IN the movie?

Check.  ::)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2012, 06:57 PM »
So they put out a villain that is not actually IN the movie, but they won't release the actual villains that are IN the movie?

maybe they are in the movie - maybe they are the Chitari but they dont want anyone to know it so they shifted into their form.  Then at the end of the movie we catch a glimpse 

:P

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2012, 08:45 PM »

From the look of the speeders in the TRU Times Square display, I think the Chitauri are probably part of the Deluxe figure line or some figure & vehicle assortment.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2012, 08:37 AM »
Good to see they are putting out a Hawkeye...not sure why there isn't a Nick Fury in there too...

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2012, 12:35 PM »
I can't remember, does the Hellicarrier have a pack in figure?  Maybe it is Fury and that is the only way he will be available?

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2012, 01:38 PM »
Nick Fury was in the photo that Nicklab took (I was there when he snapped it).

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2012, 02:25 PM »
Nick Fury appears to come with some sort of a rocket launcher accessory.  Usually a big accessory like that won't get included with a pack-in figure.  If anything, I'm hoping the Helicarrier might have a generic SHIELD agent to go with it.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:27 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2012, 02:45 PM »
How about Agent Coulson? He's made appearances in several of the movies.